Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Decide not to have surgery?

I was a volume eater when I was banded but 10 years later I had become a "slider" carb junky. It is because dense Protein and veggies often caused pain but junk food did not.

There are emotional reasons and there are physical reasons that obesity can win the battle.

Good luck, you can still win the war.

The lap band wasn't successful for me. I lost 80 lbs, but am gaining it all back. I am in therapy to find out what my issues with my weight are.

I didn't think I could eat so much with the lap band. Odd, but true, I can't eat healthy foods - throw them all up. I get hungry and only the junk like ice cream go down and stay down.

I think you might want to postpone the surgery. You can always get it later.

You will no doubt lose the weight on your own. However, statistically only 5% of people who lose weight on their own are able to keep it off. With WLS, the odds are higher @ 50%. However, WLS is a major committment that lasts longer than most marriages somyou have to be sure. It is a major decision thst is worth additional time and consideration. Certainly take more than 24 hrs to think about it. The worst feeling would be to wake up in 6 mos with the weight regained and alot of regret to boot!

My first thought to your post is Wow find another surgeon!! If they couldn't intubate you sounds like they are not very good at their craft. don't give up yet on surgery; it really is life changing and rewarding.

I myself just canceled... Too many signs not to do it.. Was on or table and couldn't intabate. Then rescheduled 3 weeks later, got sick 2 days before and also found out pre opp testing needed to be done over And along with 4 other intervention delays I realize someone doesn't want me to go threw with it. I lost 30pounds so far and I'm gonna work my butt off(literally) and lose the weight myself. I was so ready for this but too many complications so far and im taking this as devine intervention Lol good luck and hope you can do it

My first thought to your post is Wow find another surgeon!! If they couldn't intubate you sounds like they are not very good at their craft. don't give up yet on surgery; it really is life changing and rewarding.

It's the anesthesiologist, not the surgeon, who intubates you. And some people are more difficult to intubate than others are.

I lost 30pounds so far and I'm gonna work my butt off(literally) and lose the weight myself.

Ugh...I'm sorry you've had so many complications, but I agree, everything happens for a reason.

That said, those of us who have had surgery ALSO lost the weight ourselves. I can guarantee you that no one did it for me. I am sure you aren't implying that this is the easy/cheater/quick fix way to do things. I fought for every pound lost and I am mindful for every ounce regained. ;)

thanks...no not at all.. I really needed it to help me and I knew it would help keep it off rather then having set backs.. I'm saying i have no choice but to do this on my own because wls didn't work out for me..

Edited by blueEyez22

I myself just canceled... Too many signs not to do it.. Was on or table and couldn't intabate. Then rescheduled 3 weeks later, got sick 2 days before and also found out pre opp testing needed to be done over And along with 4 other intervention delays I realize someone doesn't want me to go threw with it. I lost 30pounds so far and I'm gonna work my butt off(literally) and lose the weight myself. I was so ready for this but too many complications so far and im taking this as devine intervention Lol good luck and hope you can do it

no the very opposite. He's Times top 5 ranked sergons in wls in NY... He's not the one who intabates and its not their fault, I have a very small opening with very lg adnoids.. Impossible to do without nasil fiberoctive intabation..

Cowgirl Jane,

Can you tell me how you overcame your dense Protein problem? I thought I was the only one that had something like that going on?

Terry

Cowgirl Jane,

Can you tell me how you overcame your dense Protein problem? I thought I was the only one that had something like that going on?

Terry

Simple ...removed band and revised to sleeve

@@MarciaN - I am so glad you reached a place of peace with your decision. That is what is most important. I did not respond to you earlier this week, but I have been thinking about your post yesterday and today and just thought I would share why.

I saw my therapist yesterday (which I highly recommend if you are not currently doing this) and we were discussing how this does feel different to me this time. But the reason it is different (and mind you I am only 5 months out next week) is that this time it is not out of sheer willpower. It is truly out of the inability and thus lack of desire (for the most part) to eat too much. The surgery is a tool (as you have read here many times before) and what that means to me is that it gives me the ability to lose the weight rather quickly WHILE I am learning and developing good habits. Ideally, by the time I get to goal weight, these habits will be engrained and I will be a new healthier eater. You have a head start on most of us going in to this because you have been doing so well for 8 months! You will do so great at this having already laid the foundation work. Best of luck and keep us posted!!

" odds are not in my favor to keep it off"

@@MarciaN

EEEEK

you didn't really say that, did you :o

you sound like you have a defeated attitude before you start

please don't go into WLS with the feeling you won't succeed

this is a serious lifetime decision

no one should ever have WLS if they aren't sure

you should think more, no hurry

whatever conclusion you come to

it's the right one for you

good luck

kathy

You misunderstood me, ProudGrammy- % of folks keeping off weight loss without the surgery seems to range anywhere from 1-5%. (I have done this over and over.) With WLS I have a MUCH better % of keeping it off.

remember that I never can seem to EVER get below 200. And the odds are not in my favor to keep it off.

@@MarciaN

i was responding to the post when you said you were going to have surgery (post #19)

you said in the middle of post "odds are not in my favor to keep it off"

so i responded (#40)

not sure what i misunderstood :wacko:

but all is good!!

LOL this is getting so silly with these #s!!

anyone who understood me, raise your right hand

if you didn't understand raise your left hand

if you are not sure, raise both hands LOL

lots of soul searching

hard to come to a decision

(personally i think you made a great one)

i am biased to saying that the Gastric Sleeve is the very very best :rolleyes:

surgery in a couple of weeks!!!

i have confidence in you

that you will be a success story

good luck bud

kathy