Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Decide not to have surgery?

I started my journey on March 1st. My insurance requires 6 months of supervised diet. By my 6 month mark I had lost about 42 pounds and was very excited to be sleeved. Took 3 weeks to get approved. Then when I had my preop testing my EKG came back "irregular". After well over a month and lots of tests I am happy to say that while my heart "beats to the beat of a different drummer"- this is perfectly healthy and fine for me. So last Friday the cardiologist gave me a "low risk" for surgery. My surgeon immediately scheduled me for Nov 24th.

Here is my dilemma... I started at 286 and am now 227 (59# loss) I still have 92 pound to goal. I am 7 pounds away from being below 40 BMI. I called my surgeons office today and told them I wanted to cancel. They told me to think about it for 24 hours and give them a call back tomorrow with my final decision.

Yes, I have been a yo-yo dieter- lost weight and then gained it back. The difference this time is that I was always "on a diet" and would actually try to "cheat the system". This time I feel like I have had a total mind shift and am concentrating on only putting good and healthy items into my body--and seem to be doing just fine for the last 8 months. I read about folks who after about 2 years from surgery start gaining weight back and then having to start all over. Not sure if I want the Constipation, gerd, and a plethora of other "inconveniences" that seem to be things that folks dealer with forever after surgery.

I would be so interested in hearing back from all of you and getting your input.

Thanks

I never had a problem losing weight. I did great on Weight Watchers, on Atkins, on South Beach…

My problem was maintaining my weight loss. Once I got to where I wanted to be, I lost focus and gained all my weight back. Plus some.

I've been at my goal weight for over a year and a half. My restriction is very good and my inability to eat some foods suits me well. I don't have to think about maintenance too much, it just happens for me naturally now. I don't regret this decision one bit despite some of the minor complications I've had.

Best of luck in your decision.

Congrats on the great accomplishment! 59 lbs loss before surgery says a lot about your mental strength.

Do you have any comorbidities associated with the weight? If so, how are they doing after the weight loss? For me, that was the final straw. I've been able to lose weight before, 3 years ago I lost around 75 pounds over 6 months... but I've always lost focus and gained it back. Diabetes, HBP, cholesterol, it seemed like every time I went to my PCP I got a new pill to take. Enough was enough, I knew I wouldn't see 40 if I continued the yo-yo dieting. WLS is a drastic measure, but I know it's what I needed.

Maybe you could push your surgery out 3-6 months and see how you are doing after some more time? Good luck on your journey whichever way it takes you!

I opted for sleeve surgery a few months back because my weight gain had been large enough that it was compromising my mobility. I had always had success with weight loss, the most being ten years ago when I lost 100 lbs. IN four years I gained it back and another 50 over the next few years after that. I knew I can lose the weight while dieting, but I was uncertain I could maintain it. The sleeve offered me the option to physically restrict food intake and calories. While it's only been three months, I am ecstatic with the results so far. It is hard work and tales perseverance, but I needed this change and I could not have accomplished what I have so far by dieting alone. You should takl a look and decide what works for you.

I have had no problems at all since surgery, and if I had the chance to do it over, I would. If you feel that it is not right for you then maybe it is not. If you can do it on your own hats off to you, I know I could not, I tried many times. I wish you best of luck no matter what you decide

i agree with goblue. i also lost weight too. over and over and over again. keeping it off was another story. but if you feel strong and motivated then by all means push it back. but i would say (as goblue said) push it 3 to 6 months and see where you're at. you want to have the option.

i was at a point of desperation when i chose this and i think that's where you have to be to make sure you don't regret it and that it's worth it to you.

years and years of yo yo dieting don't go away over night. but if your mind has shifted permanently then good for you. we all have our own journeys. :)

Edited by pr_pitbullgrl

Like @@LipstickLady losing weight was not the issue. The issue was doing it without feeling deprived, and keeping it off, both seemed impossible.

Ultimately no one has to live in your skin but you and it is your decision. I will just share my experience.

I am a good ketoer/lowcarber. I like it, I enjoy it, I can live it. I got a sugar free, clean eating lifestyle together long before surgery. I still struggled with portion sizes. Always. I'm a workaholic. I will work all day and forget to eat, then grind through a lot of calories. Surgery has allowed me to continue my Keto lifestyle, and made it effortless. I have no hunger, I can easily eat correct portions (in spite of people thinking we eat very little, when it comes to Protein we are eat the normal amounts most of the time, portion sizes are out of control). food doesn't rule my life. I feel like I have a lot of food freedom, even with a "restricted" diet.

Since you have already lost weight and seem to have your food under control you are going to be successful than most people. Just search here for all the people asking when they can eat xyz, and those are the people that are going to regain. Most people are not in the right head space for surgery, if you just had 80-90% of your stomach removed and your biggest concern is when you can get a kitkat or a slice of pizza, your long term success seems unlikely. You are ahead of the curve! You are really ready for surgery.

Today is the youngest you are ever going to be in life. If you delay and have to go down this road again, you are only going to be worse off.

Also a lot of us don't have issues. We just don't post everyday how great it is not to have a lot of the issues other people have because it seems rude. No one really wants to read how awesome someone else is doing when they are miserable.

If you think you are in the right frame of mind to take it off and keep it off, I say go for it. If you can't maintain the weight loss, that's when you reconsider surgery. You need to be sure you want to do this...or so desperate that you have no choice. I was the latter. I was likely only weeks or months from being wheelchair bound due to joint degeneration and at 267 lbs, not a good candidate for hip replacement surgery.

If co-morbidities are not impacting you...or only minimally...again, you may be able to wait this out and see what happens.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

I think your plan is a good one, but for a very specific reason. You will either be successful at maintaining your losses this time, or you won't (I am rooting for you!). If you are not, you will be much clearer on why WLS is worth the "risk" of some of the side effects. I believe that being "all in" can be pretty helpful. If you have mixed feelings/feel like you could have done it without surgery etc - you might be one of those people who regret the choice.

I had tried everything (except drugs) and could never maintain losses.

I finally reached the point where I couldn't even lose weight very readily anymore (yikes!) and I was very obese.

I had no doubt in my mind that WLS was my only way out of the spiraling downhill health and happiness of life...

I would never try to persuade someone to have this surgery. YOU have to want it because you're comfortable having it.

Speaking purely about myself ... I was certain (at 68 years old) I'd never lose all the weight I needed to lose or that I'd be able to maintain the weight loss even if I could lose all that weight -- since I'd NEVER maintained a significant weight loss for longer than few weeks in my whole life. And I was completely gung ho and committed to being the most successful sleeved patient the world had ever seen. At 14+ months post-op, I've lost 95 pounds, reached my goal at 8.5 months post-op, and am now at 140 pounds and maintaining very stably. And I feel stable, something I've never, ever felt at the end of a weight loss experience.

So I say, if you're not feeling gung ho about this surgery, don't have the surgery. Go for the continued weight loss by doing what you're doing now. If you achieve your goal and can maintain your weight, yea, you! After all, as many as 5% of those who lose a lot of weight without WLS do maintain their weight loss -- and you could be in that minority who do achieve maintenance.

P.S. For the record, I am not constipated or suffer from GERD any more than I did pre-op. My hair's all grown back, my knees don't hurt anymore, and I have more non-scale victories than I have time to list here. Doesn't mean you have to have WLS to achieve similar victories. But I certainly did. Very, very best to you!

P.P.S. If you're not in therapy right now, please consider it. There are reasons why we don't care for ourselves well enough to avoid obesity, which is a disease that spirals out of control. Yes, many of us have the dice loaded against us. But we also contribute to our disease's spiral through our self-neglect.

I have lost weight and regained it over and over again. I even kept it off ( 80 lbs) for 8 yrs once and thought I had licked the problem. Not so, gradually it came creeping back. When life is busy, or major stresses happen it was very hard to remain focused in the right way on my weight as well as not to use food for comfort. Now I have a tool that reminds me not to eat when I am stressed, busy etc etc. I wish I had done this years ago.Even if there is some regain down the road (I hope not) I believe I will always remain closer to a normal weight no matter what life throws at me. I cook at lot for others and that in itself makes life harder for those of us that love food. A small portion of what I make for them is just fine and greatly enjoyed these days.

I'm with the rest of the group in the fact that I could and did lose significant amounts of weight repeatedly in the past (50+ lbs) in the past with diet and exercise attempts. Maintaining that loss was where I failed. With my sleeve I've managed to lose more than I ever did with previous dieting attempts and don't feel like I'm alway white knuckling it trying to maintain my willpower. I'm not at maintenance yet (only 4 months out), but I'm 75% of the way to my goal weight and for the first time in my life actually feel confident I can get there!

Thanks everyone for your wonderful feedback. I will have a lot to think about this evening.

I'm in the same boat right now. I have 2 more nutrition visits, and should be able to schedule surgery in December or January . . . BUT, I just started Keto. Cleaned sugar and carbs OUT of my house and my life. Made the decision, and realized that sugar was poison to me. I lost almost 10lbs the first week, and the weight loss has slowed down a little. I'm giving myself until December 15th to make the decision. If I'm still losing, and haven't been cheating, then I will postpone. My insurance doesn't reset until June 30, 2016 . . so I have until then for my deductible. I talked to my cousin, and asked her (she's on Keto, and had the sleeve 2 years ago) if she was me, would she have the surgery - she said YES! For her, (and for me typically), we are all gung ho on the diets for a month or two, then we fall off the wagon. I will most likely still do it, but I'm not going to rush my decision.

Thanks, I am typically like that too. But for some reason I have not been having any trouble following this high Protein diet for 8 months now. I don't feel hungry and don't seem to be having the uncontrollable urges that I used to have. I also am very aware that I am addicted to food and can fall off the wagon at any time. (That is why I am constantly reading BariatricPal to keep me motivated and for the support.) I wish you well on your journey. Is Keto a special program?