Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I ever be able to eat Pizza again?

I am just a little over 2 weeks out and I have been doing well with fighting the cravings, but really sad about the things I did not eat before my surgery. I just want to know, will I ever be able to eat the things I love again, like will I be able to physically digest it? And this question is for people 2 months or more post-surgery. Will I ever get down a slice of pizza again, what about just the toppings, or a piece of fried chicken or fish, or a hamburger including the bun. I am not saying that I want to eat this things on a regular basis, I really have no desire to, but will I ever be able to eat it once in a blue moon?? Personal experiences are very helpful. Thanks.

To be honest, you will probably be able to eat just about anything you want eventually in small portions. The question is not if you can but if you should.

The goal is to not want to. At 2 weeks you have a lot of cravings. Being on liquids for weeks will do that you. Once you get further out and have more options you won't have as many cravings.

If you can cook, you can have all your favorites if you make them yourself. I make pizza with cauliflower crust, it is delicious you don't taste cauliflower at all. you can make fried chicken and fried fish and just use low carb coating, brown them a little in olive oil and then bake them in the oven. The thing is you probably won't like fried foods after surgery, they will make you not feel the best and you will gravitate to better options.

If you follow your food stages and steps, you relearn how to eat and you get pushed down a healthy track. Take advantage of that.

Search "regained" and you can see all the mistakes other people have made, so you can avoid them.

You can enjoy a lot of food, I am only 3 months and I feel like I basically eat like a normal person. I have a wide variety of healthy tasty options.

Hey @@ThickFit504! So I am a little over 4months out and Ive had a half slice of pizza and that was really pushing it for me. Mainly because outside of that I eats NO bread or Pasta. Just dont have a taste for it. When I eat burgers it on lettuce or just plain without bread and its never a whole burger in one sitting. I can eat drumstick (fried chicken), if I get gready and eat 2 I always end up throwing up(no matter how slow I eat it. Fish I can get a good amount in... But I find myself trying new things weekly to see what works for me and portions works without me having to throw up or just straight discomfort! I feel like Im in this try & error phaze. But its coming along... Hopes this helps! Wish u luck on ur journey

I had a slice of pizza last night, ate the toppings and part of the crust. Just have to not make it a habit.

I'm 13 months out and I've had pizza twice, both at work functions where pizza was all that was served. However, I was the one who placed the order, so I was able to order something relatively healthy. I got a thin crust veggie lovers with ham added. One small slice and I'm full. :)

I've had pizza a few times, but I only ate the topping. We make chicken burgers or turkey burgers all the time, but no bread. I usually eat it with a small salad or veggies and can't finish the whole burger.

Recently I had a burger from Portillo's ( it used to be my favorite fast food spot for burgers) but I didn't eat the bun. Instead, I bought low carb heathy choice bread, toasted it and ate 1 slice with my burger.

Unfortunately, I was not one of those who lost the taste for fast & fattening foods but I have learned to modify them and eat it sparingly.

I make pizza with cauliflower crust, it is delicious you don't taste cauliflower at all. \

Can you share this recipe?

Thanks, this was truly helpful. I know I am not at the point where I can eat any of that, but I just had to know.

I'm over a year out and have never tried those things. I probably could eat them but I have no desire to. Just not worth it. I'll have a hamburger wrapped in lettuce. That's fine for me. No desire to eat anything fried.

I had a small piece of pizza yesterday and I'm 7 weeks out. It did sit kinda heavy in my stomach. I was craving it and doc said it was ok. Now that I got that out of my system, I think I'll be able to leave it alone now.

@@Pillar2butterfly

I have tried a few. I had the most success with this one.

http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2015/08/24/foolproof-cauli-pizza-pepperoni

You can also make pizza crust using Bobs Red Mill Low Carb bake mix. More carbs but not bad carbs. Just use a standard Pizza Crust recipe, and sub the sugar with a sweetener. You won't get the rise you get with standard pizza crust but it makes a nice thin crust.

http://www.bobsredmill.com/low-carb-baking-mix.html

I'm 4 months out. I will not lie, I have had a cheeseburger. However, I don't eat the bun. I just eat the meat, cheese, lettuce, and Tomato. I also don't recommend going to a place a like McDonalds for a burger. If you want one, get real meat, not processed.<br /><br />I haven't tried pizza yet, but I'm not sure if I even could. bread doesn't sit well with me anymore since the surgery so I try not to eat it. I have definitely craved pizza though! It's just not worth it for me right now as my tummy hates bread now lol

I have had pizza ... but when we get it ... I have it cut Chicago style ... so that there are tiny corner pieces ... I eat 1 corner piece ( just the flat part of the crust ) which is about 2 bites ... I give the thicker outside crust to the dog ... and I'm done ...

Satisfies my want for the pizza taste ...

I've been VERY lucky in my sleeve surgery ... I've not wanted 99% of the things I ate before ... thank God ... makes the journey that much easier ...

Good Luck !

I'm four months out, and last week I made "pizza" with a low-carb tortilla. Topped it with the lowest-sugar pizza sauce I could find, shredded mozzarella, and turkey pepperoni, and baked it at 400 degrees for maybe 8-10 minutes, until the cheese started to brown. It was really tasty, but I was over-ambitious and ate 3/4 of it instead of the 1/2 that I planned on... I felt pretty icky for a couple hours afterward.