Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions for Alcohol Drinkers ONLY!

I waited two months and I didn't detect any difference in how I metabolized liquor. I felt like I got less of a buzz after surgery which seems to differ from most other people on this forum. There really isn't a lot of room for beer so I can only have a few ounces anyway. For now, I'd rather get my calories and carbs from food and that's just my preference. I just don't seem to enjoy alcohol as much I used to. In the past I could drink a whole bottle of champagne by myself . . Good times lol.

3 months

No

No

No

I used to drink a bottle of wine over a week and now have a glass or two a week

Another question...actually a thought. It pertains to drinking while eating. I am already sensitive to when the valve at the bottom of my stomach is opening and closing. When I have thin puréed Soup, it goes right down. Cottage cheese gets tight after 2 ounces.

So, fast toward to dinner out and wine. It would seem to me that sipping wine (less than 2 ounces) along with solid food would not be enough liquid to open the stomach valve.

Anyone have and thoughts or experience with this?

1. 4 months

2. No.

3. No.

4. No.

I waited three months and occasionally (once every 1-2 weeks) have a glass of wine. I used to be able to drink a whole bottle in an evening, now I buy the little 4 packs of 4oz bottles and can finish 1. No complications, no problems with addiction. I haven't even gotten tipsy off my 1 glass, but it makes me full so I don't continue to drink more.

I waited five months. No to all the other questions. I mainly drink wine, but I will have a cocktail on occasion. I get tipsy off 1-2 glasses of red wine, but not liquor. I've only had a few sips of beer. I loved beer pre surgery but I don't have the same taste for it right now. I drink about once a week, but it'll be the first thing to go if I see my weight stall.

So, I'm first to say that I love my cocktails!!! I'm only 4 1/2 months out so I haven't started drinking yet, but my NUT told me that one 4oz glass of wine can slow your metabolism for up to 24hrs. That scared me straight! So, I'm not a alcohol hater, that little tidbit made me reconsider taking a drink! Lol

So, I'm first to say that I love my cocktails!!! I'm only 4 1/2 months out so I haven't started drinking yet, but my NUT told me that one 4oz glass of wine can slow your metabolism for up to 24hrs. That scared me straight! So, I'm not a alcohol hater, that little tidbit made me reconsider taking a drink! Lol

I had never heard that before.

But after some quick google-fu, and although this truism is repeated a lot online, apparently there's no clear-cut relationship between alcohol and obesity / metabolism / weight gain or loss. In fact, the relationship sounds fairly nuanced, depending on how much you drink, how often you drink, how obese / active you are, etc.:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_and_weight

One of the research findings includes this one: "Alcohol also appears to increase metabolic rate significantly, thus causing more calories to be burned rather than stored in the body as fat (Klesges et al., 1994)"

I'm glad this was brought up in this way. It's hard for non drinkers to relate. I haven't been sleeved yet but it's good to hear I may not have to swear off alcohol forever. I live in a state where recreational marijuana is legal. Has anyone had any edibles post sleeve?

This is by far the best thread I've seen on alcohol on here. I appreciate that there aren't any nasty comments (yet). Following....

~*~ Find me on YouTube: Trisha's Sleeve Story ~*~

1- I waited about

6 - 8 weeks

2- I have had no medical issues at all. And alcohol do not effect my surgery.

3- I have not gained any weight attributed to alcohol, I'm down 75 lbs. And still loosing!!

4- I'm not an alcoholic! And have not developed alcoholism.. lol I'm not addicted.

I enjoy spirits. And I drink coffee too!

Okay I am not saying follow my example and for others this is what I did my body my way!

1. 3 months and yes that is one on the longest time I gone without a drink. No I'm not alcoholic and I only drink at times! Vodka, Rum, Brandy, ect! I would say do the research and decide for yourself!

2. No

3. No

4. No

I don't drink every day or every week! I am sleeved and I am carful not to consume too much!

Edited by LadyK44

Thanks for all your responses (both here and via PM).

Although I'm months away from venturing into social drinking waters, I'm thinking about how I'll proceed when that day comes.

I have been enjoying (greatly) a spicy Virgin Mary around "Cocktail Hour" and I'm thinking that when I'm ready to give alcohol a test drive, I'll start by adding a little vodka and seeing how it goes (I'm thinking a half shot or so).

Any bloody mary drinkers out there try this this approach?

Good questions!

How long did I wait? About 3-4 weeks. Wanted to make sure I was getting my full 64 oz of liquids first before any alcohol. For fear of dehydration!

Any complications? I'm a big wine drinker and most of the time the acidity gives me major reflux or heart burn. Liquor I haven't noticed a problem. Don't mix with sugary stuff, high sugar can cause some "dumping" effects. Still can't handle carbonation, champagne, or beer, one sip can be painful.

Weight gain? None, still loosing and I'm 6 months out. Drink much less than prior to surgery. Sip much slower.

Addiction? I can stop whenever. It doesn't go down as fast and easy as it use too.