Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How are you doing with exercise?

I'm fairly new here but wonder what or if others are exercising, what you are doing, how often and does it work for you? Is it difficult to maintain? I have been a swimmer since surgery , May 2015. It is helping me achieve my weight loss goals. Here in Texas, it's still in the 90s and I have been able to keep swimming so far. I'm nervous about when it gets too cold to swim. Anybody else doubting their ability to keep up their exercise goals? Pleas share and be kind????????????

I work out at home. I do three different types of Zumba DVDs (not in one day), sometimes the treadmill, and light weights 3-4 times a week. The variety of keeps me from getting bored and I LOVE Zumba which helps me stick with it.

I work out at 5am before work. The morning works for me because in the evening I can think of all kind of excuses not to work out.

I Have been having a lot of hip and lower back issues. I haven't been able to even walk very good. My PCP told me to stop working out! Ugh I don't know what to do I really like my workouts!

I mostly do aquafit at the gym. It's an indoor pool. I've been taking class for 4 years now. I have DVD's, dumb bells and kettleballs at home for when I get snowed in. I also have a mountain bike I can use as long as there's no snow.

I Have been having a lot of hip and lower back issues. I haven't been able to even walk very good. My PCP told me to stop working out! Ugh I don't know what to do I really like my workouts!

Bbrookmedic I hope you can find some exercise you can tolerate. The Water has been a lifesaver for me as I have foot and knee problems. If it's any help, I listen to Dr. Rob Maki's podcast, who seems to have the latest and best science on weight loss. He said you can still lose weight even if the exercise isn't perfect. As you lose weight more movement should be comfortable????. Let us know how you're doing.

I workout at least 5 times a week, sometimes twice a day if work schedule permits or if I'm just not able to sleep that well. I'd like to start heavy lifting, but no one to go to the gym with and getting a weight set for home just seems like too much money right now. I'm on my last few weeks of P90X3 which has been an amazing workout! Just 30 minutes a day, as short as one episode of your favorite show. Since I began that I've lost about 25 lbs, trading off with some muscle has been nice too. I will say it's not always easy to workout. Sometimes you get that feeling that you're just not up to it. I'd come home after working a 12 hour day and just want to sit on the couch, but that's how I go into this mess before. So I drink my pre-workout and get to burning a sweat! This may be vain, but after a workout I look in the mirror and remember why I just pushed myself through the 30-45 minutes of pain... to not look like that 340 lb fat guy I used to see in the mirror every day. Sure, you could lose the weight without working out that much, but why waist the tool you equipped yourself with?

Don't let the winter rob you of the accomplishments you've made. And don't let it slow down, you've got to push yourself to see the changes you saw in week 1 to week 6.

I swim and do Water aerobics, too. I have a pool at home so was able to swim here all summer. I just joined our local wellness center so I can use the indoor pool now that the weather is getting colder.

I walk my dog for 90 minutes a day, up and down hills, through forests etc near to where I live. I joined a gym 4 weeks ago and use the toning tables and the cardio vascular part of the main gym. In 6 weeks I will be giving up the toning tables and starting on the weights, hoping to build up some muscle.

I'm from Winnipeg, Canada so have to swim indoors a good portion of the year. I do love the swimming though and credit it a great deal for my steady losses. I swim an hour of laps three to fie days per week. Sometimes I pick up an aquafit class instead, just for fun. I bought myself an underwater Mp3 player and it totally makes the workouts fly by.

Thanks for this thread. I am currently shifting from outdoor walking alsong a beautiful lake every day to workouts on the basement. Live in New England -- snowed last night in North Country, eeek. No! So, wrapping my head around the treadmill, bike and Bowfkex. I do need the Bowfkex work -- big plans for my arms this winter. And whoever mentioned Zumba DVDs, thank you. I love to dance, tried a class and was a bit overwhelmed but maybe at home on my living room? Let's all have a great workout winter.

I'm day 5 post op.

Haven't started the official workouts yet. I'm still in the germaphobe stage and want these 9 new holes to heal up before I touch anything in the gym.

I've been walking around the house....in the driveway......up & down stairs a couple times a day. Hernia still bothering me when standing up, but no complaints.

When I do begin the gym work it will initially be limited to walking inclines on the treadmill. After a couple months I'll add the elliptical machine (depending on how knees and back are doing). Hopefully at month 5-6 I'll add weight training, too. I will not be doing free weights, but using plate loaded machines. I have a bad shoulder and other issues and want the restricted range of motion that the machines offer.

Looking forward to the changes.

I doubt I'll be in beach-shape by this Summer, but I will enjoy some long walks down the beach with a shirt on.

I'm really looking forward to the weight coming off and the joints feeling better and better.