Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgeon used a 36 on me -- he said he uses 36s on most of his patients.

I honestly never heard of a bougie sized 28.

As others have said above, the research doesn't show any correlation between amount of weight lost or weight loss maintained with bougie size used during surgery.

I have no idea why there are so many different bougie sizes.

But here's the deal -- so many other things will affect the size of your new sleeve than the bougie size your surgeon used, including:

* Your surgeon's surgical technique, e.g., how tightly / closely to the bougie she/he places the staples, whether she/he oversews the staple line and how tightly that is done, etc.

* How long your stomach is -- often related (but not always) to how tall you are

* How experienced your surgeon is doing VSG surgeries

* Whether your surgeon simply screws up your VSG surgery (one patient posted here that her sleeve's "top half is shaped like a banana, and the bottom half is shaped like a melon")

* How the surgeon shapes your sleeve at the top (near the hiatal valve) and at the bottom (by the pyloric valve)

Finally, some advice: Don't be disdainful of people who bother to respond to your requests for information.

Mine is smaller than some but bigger than others.

I hope we are still talking bougies here. :)

It's not the size of the wave, it's the motion of the ocean!

That explains why it smelled like low tide from a woman I was once with. :)

(Sorry, I digressed. It is due to a recessive gene that is tied to us "Y" chromosome carriers).

Mine is smaller than some but bigger than others.

I hope we are still talking bougies here. :)

It's not the size of the wave, it's the motion of the ocean!

That explains why it smelled like low tide from a woman I was once with. :)

(Sorry, I digressed. It is due to a recessive gene that is tied to us "Y" chromosome carriers).

And by recessive gene, I mean the one that makes us "Y" chromosome carriers:

Think about sex all the time.

Want to watch and laugh at The 3 Stooges films.

Go to monster truck shows.

Light farts on fire.

Hoot and holler when something blows up in a movie.

Yell at the sports referees on television when they miss a call.

etc.

Edited by 4MRB4PHOTO

I wasn't asking whether or not I should trust my surgeon. He does this day in and day out for many years at a center of excellence, and he is also the chief bariatric surgeon at the children's hospital.

I wasn't asking for the "I don't care" response or for the "stomach size doesn't matter." So please, negative Nancy's, comment on someone else's thread.

My question is simply what size bougie do you have and I've only gotten a couple of real responses.

I really didn't mean any harm or anything negative at all.. I may not be a veteran like some of the others, so I might not be as care-free when someone seems to attack my responses, but I'm still a person who was genuinely trying to reply to your question and be supportive.

I never actually said you didn't trust your surgeon. But because you had heard something from them that seems to be different from what most other people have heard of, I was just trying to encourage you to not be worried about such things. -- I feel like I have to justify that statement as well. NO, I'm not actually saying you are worried about the bougie in an anxious or stressed sense, I just meant you were curious or concerned enough about it to go to the forums.

So. Despite backlash from both sides, I hope you got enough replies to what you were looking for.

Mine is whatever size my surgeon chose to use.

I trusted him to do his job and did not ask for stupid customizations.

Mine is whatever size my surgeon chose to use.

I trusted him to do his job and did not ask for stupid customizations.

I asked my nuerosurgeon to staple my face back a little tighter when he peeled it off and removed my brain tumor so I could have a mini face left at the same time.

Totally not a stupid customization. :D

I asked! I wanted to know! I even wrote it on my list of questions to ask him before surgery. It was something new I had learned about and was curious to know. I like to know everything I can when someone's going to be cutting my bits off, I fully trust my surgeon but I was curious. It's ok. As a patient you have a "right to know" never feel bad about asking questions!! In fact I'm almost positive I made this same post asking people what size they had or asked in another one.

I asked! I wanted to know! I even wrote it on my list of questions to ask him before surgery. It was something new I had learned about and was curious to know. I like to know everything I can when someone's going to be cutting my bits off, I fully trust my surgeon but I was curious. It's ok. As a patient you have a "right to know" never feel bad about asking questions!! In fact I'm almost positive I made this same post asking people what size they had.

And I'm betting you didn't get pissy when you got replies that didn't specifically answer your question. ;)

I'm fairly certain I also asked the same. The only answer the stuck with me was the visual of how little difference there really is -- the picture I posted but was put down for. ;)

ASUGrad,

It’s great that you’re doing your homework and asking these questions!

From the little I’ve read, it sounds like a 26F bougie is very small. According to Bariatric News, a consensus panel of surgeons published their best practice recommendations to keep the bougie between 32 and 36. As you know, larger is less likely to be effective long-term because it doesn’t give as much restriction.

Smaller than 32 sounds like a risk factor for more complications, including leaks and strictures. These aren’t things to take lightly!

If I were you, I would get a second opinion. I mean, in addition to the 600 second opinions you’ve gotten on this thread!

Also, maybe you’re already thinking along the lines, but the most important thing is your long-term health. Maybe a 26F bougie will get you to goal weight faster, but at what cost? It could cost your health, and it’s important to remember the sleeve is permanent, so you can’t “undo” it.

Good luck!

@@LipstickLady No I'm sure I didn't because If someone does get pissy with me I could careless (especially a pissy stranger). My butt doesn't get hurt too often. I know how to click off while they can * off......well you know :) I had that picture too. Maybe we were on the same thread, it was probably from you. :)

I told you I didn't know and didn't care. Is that not a real response?

I got news for you. You can still eat around the smallest stomach in the world and gain weight. So it doesn't make one bit of difference what size Bougie is used. You still will have to do the work with your 26 or whatever the f**k size Bougie you're going to have.

See? I can get pissy, too.

Classy.

I've been following the sleeve threads for a few months now and noticed that YOU seem to have a problem with most people on this forum and only respond in a condescending tone, while ignoring the question asked.

Again, my question was asking what size bougie you have. If you don't care about what I'm asking, why did you respond? I don't get it. You comment on so many threads that I read with irrelevant eye-rolling responses or you're either attacking someone in each thread. Just like you're doing now. :)

Omg I am so glad you pointed this out! I noticed it's always the same people with the same attitude that feel as if they need to comment their useless opinion on things that apparently don't even concern them.

I don't get it?! ASUgrad posted a legit question, like most of us she has her concerns about her journey. And all of you, with the asshole mentality, of forcing your journey on others with this condescending tone should just keep your words to yourself if you can't provide any type of real support.

I have noticed a lot of people leaving the forums and being too scared to even express themselves, out of fear of being bullied or judged on the question they might have. Honestly you all should be ashamed! This is a public forum and judgement free zone. Everyone's journey is their own and how dare you sit here and pretend your better than everyone else, simply by utilizing what works for you.

I used to seek comfort in these threads and support until I saw it's always the same assholes posting a ridiculous amount of their own personal journey, totally bullying others to the point that most threads seem to be having the same few people. Yes we know you did it, you had VSG and now you're the fuckin expert. Now please sit down and allow others to please share their fears without fear of retaliation.

I thought this was a super interesting question and am following this thread and am thankful you asked this question!

I told you I didn't know and didn't care. Is that not a real response?

I got news for you. You can still eat around the smallest stomach in the world and gain weight. So it doesn't make one bit of difference what size Bougie is used. You still will have to do the work with your 26 or whatever the f**k size Bougie you're going to have.

See? I can get pissy, too.

Classy.

I've been following the sleeve threads for a few months now and noticed that YOU seem to have a problem with most people on this forum and only respond in a condescending tone, while ignoring the question asked.

Again, my question was asking what size bougie you have. If you don't care about what I'm asking, why did you respond? I don't get it. You comment on so many threads that I read with irrelevant eye-rolling responses or you're either attacking someone in each thread. Just like you're doing now. :)

Omg I am so glad you pointed this out! I noticed it's always the same people with the same attitude that feel as if they need to comment their useless opinion on things that apparently don't even concern them.

I don't get it?! ASUgrad posted a legit question, like most of us she has her concerns about her journey. And all of you, with the a*****e mentality, of forcing your journey on others with this condescending tone should just keep your words to yourself if you can't provide any type of real support.

I have noticed a lot of people leaving the forums and being too scared to even express themselves, out of fear of being bullied or judged on the question they might have. Honestly you all should be ashamed! This is a public forum and judgement free zone. Everyone's journey is their own and how dare you sit here and pretend your better than everyone else, simply by utilizing what works for you.

I used to seek comfort in these threads and support until I saw it's always the same assholes posting a ridiculous amount of their own personal journey, totally bullying others to the point that most threads seem to be having the same few people. Yes we know you did it, you had VSG and now you're the fuckin expert. Now please sit down and allow others to please share their fears without fear of retaliation.

I thought this was a super interesting question and am following this thread and am thankful you asked this question!

Huh. What I've noticed is that most veterans leave because they are spoken down to by "newbies" who don't appreciate the voice of experience, "newbies" who get upset if they don't get coddled and catered to.

Most vets don't NEED to be here but choose to be in order to pay it forward. I've lost my weight. I've not only maintained my weight loss for over a year and a half, but I've learned what I need to do for a lifetime. I could stay in the vet's forum for support, or I could offer words to people who are pre-op and newly post-op just as vets before me did for me.

I have no problem with the question, just as I have no problem with the replies until people start getting attacked because they didn't answer exactly "right".

Name calling is NEVER ok and it's bizarre to me that the person calling "bully" is also throwing out words like "asshole" and "fuckin expert". (Classy, right?)

Yes. This discussion is important and it is relevant, I agree. I don't think it would be nearly as informative and educational, though, if everyone simply answered with a number. ;)

@@readyforthislifechange Thank you! Yes, there's a good handful of "veterans" on here that like to nitpick and point their fingers at "newbies" (as someone just called me).

I'm in several Facebook groups where people admit to being afraid of asking questions like I'm asking for fear of these jerks doing what they're doing to me. Shame on you.

I've also asked Alex to delete this thread multiple times because the assholes in this group have made such a mockery of it. Read back and look at the idiotic responses, quite embarrassing.

Getting pissed off?

There is an old Chinese saying I once read:

"It is better to be pissed off than pissed on".

-worse damn fortune I ever found in a cookie.:)