Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am a month away from the Gastric Sleeve surgery. I would like to know if anyone has any regrets having their surgeries? Do you miss all of the things that you used to eat and drink? I am starting to worry that since I obviously eat the wrong foods (the foods that taste good but are not good for you) will I be "satisfied" with mostly Protein and veggies? Another concern is (which some might think should not be a concern at all) is that my husband is in a rock and roll band and when I go to one of his gigs (usually once a month or so) I enjoy having a few cocktails. Not that I drink all of the time but I wonder if I am going to regret not being able to do that when I go see him play. Does everyone have these doubts once you are approved for the surgery or am I just being crazy? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

No regrets.

I was never a big drinker before surgery, so I have never felt the need to drink to feel like I was enjoying life. I don't miss the occasional margarita, beer, or glass of wine that I used to have. You may be surprised how little you "need" alcohol to enjoy listening to your husband play.

I really don't miss eating junk. I don't miss the cake and ice cream that the rest of the family ate last night at our impromptu picnic. I did allow myself one crescent roll with butter, but it was after I ate my Protein and some vegetables.

For me, now that I have truly gotten the junk out of my system, I don't crave it and it doesn't appeal to me.

I have no regrets.

I also ended up with a sleeve that likes to make me barf whenever I eat anything with oil, fat, or sugar, which is not the norm. I would still get a sleeve again. Sometimes I eat a few bites of foods that I used to like and now I am perfectly content to just have those few bites. At a little over two years post-op, I don't really crave certain types of food anymore and for the most part I eat what I want to, just in much smaller sizes. For example, last night I had takeout with a friend. I ordered the kids steak with mashed potatoes. I hate about 1/3 the steak and half the mashed potatoes. It was yummy. I had no interest in eating any more of it and I tossed the rest out. Steak and potatoes is more of a pre-sleeve kind of meal, but so are a lot of things I eat every once in awhile. Once you get through the first few months, the rest of the process is much easier. There are days where I eat 1000 calories, but mostly I'm around 1500-1800 a day and I can maintain at my goal weight. Most importantly though, I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. If I want a drink with dinner, I have one, although I'm not really a big drinker. If I want some cake, I eat a piece. I had a few Cookies on the 4th of July...it is now October and I haven't had a single cookie since. This isn't because I can't have one, but because I just really haven't felt any interest. Knowing that I can eat whatever I want whenever I want to and that I only need a few bites to be happy is a very freeing feeling.

So...at 25 months post-op, I am very happy with my sleeve decision.

How long have you been waiting to be sleeved? I know I was shocked when I was initially told that for me there would be a minimum of 6 months between starting the process and getting sleeved. So I started March 1st and am not having the sleeve until next Tuesday, Oct 13th. In that time I have lost 55 pounds. I have almost consistently stayed between 1000-1200 calories a day. At first I wondered how in the world could I do this. Now I don't even blink... even this liquid portion of the diet right before surgery has been easy. My focus has switched from food, food, food to me, me, me and what is good for me. Not saying that I am perfect but I am actually thankful for the 7 1/2 months of my journey so far. I was always annoyed during each of my NUT visits when she would ask "So do you think you can sustain this for your entire life"... I was thinking in my mind at first "what are you talking about!!!! I feel so hungry.... I'm starving (ok-- I am a little melodramatic when I talk to myself). But, as each month went by I realized...wow... I am actually doing this and it is not that horrible. And it sure is a lot nicer to be able to walk without so much pain, not have acid reflux, etc. If you still have doubts, take a little more time. This is a life long decision and you want to be sure that you are prepared.

I had regrets in the first few weeks. That seems to be pretty common. When you are miserable and frustrated and wondering if you will ever feel "normal" again. But now, over a year out, definitely no regrets! Every once in a while, I will hear/see something about foods I used to love and have a brief moment of sadness that I can't enjoy them anymore, but that passes quickly. Notice I said "enjoy" them. That's because I am physically capable of eating anything at this point, but much of my enjoyment of things like pizza or Pasta or eating large meals out came from the sheer VOLUME of food I could eat, not necessarily the taste. So while I can eat those things now if I choose to, I don't enjoy them the way I used to, so I usually just skip them.

As for cocktails, why couldn't you have those in the future? I was allowed alcohol at 3 months post-op and I do occasionally partake in social situations. I miss beer (can't have carbonation anymore), but I can have mixed drinks. I do get drunk VERY fast now. I'm a SUPER light-weight now. But, I also sober up really fast.

No regrets.

You should know that MOST of us can eat any type of food once we are a few months out. Some people imagine the sleeve will stop them from eating "bad" or unhealthy foods and for most of us we must choose to avoid those foods, the sleeve doesn't decide it for us.

I do think it is normal to "miss" overeating/over indulging and the truth is you will find long term success (ie maintenance) once you have kind of mentally moved on from that desire. I do not mean to say any of us are perfect, but it is a pretty fundamental shift in priorities. Example, I used to have a daily ice cream habit. At some point, I had to ask myself how important that pleasure is vs the misery of obesity. I don't need alot of calories to maintain, so even years down the road i have to be quite mindful and regain if I start letting little things become habits.

On the topic of cocktails - it is my opinion that you should generally avoid alcohol during the weight loss phase. I say it for a couple of reasons - but mostly because it is just plain emtpy calories and a lot of carbs. I also found it burned my tummy first time i had wine was about 3-4 months post op at a celebration party. Many of us have excess acid/tender tummies for the first few months and alcohol does NOT improve that situation.

In maintenance, I do have alcohol but it is one of the items that can lead to regain. It is pretty easy to drink a few extra hundred calories here and there ... and it doesn't take much for the scale to start moving up. So, I think you will find over the long haul that having a cocktail occasionally is no problem - but you might want to avoid it until you are well established as a WLS veteran so to speak and then monitor how it works for you in maintenance.

Good luck!

I am only one week post op, so please keep that in mind when you read my post. This first week has been pretty up-and-down for me. Physically, I feel pretty good. The first few days were rough, as to be expected, but I've gotten better each day. The soreness in my abdomen is almost gone now and I can finally sleep in the bed with no discomfort (I was stuck in the recliner for the first 5 days). The only physical thing I'm dealing with now is some back pain but it will go away soon I'm sure. Drinking has been fairly easy for me. I only have two bad spells of nausea but other than that, I've been able to keep everything down just fine. Gas pain was also minimal.

Now, I want to tell you about how I'm feeling emotionally and mentally. This surgery has honestly been the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. I know I have a food addiction and this withdrawal has been rough. Really rough. I feel like I lost a relationship. I am a stage now where I am feeling deep regret, depression, and sadness. I ask myself questions like "What have I done?", "Will I ever be able to enjoy food again?", "Will I always feel so hungry and deprived?". I went to the grocery store with my fiance last night and even though I wasn't hungry, my brain told me I wanted EVERYTHING. I ended up a crying mess because I felt like I will never be able to enjoy anything again. I know all these feelings will pass (keep in mind, I'm only a week out) but right now I feel like I got hit by a bulldozer emotionally. My insurance even required a psych evaluation, which I passed with flying colors but I was absolutely not prepared for these feelings. I'm not saying you will have these same feelings but I just want to give you a heads up. Nobody told me how hard this would be. Or, maybe they did and I just didn't listen because I thought it would be easier. I just want you to consider that you may be a roller coaster of emotions after your surgery.

Best wishes to you. There are a lot of helpful people on the forums so I'm sure you'll get some great advice. I hope your journey is smooth and easy!

Thank you all for your responses. I feel that I am ready for this surgery and this change in my life. I think that since I just found out today what my surgery date is, I'm starting to freak out a little. I'm sure that is fairly normal, lol. I appreciate all of your honesty and Southern Sleever, thank you for your post. If I do have any of those feelings soon after my surgery, it will be nice to know that I am not the only one. As the "veterans" say, I'm sure it will only get easier for you from here on out. I wish you and everyone else the best of luck and can't wait to be a veteran giving great reports to the newbies someday

!

My only regret thus far is that I waited so long to make the decision to have weight loss surgery.

How long have you been waiting to be sleeved? I know I was shocked when I was initially told that for me there would be a minimum of 6 months between starting the process and getting sleeved. So I started March 1st and am not having the sleeve until next Tuesday, Oct 13th. In that time I have lost 55 pounds. I have almost consistently stayed between 1000-1200 calories a day. At first I wondered how in the world could I do this. Now I don't even blink... even this liquid portion of the diet right before surgery has been easy. My focus has switched from food, food, food to me, me, me and what is good for me. Not saying that I am perfect but I am actually thankful for the 7 1/2 months of my journey so far. I was always annoyed during each of my NUT visits when she would ask "So do you think you can sustain this for your entire life"... I was thinking in my mind at first "what are you talking about!!!! I feel so hungry.... I'm starving (ok-- I am a little melodramatic when I talk to myself). But, as each month went by I realized...wow... I am actually doing this and it is not that horrible. And it sure is a lot nicer to be able to walk without so much pain, not have acid reflux, etc. If you still have doubts, take a little more time. This is a life long decision and you want to be sure that you are prepared.

October 13th here, too.

We are going to kick arse.

@Dub@MarciaN - October 13th here, too.

We are going to kick arse.

Yes you will I'm sure, how ever only 3 more days until the last minute freak out. ;-) It's OK, we all do it. I know I did, trying to find it...

I am a month away from the Gastric Sleeve surgery. I would like to know if anyone has any regrets having their surgeries? Do you miss all of the things that you used to eat and drink? I am starting to worry that since I obviously eat the wrong foods (the foods that taste good but are not good for you) will I be "satisfied" with mostly Protein and veggies? Another concern is (which some might think should not be a concern at all) is that my husband is in a rock and roll band and when I go to one of his gigs (usually once a month or so) I enjoy having a few cocktails. Not that I drink all of the time but I wonder if I am going to regret not being able to do that when I go see him play. Does everyone have these doubts once you are approved for the surgery or am I just being crazy? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Not a single one. Mind you, I am a year out and have always had a tummy seemingly made of steel. Never got sick other than a really bad tummy ache once. Technically speaking I can eat pretty much anything I want. However, I choose to eat sensibly and exercise.

Totally normal to have doubts. I had them, scared that the sleeve wouldn't work for me, but honestly what would my alternative been? Stay overweight and do nothing? Fast forward two and a half years later, no regrets at all.

Im Oct 13th for the sleeve and i have a half sister who had bypass at least 10-11yrs ago. She says no regrets the only thing she says is that your stomach is small but your mind still can't process the new small stomach. She did say that most people stick to Vitamins and are compliant for about 3 years and if you don't get monitored or get regular bloodwork that is when complications happen not because of the procedure but because of neglect. So key thing is not falling into old habits.

@ What you are going through is completely normal. I experienced the same emotions and I have read COUNTLESS posts on these forums of people going through the same thing. I remember making many of those posts myself in the first couple of weeks... even into the first few months really. It is such a MAJOR mental shift that has to happen, as well as a physical change. Literally the day after my surgery, I would see a commercial for pizza on TV and want it SO BAD. Even though I knew eating it would probably kill me. My body didn't need pizza. My body couldn't handle pizza. But my brain was like "PIZZZZZAAAAAAAA".

Even once I was allowed solid foods at 40 days post-op, one of the very first things I ate was pizza. I was SO DEPRESSED when I didn't enjoy it and it didn't satisfy me the way it had before. I had a good couple of months where I was really grappling with how to handle my emotions now that I could no longer turn to food for comfort. And it was this crazy catch 22, because my instinct was always to turn to food when I was depressed, but not being able to turn to food was the SOURCE of my depression!

The good news is, eventually my brain did catch up to my body. I'd say around the 4 month mark, I had adapted to my new reality. I not only felt normal physically (which happened much earlier), but I began to feel normal emotionally.

Even now, a full year out, sometimes I'll see a commercial for some food and for half a second I'll be like "OOH! I want that!" But my brain kicks in much more quickly now and realizes I don't actually need it and I probably wouldn't really enjoy it that much if I tried to eat it.