Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things I didn't expect my first month post-op

Never get my thirst under control . If I don't have Water I feel like I might die :(

Dry mouth happens a lot

I will eat food cold and don't even care (before that would have never happened)

BM are very hard for me unless I'm having dumping syndrome

I can only eat raspberries and watermelon no other fruit it makes me dump :(

Pounds come off really easy the first month

There is nothing you can eat at fast food

My first 2 weeks post op I had chest pain after eating any broth (no one warned me about that :( ..)

I am obsessed with my scale and am caught constantly by my mother and daughter checking my weight lol

Yogurt is my favorite and the chobani flips are amazing . It's turned into my indulgence before it was kit Kats now it's yogurt lol

People do think it's the easy way out to lose weight but people don't understand what strength it takes not to order a coke and a cheeseburger .

Shopping has became an issue , always buying clothes cause now I can wear Victoria secret clothes ????

Don't enjoy going out to eat anymore two bites and I'm done and everyone else is just getting started

Things I have learned:

1. The gurgling is very embarrassing and noisy!

2. I do get hungry sometimes. I am 3 months out.

3. The scale is an angry beast sometimes and a lover at other times.

4. My poops are weird and it's harder and more time consuming to "go"

5. The full feeling is very different from before my sleeve.

6. 93lbs gone and I can run a little with my cardio

7. I love the Protein Shakes

8. Torani Syrup is a Protein shakes best friend

9. I still have 20lbs or more to go but I see it happening more and more everyday

10. Some days I still feel like the 255lb girl

11. Compliments are plenty, and always nice to hear.

12. Carbs are not that important to me anymore

So many more that I could write!

How much of the syrup do you add. I just tried it tonight and let's just say 4 pumps was WAY to much.

The head hunger!! The cravings are starting for me and I will be one month out tomorrow.

I also weigh myself every morning and it's so FUN to see the changes.

I thought I would have lost more weight by now but my dr says I'm right on track and just need to up my Protein. It's hard!

Good luck to you!!

RE: Nothing to eat at fast food: I went in a pinch to Taco Bell. Got a side order of refried Beans and a side (very tiny) of guacamole. It was good and filling.

I finally got my gastric sleeve video blog started. It's called rebuilding Paul and I have used it for other weight-loss stuff, but have resurrected it for documenting my gastric sleeve experience. Please check it out, subscribe to my channel and share with your friends.

Keep in mind, I'm not very good at video editing and I am using some software I'm unfamiliar with.

I finally got my gastric sleeve video blog started. It's called rebuilding Paul and I have used it for other weight-loss stuff, but have resurrected it for documenting my gastric sleeve experience. Please check it out, subscribe to my channel and share with your friends.

Keep in mind, I'm not very good at video editing and I am using some software I'm unfamiliar with.

Tuning in buddy! ????

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Well today has brought about more unexpected things...

- my back pain has been getting worse by the day. I think it's because I'm sleeping in my moms bed and not my own bed, so my body is not used to this, it's been a week and 2 days...shouldn't this be subsiding by now?

- that my family would be pigging out so much! My mom baked a freaking cake the first day I came home! Stating it was for her bday because she was gonna stop pigging out as of this week, mind you her bday is 9/25! Then when that cake was gone, she bought a pound cake and ice cream from the store! She had el pollo loco (fast food) twice since I've been home, and purchased my fav vanilla Wafer Cookies from trader joe's! Then she asked me to pick up a dozen donuts for her this morning...yup, that really happened and I did it, just to prove to myself I can do it! But the freaking icing on the cake...she asked me or she can use MY CAR to go have Thai food at a restaurant tonight, and the whole fam went without me...I can't stand any of them right now lol ???? its not even so much about the food, it's the lack of support. Then I realized my relationship with my mom and brother revolves around food...how are we gonna maintain this now??

- that I would revert back to taking pain meds? The incision pain comes and goes, and the back pain is at a level 8!

- that I would definitely need at least two weeks off! I can't imagine going back to work tomorrow! And my surgery date was 9/4, I know I need at least another week off, and I'm gonna ask my doc to put me on modified duty for my first two weeks back (meaning no going out in the field for me...I'm a a children's social worker and my job requires me to make unannounced visits to people's homes to investigate allegations of child abuse...you have to be ready to run at any time basically! Not to mention the driving) but I can use this time to do paperwork (court reports, typing in my contacts, filing, etc)

- that I would have such a hard time taking my Vitamins...I'm doing the optisource Multivitamin and it requires you to take 4 a day. I'm lucky if I take 2-3 daily. I have never had all 4 since I've been home because I always fall asleep and they ask you to space out the doses

- that having all of you guys would mean so much to me!!! I mean that, every single one of you! If it weren't for this forum, I would be a frwaking nutcase for sure! You guys remind me I'm not crazy, this is normal, and I can do this!

- that I am losing about a pound a day! Down to 295!

- that I would literally have to force myself to get poop out...I won't mention how, but i got that desperate!

Sorry for the long post, but I know this would help someone ❤️

Adding never thought:

Within the first two days post op I would ever stop feeling nauseated, oh I hated this the most. :angry:

I would forget to take in fluids because there are no hunger yawns just sleep yawns ;)

I would belch foam after accidentally eating a sugar Popsicle instead of a sugar-free one :o

I would be able to walk without lifting my left incision and working against gravity

I would be able to bend and pick something from the floor

I would be able to sit around people eating some of my previous favorite foods and not be concerned because I am not hungry or craving the food

Sunrise to Sunset sip sip sip is so hard.

I would wake up everyday knowing I am destined to weigh less than the previous...

Why did I just get excited when I read this..like the trailer to your fav movie was just released lol?!? @@Radar I made two vids so far, but wasn't sure if I'm gonna go public or just document this for myself. But I commend you for being brave enough to share this. I'm about to watch and subscribe now! ????????????????

For the Torani syrups it depends on the size of my drink, usually 11oz of shake and I would say I like it sweeter than most so maybe 1tbsp. I don't have a pump, just pour! Had the chocolate today in my Protein and it was awesome. It was already a chocolate shake but with the added Syrup it was so nice and chocolates! Yumms!

For the Torani syrups it depends on the size of my drink, usually 11oz of shake and I would say I like it sweeter than most so maybe 1tbsp. I don't have a pump, just pour! Had the chocolate today in my Protein and it was awesome. It was already a chocolate shake but with the added Syrup it was so nice and chocolates! Yumms!

Can you tell me how you make your Protein Shake? ! I'm getting so tired of the Premier Protein and the horrible after taste and the grit it leaves on my teeth afterwards!! I need new ways of getting protein in. I'm still on full/clear liquids. My surgery day was 9/2. I'm maybe getting 40g of protein a day. :(

Very excited about this!!! ????

I had surgery Friday 9/11. I went home same day. Minimal pain, no nausea. Drove to grocery store after I got home. I think it depends on how active you are prior to surgery. Walk as much as you can. I'm 2 days post op & feel great !!

** Sip sip is tough - that didn't sink in when I was told.

** Tying my shoes for a walk - not great.

** I love Popsicles now - sugar free tropical flavors.

** how amazing it feels to get moving, I walked 9k steps today - and feel really good. No longer taking pain meds. Stay active before and walk as much as your body allows after - you will feel great

- that my family would be pigging out so much! My mom baked a freaking cake the first day I came home! Stating it was for her bday because she was gonna stop pigging out as of this week, mind you her bday is 9/25! Then when that cake was gone, she bought a pound cake and ice cream from the store! She had el pollo loco (fast food) twice since I've been home, and purchased my fav vanilla Wafer Cookies from trader joe's! Then she asked me to pick up a dozen donuts for her this morning...yup, that really happened and I did it, just to prove to myself I can do it! But the freaking icing on the cake...she asked me or she can use MY CAR to go have Thai food at a restaurant tonight, and the whole fam went without me...I can't stand any of them right now lol its not even so much about the food, it's the lack of support. Then I realized my relationship with my mom and brother revolves around food...how are we gonna maintain this now??

I get this can be frustrating and irritating, but try not to perceive it as lack of support. Having a weight loss surgery is a huge step which changes your entire life, but your family didn't have the surgery - you did. It's great to have friends and family members who understand how hard this process is and who are willing to change their lifestyle with you, but I don't think that's the usual case.

Maybe you should just ask your family to be slightly more sensitive and understanding - explain them how you feel. Tell them you need your own kitchen cupboard and fridge shelf so you're not tempted by unhealthy meals they bring into the house. Tell them if they want to buy fast food or sweets, you would like them to pick it up themselves. When I used to diet (I was still living with my parents back then), I knew one way to make them eat healthier food was to cook it myself for all of us. That way I limited the number of temptations around me. :)

And most importantly, come up with some ideas for family activities that don't involve food, so you can all enjoy it and you don't feel left out. Unfortunately food is a huge part of social and family life, but it's not the only one - if you can't make them give up eating during your family time, meet them half way and get them do something where food is just one of the many things to enjoy. That way you can focus on other aspects and stiil have a great time.

And most importantly, come up with some ideas for family activities that don't involve food, so you can all enjoy it and you don't feel left out. Unfortunately food is a huge part of social and family life, but it's not the only one - if you can't make them give up eating during your family time, meet them half way and get them do something where food is just one of the many things to enjoy. That way you can focus on other aspects and stiil have a great time.

This is much easier said than done in my household. Literally everything revolves around food and nobody is willing to make accommodations or changes to suit you. In fact they will actively try to get you to cheat by saying "One piece won't matter" or "Just have a little bit", or "It's only a light beer".

Also, when you don't do a lot of physical activities, it's hard to plan family things around them. Hopefully once I start shedding pounds and feel like I can do exercises without hurting myself, I can arrange to do family outings where we are doing things rather than sitting around making each other laugh around food and drinks. Until then, I'm on my own. If I asked my wife to keep cooking oil in a different cupboard, she would refuse.