Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things I didn't expect my first month post-op

I am 6 days out and I really want to poop. I have done milk of magnesia 2 days in a row and nothing. Is this normal?

I took two ducolex tablets at night and the next day everything was moving.i heard colace is good as well.

Oh I forgot one!

I guess it may be TMI for some, but after reading all the threds about irregular/ disappearing/never ending periods, I was so surprised to get one on time.

Immidiately there was a new surprise: it sucks not being able to take ibuprofen. :)

Mines is never ending..was on beforr surgery, during now after..yikes

This is one of my most favorite post thus far! I so love the honesty from everyone.

I am 12 days out, so yes I am a "newbie". The things that surprised me are:

1. I CANNOT digest Gummy Vitamins. I ate two on day 6 and OMG I :o thought someone was

cutting my inside out! No more for me.

2. I have lost so much weight, I was scared but I meet my surgeon today, reassured it was normal

3. I have BRAIN energy! I wake up wired! I am like...BING! Up and ready to roll. It's kinda strange, I

know I am not strong in my body, but yet not weak, just very very alert

4. Today was my first day of "soft foods", I ate cottage cheese and avocado mixed up.... YUMMY :P

5. Zero complications thus far, tolerating everything okay. Have not tossed my Cookies

6. BUT I DID Day (toss cookies) of surgery, it was a horrible night. I had no ideal about the dye.

Horrible :wacko:

What dye are you referring too and what about it? I heard nothing about dye.

I like the thought of Brain energy as mine is seriously failing me.

That is great you can see soft foods now and congratulations on the nice weight loss.

I havent tossed any either (fingers crossed) since the dye test either, omg that stuff was horrible.

@@Alex Brecher I think it's great you post on here too ... Thank you for this site ... it's one of the best parts of my journey ... being able to ask the questions and KNOW that people "GET IT" and I'm not alone in this ...

Thank you Mr. Brecher! :)

@@Alex Brecher I think it's great you post on here too ... Thank you for this site ... it's one of the best parts of my journey ... being able to ask the questions and KNOW that people "GET IT" and I'm not alone in this ...

Thank you Mr. Brecher! :)

Staying active and participating on BariatricPal keeps me accountable. You're very welcome!

A different perspective here ...

Some people (it's suggested in some threads that the majority of people) have very easy recoveries post-op. I certainly did. Check out this recent thread for a different perspective from those who didn't have many issues post-op:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/351493-my-doctor-faked-my-surgery/

Either way -- whether you suffer post-op or have an easy ride -- you can take this to the bank: A few months down the road you will look back on the first few weeks post-op as no big deal because you'll be doing so well.

Good luck to you all.

P.S. Oh, and @@Radar ... my surgeon cleared me for coffee on Day 10 post-op. But I don't drink as much coffee as I used to and don't miss the second, third and fourth cups at all. :)

A different perspective here ...

Some people (it's suggested in some threads that the majority of people) have very easy recoveries post-op. I certainly did. Check out this recent thread for a different perspective from those who didn't have many issues post-op:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/351493-my-doctor-faked-my-surgery/

Either way -- whether you suffer post-op or have an easy ride -- you can take this to the bank: A few months down the road you will look back on the first few weeks post-op as no big deal because you'll be doing so well.

Good luck to you all.

P.S. Oh, and @@Radar ... my surgeon cleared me for coffee on Day 10 post-op. But I don't drink as much coffee as I used to and don't miss the second, third and fourth cups at all. :)

Thanks. I was told if I drink caffeine I have to drink more Water, and I didn't anticipate swallowing Water would ever be this difficult. I'm used to downing a liter of water in a minute or so without really even trying. Now I take the smallest sip possible and immediately start feeling pain.

I never thought I would be looking forward to flatulence because farts make me feel better and I really never thought my wife would want me to pass gas.

Not pooping for nearly a week freaked me out, but it all came out all right in the end. ;-)

I was surprised I gained weight in the hospital, but it was all the IV fluids they gave me. I prepared my family and staff for me to be irritable for the first few weeks, but once I discovered clear Isopure Protein drinks, I was able to keep my Protein up and that made mood ok.

I have heard someone else mention the Isopure Protein Drink. Where do you find yours? I am interested in trying some!

I didn't expect for it to be this hard. I can't stand anything puréed or liquid I want real food. I didn't expect not to feel like I've recovered two weeks out, I feel no pain I've not felt pain since hospital and even at hospital I didn't get the shoulder pains or the swollen throat thing. It is an up and down journey for me sometimes I feel really depressed about it and sometimes I'm glad I've got it done and over with. Also obsessing about how much I've lost like the scales will be a problem and sometimes you'll stand on the scale and think "I've lost 1kg in two days how the hell was this worth it??" But it is because losing weight is better than losing no weight and also I think I was a bit harsh on my body regarding how much weight I lost, I wanted to lose 5kgs a day and it is clearly impossible so don't be too harsh on yourself be realistic and be patient. I also don't consume any source of Protein and I don't know the effects this will have on me but I feel fine. Lastly, I didn't expect to fall out with family members over the tempting food they brought home, I thought hunger (including head hunger) would not exist after the surgery but sadly it did and I found myself feeling like I'm being tortured after family brought home a cake, but I remind myself that I'm doing this for me and in the long run it will be me laughing at them so don't sweat it.

I didn't expect to take so long to get my energy back. I am two and half weeks post op and it is hard for me to be up and going more than 3-4 hours at a time if I am doing more than sitting in the recliner it wears me out.

I'm in my first week out, but these are the things so far that have surprised me:

1. The trapped gas pain. I woke up with that already in my shoulders and neck right out of surgery. I never had it with other surgeries so no experience with it. It took an overnight for it to relent a little. Three days to feel fairly good. If it hadn't been for that, I would've said I had little pain. Also a surprise. Even so, I didn't use pain meds much at all after the first day.

2. My taste buds haven't changed at all. Everything tastes just like it did before.

3. How it's like I have a 2nd job - drink, eat, drink, eat and repeat. I'm doing ok with it, but it's completely all consuming. I knew the plan, but totally different living it.

I would read people's posts about how hard it was to get their fluids in and think to myself they were crazy. Well here I am 3 weeks out and got a talking to by you doctor for not drinking enough. Lol. I feel like I drink ALL the time. I have timers set in my phone, apps the send me alerts and I always have a drink with me, yet I am still behind every day.

I'm in my first week out, but these are the things so far that have surprised me:

1. The trapped gas pain. I woke up with that already in my shoulders and neck right out of surgery. I never had it with other surgeries so no experience with it. It took an overnight for it to relent a little. Three days to feel fairly good. If it hadn't been for that, I would've said I had little pain. Also a surprise. Even so, I didn't use pain meds much at all after the first day.

2. My taste buds haven't changed at all. Everything tastes just like it did before.

3. How it's like I have a 2nd job - drink, eat, drink, eat and repeat. I'm doing ok with it, but it's completely all consuming. I knew the plan, but totally different living it.

Definitely feels like a sexond job, ill be glad when this phase is over..its depressing me

I would read people's posts about how hard it was to get their fluids in and think to myself they were crazy. Well here I am 3 weeks out and got a talking to by you doctor for not drinking enough. Lol. I feel like I drink ALL the time. I have timers set in my phone, apps the send me alerts and I always have a drink with me, yet I am still behind every day.

Same here..so frustrating. It has caused me to have severe anxiety

Also, if you Drink too much Water too fast will it stretch the sleeve? I can actually drink 4-6 swallows at a time if I wanted too.

I just happened to see this, and didn't notice an answer - generally accepted answer is "no" according to the surgeon I talked to, water/liquids quickly pass through the sleeve, which is why there is the prohibition on drinking and eating and waiting 20-30 minutes after the meal to drink again.