Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things I didn't expect my first month post-op

I am one month out and the only thing I wasn't expecting was just so hard it was going to be to drink and eat enough.

It's become a full time job!

Every day does seem to get a little better though.

Surgery was a breeze for me.

I was sleeved on Monday 8/17.

Sent home on Wednesday the 19th.

I was nauseated for 2 days but the Zofran really helped.

I had no pain, really.

Never took a pain med.

Went back to work the next Monday (so only took 1 week off).

I am down 28 pounds.

Been the same number for 4 days now. I have been expecting the 3-4 week stall.

I feel really good though!

I am on the pureed stage but really haven't pureed anything.

Just mashed a bit, and chewed thoroughly.

Tonight I had chicken and refried Beans.

About 1/2 cup total and was full!

This morning I had 1 scrambled egg and 1 Oz of smoked salmon.

Delish.

Does your tummy tell you when ur full? How do you know that's your full? Congrats on the weight loss!! I was sleeved 9/2!! :D Wednesday coming up, I start the puréed stage!! Not looking forward to blending anything though :(
blending food is not as bad as it sounds! I didn't mind it after I started doing it

I am one month out and the only thing I wasn't expecting was just so hard it was going to be to drink and eat enough.

It's become a full time job!

Every day does seem to get a little better though.

Surgery was a breeze for me.

I was sleeved on Monday 8/17.

Sent home on Wednesday the 19th.

I was nauseated for 2 days but the Zofran really helped.

I had no pain, really.

Never took a pain med.

Went back to work the next Monday (so only took 1 week off).

I am down 28 pounds.

Been the same number for 4 days now. I have been expecting the 3-4 week stall.

I feel really good though!

I am on the pureed stage but really haven't pureed anything.

Just mashed a bit, and chewed thoroughly.

Tonight I had chicken and refried Beans.

About 1/2 cup total and was full!

This morning I had 1 scrambled egg and 1 Oz of smoked salmon.

Delish.

Does your tummy tell you when ur full? How do you know that's your full? Congrats on the weight loss!! I was sleeved 9/2!! :D Wednesday coming up, I start the puréed stage!! Not looking forward to blending anything though :(
blending food is not as bad as it sounds! I didn't mind it after I started doing it

I have a texture thing...certain textures just feel BLAH. ya know lol I'm looking forward to beans!

I would be worried about eating Beans for painful gas reasons

I am so glad to have found this posting and thank Amber for asking the questions she did and for all of your answers. Two things I would love more info on is why can't some of you take crushed up pills and how do you stop yourself from throwing up?

I still have several more months to go before my sleeve and gallbladder surgery. I have been on the site since June and have learned so much and hope to learn even more. I want to be as prepared as possible. I am physically disabled and hope and pray this surgery will not only help me to lose weight but walk again.

Thank you so much darling! And thank you for participating too, we are all helping each other navigate through this thing. Regarding the crushed pills, the taste was horrible and the amount of Water it takes to swallow crushed pills versus a pill that has been cut in half is what caused me to feel sick. That was my first "stuck" feeling when I tried to swallow those crushed pills. Having just come home I didn't want to chance swallowing the pill whole or even cut in half, but at a week out and still having pain in the main incision, I did it out of desperation. I only had to do it for one day because when I woke up today I was in no pain. I've only had minor pain when I make a wrong move and overextend myself. I have been fortunate that I only threw up once, which was the day after I came home and I had to go back to the hospital because I didn't take pain meds that whole night (except the crushed pills when I first got home). At that time when I tried to swallow Water, I vomited the water, but otherwise no vomiting. They kept me for one night to manage my pain and hydrate me, then I was released the next day with lortab elixir (liquid meds). I used that for the rest of the week.

So my recommendation is to ask for liquid pain meds up front! My insurance didn't cover it so I had to pay $98 for it, but it was worth it! I would highly recommend that.

I would be worried about eating Beans for painful gas reasons

I considered buying retried beans to help me GO, but I talked myself out o it because they are too thick. I ate a couple bites of soft scrambled egg earlier (I know, it was probably a week too soon) and I've been feeling full ever since...that was around 4pm! Beans are much heavier than the third of egg I had, so I opted out. I won't be eating anymore eggs until next week. Although the I tolerated it quite well, I don't like feeling this full. I've already gotten used to my little tummy and the full feeling reminds me of those days when I overate even when I was full. I can honestly say I haven't eaten anything inappropriate, but maybe things I should be waiting a bit longer to eat, so I'm gonna fall back a little and stick to the week 2 plan, which for me is full liquids transitioning to puréed foods.

Things I didn't expect:

Having very little pain.

Being able to drink more Water than what I was told I would be able to (2 oz every 15 min was a piece of cake).

Not chewing good (chew at least 30 times) or it makes you sick.

I didn't crush my pills after the 4th day. The antibiotics were extremely disgusting if chewed. Even after brushing my teeth I could still taste them so I just took them whole.

Drink your 64 oz of Water and get you minimum 60 oz of Protein. Water is crucial.

Best of luck.

I didn't realize how much money my husband and I were spending on fast food/restaurants BEFORE surgery!! We've saved so much and now since I eat so little...things are lasting alot longer!!! Guess I'll just have to spend my money on other things like shoes n clothes!

I'm looking forward to this benefit. I calculated how much we spend on restaurants per month once and I was shocked.

Oh and I blew threw my food stages. I was eating eggs 21 days out. Wasn't supposed to but considering how great I was doing/feeling I risked it anyway. I was sleeved on 7/21. Flour tortillas are terrible to eat. Be careful if you end up trying any. I won't dare do that again lol

I am so glad to have found this posting and thank Amber for asking the questions she did and for all of your answers. Two things I would love more info on is why can't some of you take crushed up pills and how do you stop yourself from throwing up?

I still have several more months to go before my sleeve and gallbladder surgery. I have been on the site since June and have learned so much and hope to learn even more. I want to be as prepared as possible. I am physically disabled and hope and pray this surgery will not only help me to lose weight but walk again.

Amber is awesome! She's the best sleeve buddy I could ask for. This thread is going to help a lot of people.

Wait a minute!!! We have to cut out caffeine?!? That's a deal breaker! I have no problem giving up soda or other stuff, although giving up beer makes me sad.

Well we may not supposed to be having caffeine and beer but I had my first cup today since I was sleeved 7/21 and it went down just fine. No problems or sickness. I also have beer on rare occasions. I was at the lake today and I had 3 12 oz cans over a 5 hour period. No problem. I know it's "against the rules" to have those things but I think if you're able to handle it, then why not? Beer isn't good, i know, because of the carbonation, but I love me an ice cold Coors Light. ???? cheers bud. It'll be the best decision you'll ever make.

Amber is awesome! She's the best sleeve buddy I could ask for. This thread is going to help a lot of people.

Awww, I lucked up finding you to my friend @@Radar can't wait until you go under lol ????????

@ - forgot to mention shrinking fat cells can secrete a whole bunch of hormones rather rapidly and it can knock you for a loop...happens to men and women: http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/343777-guys-room-is-everyone-else-overly-emotional-or-am-i-just-an-ae/

So warn close loved ones this "might" happen. It's temporary. But I didn't know why I got so weepy watching chick flicks until I found that post. ;-)

I didn't expect my extreme hunger (I've always had ridiculously bad hunger pangs) to return after 30 days. I've been following the program with few exceptions, have not been drinking coffee or soda at all, but my churning stomach and acid feeling is back. I can drinking Water (don't have to sip sip sip) and worry that maybe I stretched my stomach out by not sipping instead. My stomach just hasn't had that "full" feeling since about two weeks after the surgery. I just ate Breakfast an hour ago and I'm already super hungry. This is my worst nightmare post-surgery -- well, not my worst. I had a very easy surgery and recovery and I'm grateful for that. I just really thought and hoped I would not be hungry like this again, especially not so soon. :-(

I'm 11 days post op and I fear this!

I am brand new here. I had my gastric sleeve on 8/25/15.

I am surprised at a few things that I am experiencing. The first one is that I don't have to sip, sip, sip. I can take a normal drink of Water. The second thing I am surprised at is that I have not vomited at all. I am surprised by the fact that I still cannot tell when I am full.

I will about 1/4 cup of cottage cheese. It's satisfying but I don't feel full. Yesterday I was able to eat 2 hard boiled eggs. I thought maybe it was too much food but I had no after effects. attachicon.gif image.jpg

I thought I was the only one!!! I am the exact same way as you are. It makes me feel like I am not doing something right

I didn't expect to use my microwave so much!!! I have to warm my broth/soups/oatmeal up every 4 or 5 minutes because it starts getting cold!!! Since it takes a while to just eat a couple ozs...this reheating thing is driving me nuts. I guess it could be worse though!! ????