Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things I didn't expect my first month post-op

Im 10 days post op. I also am experiencing the left shoulder pain(gas sucks) and i was surprised at the uncomfortable almost painful feeling i get when i drink too fast. Also my energy is zilch!!

objects-0177_large.png?v=1369543387

Here's to you Radar, one for the road (of WLS)! Your post made me laugh!

I am brand new here. I had my gastric sleeve on 8/25/15.

I am surprised at a few things that I am experiencing. The first one is that I don't have to sip, sip, sip. I can take a normal drink of Water. The second thing I am surprised at is that I have not vomited at all. I am surprised by the fact that I still cannot tell when I am full.

I will about 1/4 cup of cottage cheese. It's satisfying but I don't feel full. Yesterday I was able to eat 2 hard boiled eggs. I thought maybe it was too much food but I had no after effects. post-261582-0-23210300-1442000793_thumb.jpg

Omg this is a plethora of information, just what I was hoping for. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that hasn't had a BM at almost a week out. And I'm drinking Water like crazy with no problems but still don't have a desire to eat much else. I'm able to have full liquids now but hardly have a desire. My pain is still pretty bad at my incision site but it's not infected or anything. I'm taking it easy today. I was able to swallow a Colace soft gel and my Narco pill cut in half today, that suprised me because I couldn't take them crushed. I only did it out of desperation because my Syrup is almost gone. Also I licked a small amount of Trader Joe's Cookie Butter off the spoon when I served my daughter her afternoon snack of apple slices with cookie butter, and I didn't get sick. Nothing has made me sick so far actually. If I can just poop and get past this pain, I would actually be one happy camper. I don't even think about food very much anymore, it's actually kinda off putting and I have to force myself TO EAT. So I'm hoping this propels me to get rid of more than the 60% excess weight.

Quick question...has anyone tested the waters yet to see if they "dump"? I bought some Greek yogurt from Trader Joes yesterday and realized it still has 17g of sugar although I got the nonfat. Granted, I can only eat about a quarter of a serving anyhow, but I'm debating if I should try it at all out of fear of dumping. Any thoughts on this?

I was sleeved 8/12. I'm surprised by how much I have to go to the bathroom (pee, poop, whatever) and how much gas I still seem to have. It seems Bobzilla (that's what I named my sleeve), is constantly grumbling over something - which can be embarassing in a closed quarter mid-day meeting. I also feel thirsty almost all the time but I'm constantly trying to drink. I'm also pleasantly surprised at how much weight I've lost in the first month. I had a lap-band before being sleeved and my doctor considers me a light-weight and I read from multiple sources that I should expect to lose weight much slower than a 'virgin sleeve', but based on what I'm seeing here, I am right on track. This week, I have struggled with actually eating at all - so I have had days at work with back to back to back meetings and I literally have not time to eat but it hasn't bothered me.

That it would hurt to swallow anything for a couple of weeks.

That I would be scolded by the PA because I lost too much weight post op.

How little I can eat.

That I could no longer tolerate Protein shakes. I am working on it but I get nowhere near enough Protein.

It takes forever for me to eat a container of yogurt. I still struggle with chewing thoroughly/slowly and not eating too fast.

I didn't expect that gas pains would last so long. I am 2 weeks , two days out and this has is just sitting in my stomach. At one point I could eat because there was simply no space. Walking and constant movement along with hot liquids are also helping. I also didn't expect this level of weakness. Did my laundry today and boy oh boy . Also visited my storage two days ago and almost collapsed. This because I simply forgot to eat. Upset stomach, is it the same as nausea? Well if it is it's the worst thing ever! Besides all these, I guess it's OK.

I am slo very grateful for this site as I am sure without these references I would be so depressed. Grateful also for my friend who talked me out of doing the surgery in Mexico as having my doctor close by has proven quite helpful.

@@del112 I couldn't imagine doing this in Mexico. I love being able to call me doctor, no matter what time it is, if something doesn't feel right.

I just laughed so hard! I have done the scale thing already and I am pre-op. It makes sense to know!

I was quite surprised by:

- the intensity of the gas pain

- my entusiastic reaction to pureed chicken after drinking nothing but liquids

- my new obsession (weighing myself in the morning, without clothes, with clothes, before pee, after pee, at my friend's house, after a nap, in the middle of the night, with my hair up, with my hair down, on the bathroom floor, in my bedroom, 3 times in a row, 4 times in case the previous 3 were wrong etc.)

- the feeling of not being hungry (yes I know it's normal, and I did not it would happen, but the feeling is still new)

Things I have learned:

1. The gurgling is very embarrassing and noisy!

2. I do get hungry sometimes. I am 3 months out.

3. The scale is an angry beast sometimes and a lover at other times.

4. My poops are weird and it's harder and more time consuming to "go"

5. The full feeling is very different from before my sleeve.

6. 93lbs gone and I can run a little with my cardio

7. I love the Protein Shakes

8. Torani Syrup is a Protein shakes best friend

9. I still have 20lbs or more to go but I see it happening more and more everyday

10. Some days I still feel like the 255lb girl

11. Compliments are plenty, and always nice to hear.

12. Carbs are not that important to me anymore

So many more that I could write!

Things I have learned:

1. The gurgling is very embarrassing and noisy!

2. I do get hungry sometimes. I am 3 months out.

3. The scale is an angry beast sometimes and a lover at other times.

4. My poops are weird and it's harder and more time consuming to "go"

5. The full feeling is very different from before my sleeve.

6. 93lbs gone and I can run a little with my cardio

7. I love the Protein shakes

8. Torani Syrup is a Protein Shakes best friend

9. I still have 20lbs or more to go but I see it happening more and more everyday

10. Some days I still feel like the 255lb girl

11. Compliments are plenty, and always nice to hear.

12. Carbs are not that important to me anymore

So many more that I could write!

Please do write more.

I find myself adding more to the topic each day lol,

-a new one I've discovered now is that I can swallow pills that have been cut in half, a week post-op. My Syrup was getting low, so I tried it out of desperation, no issues at all!

-the broth from el pollo loco's tortilla Soup will change your life! The family had chicken for dinner and I tried this so I didn't feel completely left out...best decision I've made all week!

-that I can tolerate dairy! Tried a tablespoon of cottage cheese, and sprinkles of the cojita cheese in my Soup earlier, no issues at all!

-that this would be so mentally challenging! I have cried so many times these week, either from pain, weakness, frustration that I had to force myself to eat when I wasn't hungry, discomfort, etc. I see why they require the psych evaluation, this is not for the weak at heart, by any means.

-funny finding, that my nipple piercings would close up so fast! I had to take them out at the hospital before surgery, by the time I was released, my piercings were completely closed. I refuse to piece them again, as I just did it for my 30tg bday in April, and that crap hurt like no other! (Hey, this is gonna help somebody lol, don't judge me ???? lol)

-I still can't poop! Wtf, never thought I'd be looking forward to pooping so bad...this is BS man!

As you can see, I'm also getting a tad crazier by the day lol. This thing is like being baptized! Once I came from that table, I was born again, and my whole lifestyle changed instantly even when I'm still confused about what exactly I signed up for, and learning more and more each day.

So by all means, keep adding....add multiple posts as you discover new things....somebody is learning from this, I'm absolutely one of them ????????❤️

How easy it is not to eat and drink and how fast dehydration could set in (hospitalized 2 times in the first week)

How much I HATE drinking today, lol. I look at my 64oz and feel dread. I know it will get easier but ugh... anyway.

How happy I was to take a bite of cream soup... OMG heaven!

How frustrated I get when the scale doesn't move down every day.

How even though I have lost almost 30 pounds my pants still fit the same (although my boobs shrunk YAY!!!)

How tired I get. I am zonked out at 8:30 every single night.

How sometimes when I see someone eating a huge piece of pizza I feel a little regret.

How my hair is starting to feel dry and brittle.

How I really want to get a tatoo on my wrist that says NTAGASF - Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels. Just for me so that even in the hard times I can remember.

It is the end of month 2 and I am already forgetting.

The shoulder pain is the worst and nothing helps it, you just have to suck it up.

Sipping Water really sucks, but by the end of the month you can drink almost normally.

Purchased way too much broth.

Can swallow pills easily, I wish I hadn't gave away my expensive hair Vitamins.

It is positively gleeful not to be hungry.