Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No confidentiality about posts on Bariatric Pal! Shows up on Google search

VDB

The other day, I posted a new post about being wrong about how I took my supplements. Then, later today when researching Calcium citrate use, I found my post on Google... so for personal posts, no privacy when you post and reply on Bariatric Pal, this is wrong! Our support group functions should not be public.... what is going on here?

That is a good question! Following this thread to see what the answer is.

@

VIP status is a protected place to post. It is worth the cost if you are looking for confidentiality.

Your post can serve as a reminder that when you post something on the Internet, it's available to everyone and can never be truly deleted. Makes one wonder why anyone would use their real name here or share personal details that could reveal their identity.

We set up a family website when my twin grandsons were born. We were shocked to receive anonymous comments on their bath photos, requesting full frontal nudity!! There are people out there who get their kicks looking at photos of scars and goodness knows what else.

John VDB, your post is a good reminder. Sorry you didn't already know. Now all of us know.

Seriously?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You thought this was a confidential site?

Jeez, John.

@ Thanks for that information.

Guess I have to make some decisions.

Edited by carolm1965

@ Thanks for that information.

Guess I have to make some decisions.

Me, too! I don't want to pay 48 bucks a year for VIP status to keep my posts confidential... that does not seem like a support group to me...I have loved the group, but darn, why can't it all be kept private? I am a non-tech old guy and know my millenial age kids think I am crazy for expecting privacy...

@ I agree. That does not seem like a support group to me, either. I pay for enough services online already. I assumed, foolishly, that this place would have been private. I have loved the group too, but unfortunately, there is always a price.

I'll take my responsibility for not checking.

I've been a member here a year now, and honestly, I think I got this. :) Any other help I really need, can come from my support team (NP, NUT, Therapist etc.) they do keep my information confidential.

The question is....if I delete my account will all my posts go with it? Or, do I have to manually delete each post, Thank goodness it's just 282 and not thousands!

This might be The Universe's way of telling me to get off my butt, and off the computer, and move on with life! :)

Edited by carolm1965

@ I agree. That does not seem like a support group to me, either. I pay for enough services online already. I assumed, foolishly, that this place would have been private. I have loved the group too, but unfortunately, there is always a price.

I'll take my responsibility for not checking.

I've been a member here a year now, and honestly, I think I got this. :) Any other help I really need, can come from my support team (NP, NUT, Therapist etc.) they do keep my information confidential.

The question is....if I delete my account will all my posts go with it? Or, do I have to manually delete each post, Thank goodness it's just 282 and not thousands!

This might be The Universe's way of telling me to get off my butt, and off the computer, and move on with life! :)

You would have to manually delete each post. What you can do is change user name and remove your photo. It is the reason I post very little information pertaining to myself including photos. Good luck!

wow this is very disturbing information. Going to have to watch what I say.

This is not a support group, as some of you define that term. Yes, it offers support. But it's really just a message board on the Internet.

The Internet has many, many thousands of message boards about many thousands of topics. This is just one of them.

Some message boards are non-profit, and the board's costs (for the board server, software licenses, etc.) are funded by the owner or its members. This one is a commercial enterprise that invites advertising and generates revenue for its owners.

@ is right (see her post above). You can change your name and change your avatar. That will make it impossible (going forward) for anyone looking at this site in the future to know who you are -- assuming you don't post enough personal info about yourself to let close associates identify you.

160b87572a6472e5c23504870636ff0a.jpg

To be honest I am kinda glad it is. Prior to my surgery I was looking for all sorts of information and this site kept popping up on Google with limited things to view. I had no idea what it was...My point is most people who will will try to find information will be thankful to come across this as they are looking into this for a loved one or themselves. The first month or so I was the biggest stalker spending countless hours reading soo many posts and threads. I am soo thankful for this and even now.

Its easy to change your name and delete photos.....maybe even start new email that does not have your name in it and use that for sites such as this.

Just another way to maintain some semblance of annonymity.......

welcome-to-the-internet.jpg

It doesn't bother me. Actually it helps because I find google search is the best way to find things posted on this site.

This is the type of world we live in. Our whole life is on-line.

So if you are a private person, then don't use your real full name (as I did) as your I.D. or include too much detail in your profile. Most people don't.

John VBD, if you are worried, I suspect that if you delete some of the details in your profile, that within a week or two, the search engine crawlers will track the changes and puff, it (the personal markers) will disappear.