Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 3 years post sleeve surgery but I remember my nutritionist saying we should not have caffeine

I don't drink soda but I like regular coffee is that ok to drink regular coffee instead of Decaf?

I was told that we were told no caffeine because it is so dehydrating. In the early stages, that could be a problem. I would think that a cup of halfcaff to start at your stage would be well tolerated.

Hi Viiki! I was back to coffee at two months. I was told at that time I could have two cups a day. They prefer you get your liquid intake through Water because caffeine can dehydrate you.

Its kind of trial and error. I recently was trying out caffeine but it was making me dehydrated and I wasn't drinking enough Water to make up for it. It started leg cramps so I cut it right back out.

Coffee/caffeine isn't "dehydrating" or much more of a diuretic than Water is, and no one says to avoid water because it's going to dehydrate you.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/01/13/262175623/coffee-myth-busting-cup-of-joe-may-help-hydration-and-memory

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0084154

I asked my doctor whether caffeine/coffee was still allowed after surgery, because if it wasn't, surgery was off. I had to keep at least one addiction! Seriously, I drink about as much as I did before surgery. I had to work up to it. I am now 7 months out.

There are a few reasons that they say no coffee/caffeine.

The incorrect dehydration myth.

Also, they consider caffeine and appetite stimulant. I know for me it is the exact opposite.

Then there is the acid in coffee.

I talked to my Dr about it. I work for myself, I need to be able to focus to make money. As a freelancer I don't have the luxury of too many off days. I have been taking caffeine pills since about 4 weeks out. I switched to cold brew coffee (low acidity) and I mix it with unflavored Protein powder.

I loved coffee prior to surgery..I did switch to Decaf before surgery. However, post surgery my taste buds have changed and coffee does not taste the same so I have been able to just leave it. I would never of guessed this outcome. Good luck

My NUT said I could start drinking regular coffee at 6 months out. I think you're well past that time limit, so go enjoy a cuppa Joe!

You've gone THREE YEARS without coffee?!?! Wow. That's truly impressive. I had a hard time waiting six months.

I don't drink it every day but dang I love coffee. It's so comforting to me. I tried it early on and I couldn't handle the acid so I didn't try again until six months. It still burned a bit so I only had it sparingly. Now I can drink it whenever I want without any issues.

My doc said to limit myself to no more than 1 cup of coffee a day as long as I didn't have issues. I drank it weak for awhile but at 4 months out I can drink fully leaded coffee with no issues. In fact on weekends I make lattes with fair life milk instead of doing a protien shake.