Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Start dieting before surgery?

Hi guys,

I had my 2nd dietitian appointment yesterday and I left feeling a little down in the dumps. They were a bit disappointed with me that I hadn't started dieting and exercising yet. I was under the impression that they were giving me education on how I was to eat after the surgery, and how my lifestyle would change. I didn't fully understand that they wanted me to start "dieting" now. I had started incorporating some changes from my first appointment, like cutting out alcohol, cutting way down on my soda, no liquid with meals, and chewing my food very very well. I understand starting those things, so it is easier once I have surgery. Does anyone have tips on what I should be doing now food wise to change? Am I supposed to go on a strict low carb/low sugar/high Protein diet now? Honestly I am here now going through surgery because I obviously can't stick to a "diet" and I'm in a bit of panic mode right now. Any suggestions would help

WOW!!!!! When we went to classes it was all about how to eat after surgery. You right we are here cause for whatever reason we can't get results from diets. Don't get to down...maybe they just trying to prepare you for the new changes to come. Just eat all the meat , vegetables you want and you should be fine.

When is surgery???

My team started me on a three-month pre-op diet with habits similar to what I would need post-op. The basics were still Protein first, then veg, one serving of fruit per day, fiercely reduced starchs and don't eat anything made in a factory. It's totally do-able. We just don't want to.

My biggest problem was that my taste buds wanted to run the show instead of my brain. I was alrady an "expert" on nutrition, as many of us were from decades of dieting. Looking back now, I can't believe the enormous quantity of food I could eat in a day, like every meal was Thanksgiving.

The pre-op diet and ten days of liquid diet gave me a headstart of 23 pounds down before my surgery.

Your team may not have been clear on the timing of your dietary changes, but they are not being mean. It is standard for the course. Treat your taste buds like a petulent child. Me mommy - you kid. You can do this! You are in good company.

@monnie815 The surgery can't even be submitted to my insurance for approval until I've gone through all of the steps. Three months of dietitian appointments are what is required, so i'm half way through with that. I have to keep food logs, so they want to see what I am eating at every meal. I'm just worried that if I am not super strict with what I am eating they won't approve my surgery.

Don't get discouraged. They can be hard on you, but try to remember they want you to succeed. Whenever I get frustrated at things at my hospital or bariatric center I always try to remember, these people have dedicated their life to help us. They know it's hard, but I can totally admit sometimes I need a kick in the butt to get the ball rolling.

Just try making little changes, don't try everything at once. Maybe start working on getting all your Water in, and exercising 3x a week. No one's perfect, I didn't eat 100% healthy on my pre-op diet. But if you can start making small changes to your diet it will make it much easier after surgery. Good luck! You can do this. I know it doesn't seem it now but it gets easier. :)

You didn't say how close you are to your surgery date? But 2 things I would start doing right now, to make things easier.

1) Up your Protein to carbs ratio - shoot for 75% of your calories from lean Protein sources - chicken, pork loin, turkey, 93% lean hamburger.

And add more vegetables to your diet - broccoli, califlower, brussel sprouts.... you get the idea. :-)

2) Start a walking program. If you are like me, I had lots of pain in my feet and knees. I had to start gradually (as in, I started parking at the far end of the parking lot each time I went to the store or work) I started out walking 4 laps around the interior of my office each morning and worked my way up.

Hope these tips help, Keep taking small important steps, they will all add up to bigger success.

I would advise getting used to putting Protein first with all of your meals now. That's something that will take some getting used to. And start getting creative with your protein options, because chicken at every meal will get old fast! Now is a great time to experiment with recipes and different food preparations. Also, it's a great time to start getting more active, even if it's just walking. Everything you can do NOW to improve your health will just make your surgery that much safer and more successful.

Definitely don't take it personally or as being mean. Unless they are being shaming in some way, they really are trying to help you learn the skills you will need post-op to be successful. If they are being shaming then that is a shame. They should have skills to not do that. Good luck and do a little something each time you can take in to be proud of. You can do this.

I definitely didn't take it as shaming or being mean. I know they are only there to help me, and for goodness sakes, I sought them out for help, not the other way around. I was just disappointed in myself that I disappointed them, in not doing something they expected I would be doing. I guess I just didn't realize I was suppose to start already, in my mind I am just trying to wrap my brain around how things will be after surgery, to start now was just not something I expected. I think after I digest my appointment and think about small things I can do, I won't seem so daunting. Thanks guys for all of your words of encouragement and advice!

im on a 6 month pre op diet the easiest channge for me was no soda no juice and more Protein less carbs and eat fruit

You're on a good start by cutting out alcohol and soda, and are practicing chewing your food. You're slowing down while you eat which I think helps you to get fuller faster! Don't get discouraged, if you have questions about dieting - ask your dietician! That's what they are getting paid for! I had to do a six month Doctor supervised diet before my insurance would approve me. I learned a lot from asking questions, here and at my appointments! Good luck!!