Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confused about B-12

Hello, I am 4 days away from surgery and my wife and I are trying to get everything set up and ready for when I come home. I will say I really wish there was consistency in what we are all told, it seems like every doctor tells us something different.

I read on here about people being on liquids for weeks after surgery and then I look at what I am supposed to do and by 8 days post-op I will be allowed to eat soft foods. It gets very confusing sometimes and can also get overwhelming with all of the different things we are directed to do.

Enough of that and to my question...

I have gotten chewable vitamins (Advanced Multi EA) and Calcium Chewy Bites from Bariatric Advantage and, according to my NUT, they have everything I will need. But I see quite a few people on here talking about B-12 supplements and there is nothing in the paperwork I got about those. I know we should follow what our doctors say, but I also want to make sure I have everything covered.

The Vitamins I have will give me 2,000 mcgs or 33,000% of the daily recommended amount of B-12. How much do the vitamins you take give you? Is this something I need to look at getting as well?

Thanks for your input, and the information on here

I am suppose to take 1200mg that dissolves under your tongue. I picked them up at sprouts but I am sure you can get at Walmart also.

I take a nasal B-12.

Do what your doctor tells you.

I take 1000 mcg under the tongue daily at surgeons recommendation.

Same here 1000 mcg daily under the tongue it would appear you are getting a good dose from your multi-Vitamin good luck

I take a dissolvable/sublingual B12 from costco 1000 mcg per day

I take a nasal B12 once a week. I think it's called nascom.

I use Nature Made sublingual B-12. Melt in your mouth and work great. Got them at Walgreens, Safeway or Walmart. Cheaper at Walmart. My multi Vitamin has 100% but my surgeon wants extra.

Thanks for all of the feedback. I am going to ask them about this on Thursday when I go in for the operation. I want to make sure I am getting enough and now I have some options if I need to have my wife pick some up.

I saw something about a daily patch... Anyone familiar with that?

My doctor will give me the nasal spray B-12

My surgeon waited until I was 2 months out before putting me on B12 so they may just be waiting...

I do the self injection at home, first needle I've ever given myself, wasn't bad at all! And 3 months of B12 injections cost me $10 so very cost effective and don't have to chew pills or remember a spray all the time.

I take a 5000 mcg liquid sublingual that I purchased at United Supermaket.