Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

memory foam mattress

Hi everyone,

After giving birth and an episiotomy, I had difficulty getting out of an extra firm memory foam mattress.

Post gastric sleeve, did anyone who has a memory foam mattress experience difficulty sleeping or shifting out with the incisions? Should I get a recliner?

Thanks!

I have a memory foam mattress and i will say the first night i slept in my recliner. It was just easier. but after that , not a problem, i did use a body pillow to keep from rolling over on my incisions. but that is it, now im thankful for the memory foam mattress now that ive lost so much you sort of find new sleeping positions because you will have these bones where you never did before lol

Our memory is a adjustable, my hubby sucked it up for he first few days and slept in the upright position with me. I'm almost 3 weeks post op and it's been laying flat for over a week and I can sleep on my tummy again. It's not always the most comfortable when moving but u learn to "hold" your stomach when u move. I don't think thay buying a recliner for a couple of days is necessary. I would go to Walmart and by one of the pillows that have the arms and u can sit up with them would work the same.

I don't have a memory foam mattress, but I did sleep on a wedge pillow for about 2 weeks postop. Just hard to move myself around when I needed to engage those abs that were sore!!

I have a memory foam mattress & yes had some difficulty shifting. My biggest problem was I couldn't sleep on my side so I did sleep on a chair with foot stool the first week.

Slept in the recliner for the first week! Then, back in bed with lots of pillows!!!

I have a memory foam mattress and because I am tall I put it on 4 inch blocks. I am disabled and walk with forearm crutches. After countless back and neck surgeries I learned to roll on to your side and then push up with your arms. It helped post-op .Also lots of pillows help . I have them under my head, behind my back , between your legs and one to splint your stomach . Good Luck

I have a memory foam mattress and because I am tall I put it on 4 inch blocks. I am disabled and walk with forearm crutches. After countless back and neck surgeries I learned to roll on to your side and then push up with your arms. It helped post-op .Also lots of pillows help . I have them under my head, behind my back , between your legs and one to splint your stomach . Good Luck

I think it's time to go get me some pillows!!!! Thanks for all the great suggestions.

I bought a recliner specifically for recovery. I slept in it the first night home, slept in my bed (also have a memory foam mattress) after that, but took my naps in the recliner. Was great to have. I've since given it away and really miss it!

I have a memory foam mattress and did ok using a pillows to help support my stomach. Those first few days I wished I had hung on to my gigantic pregnancy pillow though!!