Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I suffer from extreme plantar fasciitis and it strongly affects my mobility. Initially the flare ups were limited primarily to when I first put my feet on the floor in the morning. The pain is akin to having sharp needles stabbed into your feet. And if it isn't a stabbing sensation, than it's an intense throbbing, as though I'd been walking 24 hours straight. Over the last year it's gotten much worse too, and is pretty much continuous.

I wear the standard orthopedic inserts, the wraps and night splints, went to physical therapy, was sent to pain management, and prescribed meds. I have even undergone a series of acupuncture treatments, which offered some relief, but only for about six months.

So my question is, has your weight loss surgery helped any with your plantar fasciitis? And if so, to what degree?

I used to have bouts of plantar fasciitis. They weren't particularly active immediately before my surgery, but I will say they have not come back since.

Are you doing foot stretching exercises? That was what was actually most helpful to me when I had PF. The most effective exercise that I found was something you can do either lying down or sitting up. I would do it in bed, first thing on waking up, and then at least five times during the day.

Lying down: cross one leg over so that the ankle of the top leg is resting just above/on the knee of the bottom leg. Keep your top leg and foot aligned in a flat plane parallel with your bed (i.e., don't let your toes point up towards the ceiling, down towards the bed, same for your top knee). Grab the toes of the top foot and pull the foot back towards the top knee. Repeat for 10 times. Switch legs and do the other foot.

My sister taught me this exercise -- she's a physician and she said this one particular exercise was the most help for her patients with PF. It really helped me a lot, more than inserts, acupuncture, etc -- and that was when I was over 350 lbs. But all of PF seems to be in the past for me since I lost weight. Good luck to you!

OMG I got it after my surgery in both feet. I was working out a lot and still over 220#. I was stretching enough. So I also had Achilles tendonitis with it. It's awful. I went through pt and got cortisone in both feet. I also had to wear a boot which is excruciating. I hope that with my revision and additional weigh loss it solves it. It flares up, but my feet never feel 100% most days.

I roll my feet with a golf ball. I also do stretches of my feet and calfs. I did not go back to foot dr. Because I know my weigh is gonna come up.

So sorry to hear about your PF, The Candidate. I had it so bad that it stopped me from even walking on a treadmill for over a year. I, too, am hoping that WLS is going to help. And even my small weight loss over the past few weeks has made things better!

The NYTimes published an article last year, based on recent research, that recommends one exercise in particular:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/09/15/heel-pain-treatment/?_r=0

Heal fast!!

I had PF for years and the only thing that relieved the pain were those Skechers round bottom shoes that were supposed to "exercise" your legs and butt. (they got in trouble for saying that!). I think they must have stretched the tendon, because after wearing those shoes, I no longer have the pain. I can wear any shoes now or go bare footed with no pain. I don't endorse them, that is just what helped me. Heavy or not, I had the PF, and now I don't. I kept one pair, in case the pain ever comes back.

Thank you @@Bufflehead @ @@CloserToFine for all the wonderful suggestions of exercises, stretches, information to read, and well wishes! ????. I'm definitely going to incorporate all of them into my daily routine.

I'm keeping hope alive in my heart that after surgery I and everyone else who suffers from this disorder, will be given some modicum of relief. It's so encouraging to hear that it might well happen, at least to some extent.

My shoe size has even increased in size in order to accommodate all the bulky inserts! That would be fantastic if I get to lose weight there too!

You guys are the best. ????

Edited by The Candidate

@@wannaBthinsoon I remember all the excitement about those shoes! They were very popular for awhile.

That's good to know and I'm going to do some research on them. Anything that might help is a plus.

Thanks so much!

Edited by The Candidate

Oh yeah the other think put a water bottle in freezer and roll with it! Good luck, I feel ur pain.

I had PF for years and the only thing that relieved the pain were those Skechers round bottom shoes that were supposed to "exercise" your legs and butt. (they got in trouble for saying that!). I think they must have stretched the tendon, because after wearing those shoes, I no longer have the pain. I can wear any shoes now or go bare footed with no pain. I don't endorse them, that is just what helped me. Heavy or not, I had the PF, and now I don't. I kept one pair, in case the pain ever comes back.

LMBO! I think Kim K. Got sued for saying those shoes gave her a big butt ???????????????????????? we all know that's not true!

Well, as I've already got a ginormous butt as it is, no worries there!

Hmmm... maybe I should try balancing a glass of champagne on mine like she did. Probably good for a few laughs! ????

My PF has come and gone over the years. I'm in the second year of "come on" right now. I only have it in one foot, thank goodness. I'm hoping that WLS will push it into the "gone" category.

I keep a bag of frozen peas handy. Numbing up the bottom of my foot when it's particularly bad helps me a lot.

the "shoes" had nothing to do with my big butt. But now that I've lost weight, I have no butt at all....so there's that. lol

Thanks @@Sharon1964 I'm going to get a bag of peas, great suggestion! At least they won't be tempting to cheat with. ????

I have it in both feet and they presented at the exact same time, which my doctor has told me is sort of unusual.

I didn't learn until later that some people get it on only one foot. Either way it seriously impedes your ability to walk, or even stand in one place for an extended period of time.

Strange the many ways our bodies find ways to retaliate against us.

Edited by The Candidate

@@wannabthin Too funny! Hey, maybe that's the real reason why they don't want us drinking alcohol post surgery. Without a big butt there'd be no place to set our drinks down!

I had plantar fasciitis, not quite to the extent you are explaining. It began when I started gaining weight rapidly. I'd put my feet on the floor and limp to the bathroom in the morning. Then they would hurt all day and I couldn't wait to get home and get off of them. I started my pre op liquid diet and lost 26lbs; at one point I realized my feet weren't hurting nearly as badly eat day and then it had gone completely away by the time of my surgery (two weeks!). I am 55lbs down now and have no pain at all. What a relief! I hope you get some relief as well as you begin losing the weight!