Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you can, I'd advise going straight to the cortisone shots. Don't let anyone tell you that they are "dangerous" or they will "make you gain weight." They are not like steroids that circulate in your system...the cortisone stays localized (that is how it works!) and will eliminate the PF inflammation while it heals. What a godsend this stuff is.

I've done them twice. Once the PF heals, you can then keep it at bay with all the above PT. But get yourself out of the acute pain now.

I cannot understand why people don't go immediately for the proven cure and fool around with all the other methods.

That said, make sure the shots are administered under xray or other, because the person shooting you needs to target the precise area or it will be of little relief.

Also (they often forget to tell you this), you will have a lot of pain 24 hours after the corisone is injected. This is merely the stuff setting up in your foot and sparking nerves. It goes away, and then....blessed, pain-free walking.

If you can, I'd advise going straight to the cortisone shots. Don't let anyone tell you that they are "dangerous" or they will "make you gain weight." They are not like steroids that circulate in your system...the cortisone stays localized (that is how it works!) and will eliminate the PF inflammation while it heals. What a godsend this stuff is.

I've done them twice. Once the PF heals, you can then keep it at bay with all the above PT. But get yourself out of the acute pain now.

I cannot understand why people don't go immediately for the proven cure and fool around with all the other methods.

The scientific literature isn't so gung-ho on injections for PF. The risk of rupture of the PF is high, which can make the problem exponentially worse.

I asked my boss (board-certified in pain management as well as physical med & rehab) if he would inject mine. He said the lidocaine mixed in with the steroid would give me some temporary relief, but the literature doesn't show it is helpful long-term. I had him do it anyway, because I was in so much pain. And good heavens, did it ever hurt! I called him all kinds of bad names!

Unfortunately, he was correct. I'm glad it helped you; I was hoping I would also be one of the few it helped.

WEIRD! I edited a sentence at the bottom to fix a misspelling and I lost the formatting of the quoted part!

Edited by Sharon1964

For my one foot cortisone helped went spinning same night, for the other foot no bueno. Did nada!

I waitressed for 50 years and the last 10 I suffered from PF. I had to wear Birkenstock constantly. Except in bed and shower.

I had birkenstock inserts for my waitress shoes. I retired in Oct and hope the weight helps.

My mother gets cortisone shots frequently and so I know how painful they are! Ouch!

I guess I just want to explore all other avenues of treatment before going that route. Plus I want to see if losing a significant amount of weight will improve it any. But I've lost 30 pounds already as a pre op and so far, there's been no improvement.

Since I was required to lose 10% of my weight to meet my insurance's hurdles and maintain that loss until my surgery, which will be on 07/29, I've had no choice but to keep up with exercising despite the pain. So I'm sure that has only aggravated the matter.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. It's a big help!

Thank you @@padremama I will look into Birchenstock.

Wow as a waitress I know you never get a chance to sit down! My hat is off to you. I have a desk job so I sit a lot in front of the computer. And every time I have to stand up after a prolonged period of sitting, it's like that intense first thing in the morning agony.

But waitressing probably saved me from bigger problems. Who knows if I hadn't had that exercise at work how much I would weigh. And I loved it.

I had PF too, and went through all the special inserts with no relief, and finally my Podiatrist said get a pair of Croc clogs.

I did, and PF gone.

I haven't had a problem ever since. The Crocs go on before I hit the floor. I wear them around the house. I wear other shoes for exercise, and of course when I go out I can wear real shoes, when I get home the Crocs go back on my feet. I won't give up my Crocs, they cured me. They really do offer a great deal of support. Have to get the real thing, not the fake kind.

Thank you @ I've never tried crocs before so I'm going to check them out. I'm so glad they brought you relief!

Edited by The Candidate

I also had PF. About 15 years ago I had a simple operation on each foot about a month apart. I first tried all these exercises and inserts. They did nothing for me. The foot Dr. recommended the procedure. I was able to walk without pain immediately after the surgery. Dr. don't like to do this procedure but for me it was instant relief with no side effects.

I'm going to try crocs too. Birkenstocks can be expensive

I too had PF! The best thing I did was first start losing weight but also I bought the sketchers with gel and memory foam sneakers! Amazing!!! Made all the difference!!! Still love them! What a difference too not having PF anymore! Good luck to you!

I agree. ..I've had PF soo bad...went through therapy, cortisone shots, custom orthotics $500, medical crocs, and Birkenstocks....and I LIVE in my birkenstocks...the absolute best relief for PF....the best $100 investment EVER!!!

Edited by caligul

DANSKO shoes! They are expensive but you can stand/walk for hours in them and your feet don't hurt. Completely cured me of my PF. I'm a hair stylist and stand all day. If I go a few days of wearing a sub-par shoe, I start feeling it again. Dillards carry the best selection to try. Then once you find your size, you can look online to get a better deal. However, I find them worth every penny!

I had serious PF and I do feel it's better with WLS but I still have it. I do the exercises (mentioned by others) before I get out of bed in the AM.

I have great orthopedics that cost a lot but worth it.

The good news I go barefoot much more often with 60+ lbs down. I love it. I could never have done that before.

Crocs didn't do a thing for me. OOfos are amazing sandals with nice high soft arch. Had to get them online. I wear them around the house all the time now. Not too expensive. Made in Korea. Also Keen have been good for my PF. Also expensive but hey, it's my feet. Can't get around without them puppies.