Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was down to one cup of coffee pre surgery and had a terrible caffeine headache for 3. Or 4 days after surgery... The pain was worse than the surgery pain.

Well it is day 3 and I didn't get a headache today. Also trying to get plenty of sleep. My worst frustration has been finding what to drink. Finally made it to the store and going to try Decaf tea if ok with dietician. I have my pre op appointment tomorrow at 8am and I will ask. Thanks for your advice and encouragement. I am so glad the caffeine addiction is out the door! !

Hi everyone. I am still many months away from surgery...and no caffeine. But this has been a leading concern when I go on my pre-op liquid requirement. I had already thought I might start weening myself earlier, but now I know I will based on y'all's advise. Thank you!

And for those looking at teas, there are also herbal teas like the Tazo brands that are just herbs (not teas) so they have no caffeine I believe.

Years ago I weaned myself off of coffee gently by switching to green tea. Something to consider. I'm hoping to slip some in post-surgery when I am in the liquids phase.

Question for those who had bad headaches: how much coffee were you drinking daily before you cut back? I was drinking two cups a day and have been down to 1 for the past couple of weeks. I'm hoping that the withdrawal maybe won't be as bad since I only have 1 a day. :(

I was drinking 3 to 4 (12oz) Diet Dr Peppers per day. I started a few weeks ago lowering the amount of cans then I would buy the 20oz bottle and drink half for Breakfast and half for lunch at work. I finally just stopped buying them. The dietician said ok to Decaf tea with splenda or stevia. Also infusing Water with limes, lemons or oranges it taste pretty good. I cut the peel off since it gives a bitter taste to the water. Also making fresh limeade and lemonade.

I was advised by the NUT to give up coffee because I've had post op acid reflux. Coffee is very acidy apparently. So, day two today with no coffee. I'm suffering with a splitting headache. So I've been using some excedrin to cope.. but that has caffeine in it too. I plan to reduce the amount of meds each day until head's better.