Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 8th sleeve...things no one told me

Stool softeners didn't do the trick for me at first. Those pain pills really mess you up if you're really miserable asking about lactulose. It will do the trick rapidly

Hi Jerry nothing you can do pre op to lessen the gas because they pump you full of air during the surgery. Just walk as much as you possibly can it really works to keep things moving sounds too simple but that's the trick

@Itsanot99 GasX is that liquid or tablets?

I had gel caps but I know it is made in several different ways such as liquid, little tabs that melt on your tongue. They all are good! Hope that helps!

Gas Ex strips that melt on your tongue may help.

Walk, walk, walk!!????????????????????????????????????????????????. Enough said! Lol

Hi All,

Well I'm officially sleeved as of Monday! Still in hospital as I write this. My doctor told me I would have gas pain, but he never told me that gas pain would feel like I was giving birth! It hurts like contractions and I cannot take pain meds as I end up vomiting them. Really rough start. Still can't even handle Water, and I'm on nausea medicine whenever I want.

They gave me suppository for the gas pain to try and help it, and it does feel a bit better today. I'm up and walking every hour. No Problems there. The stitches don't hurt, belly doesn't hurt, just severe gas pain for two days, and a lot of dry heaving. Not fun for sure. Not sure if body didn't like being under or what, but this has been a lot harder than what I was told. Hopefully it will be better today.

Amy

@ work2Bskinny I was sleeved June 10! and early on I had such severe gas pains mostly in my back and shoulders. What really helped me our was that I told my kids and boyfriend to pat my back like a baby and burp me! It took a good long while and although this is embarassing i had to squat and streach as my daughter patted my lower back till finally I passed gas pretty hard and only then was I able to move without pain and the suddenly I was passing gas out both ends and got rid of the pain. Total relieve! Try it dont know it!

I was lucky had a morphine pump, yes the gas pain was bad but I had been warned and took gasx it did wonders. My issue was the good awfull headache I had for 2 days. I honestly think it was from caffine withdraw had my hubby sneak in some unsweetened tea to sip on but it wasn't enough to help. I stayed for 2 days my choice so the pump was a god send. I am having issues now with just now feeling well, just kind of empty and blah, rolaids are my best friend right now. got to talk to my doctor about this issue!![/quote

My dr sent me home on nexium for two months. He said it is a requirement. I have had to start taking it twice a day the acid was so bad. Its better now but I do use tums occasionally. I hope you feel better soon.

Okay so it sounds weird, but my dad gave me the tip of bouncing up and down. It REALLY works for the gas that gets stuck in your chest/ribs area!

Okay so it sounds weird, but my dad gave me the tip of bouncing up and down. It REALLY works for the gas that gets stuck in your chest/ribs area!

@ rgodfrey09 you gotta do what you gotta do lol.! was sleeved on the 10th! The gas pain was so horrible it was in my back and shoulders! What honestly helped was I had my girls and my boyfriend pat my back like you would a baby. I could feel the air travel in my body so I leaned over my bed squated sorta and had my daughter pat my back in that possition. It took a good while but i finally managed to get that very painful gas bubble out it kinda hurt coming out but once I passed that air /gas bubble I could move without pain and in no time I was passing gas out both ends!!! Ahhhh relief! The stories we live to tell.????

I haven't had surgery yet, but my mother has and she swears by the Gas-X thin strips (mint). Keeps a case of them lying around (Yes, not a box. A case)

I'm two days out and I'm still really struggling with the gas pain as well. I can burp just fine, but nothing is coming out the other end. I also have TERRIBLE hiccups. They come about once an hour, sometimes when I drink something, sometimes when I'm just laying down, sometimes when I stand up and walk around. There's no controlling them. I'm hoping I'll be able to get some more liquids in once I get rid of all this gas, but I'm definitely not meeting the 64 oz per day goal my doctor set. Maybe half of that, if I'm lucky. I hope you all get to feeling better soon.

I'm 1 week and some days out. Have your hiccups and gas pains stopped?

I was sleeved on June 29 and like most of you- I experience the same but I think for me it was the stomach spasms- oh God it was so painful - first night I spent it vomiting and dry heaving - draining me of all my energy and feeling miserable. Day 2 was a bit better and it was happening every 2 -3 hrs. Left the hospital after two days and I found that taking my oxycodone calms the stomach spasms and I take warm peppermint tea and chicken broth which helps in between medication. I even warm up my premier chocolate shake so that my sleeve does not act up. I can only take 2-4oz within the hour. I then switch it up to having Jello and ice Popsicles but I have to eat these really slowly - my sleeve does not tolerate cold stuff to well and it will let me know immediately- it feels like a sac of rocks was just dropped in my stomach. Well that's all for me - I can only say it does get better - one moment at a time.

You poor thing I was so lucky to not have any stomach spasms or Nausea. I really couldn't do anything more than liquids the first week and a half even the Jello hurt. I also drank all my liquids at room temperature. I am almost 4 weeks out and cold stuff still slightly hurts. Don't forget to take stool softeners while you are on meds. You don't want to hurt yourself straining later