Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you handle the nay sayers ?

Thanks you guys I needed to hear these things. Not telling her would not be an option. As mad as she gonna be and worried I could never go to Mexico and not tell her. I also am a single mother and my daughter will not be going with me. I do have a back up plan if my mom refuses to keep her thinking that would keep me from going. This is all contingent on not getting approved through insurance.

Just had this convo with my mom and she was not happy about me going to MX. I explained to her that I've done the research and I understand my possible outcomes and that it will be in God's hands. She asked a hundred questions and then I changed the subject. Lol. I just asked her to be positive with me about it and about my post surgery life. I explained the facts about my current health and the future prospects with our families health history as that this surgery is less of a risk than staying fat. She agreed with that idea. She's still very concerned especially about me being left high and dry at the airport, the dr being a sham, being kidnapped...that about sums it up. ???? I definitely get it. All most people in the US have to go on is what the media talks about and movies. I get her legit concerns (post op complications and care) and I share them tbh but I'm just believing for a great complication free surgery and post op. She wants me to call her every step of the way and I'm fine with that.

I completely understand your feelings and frustration. I went to my husband and he was about to die. I put him on all the forums for the company I chose to help plan my surgery....ummmmmm....needless to say that didn't help. His focus is the same as katalystic's friend, drug trafficking and organ sales. He further said he's not coming with me because he doesn't support my decision to go to TJ. He's always bringing it up, so finally I said shut up about it. I am not asking for permission I'm telling you what I am going to do. His opinion won't change my mind.

It's sad he's never weighed over 160 lbs soak and wet, but don't understand how I feel carrying 300lbs daily plus 2 stomachs. I'm a cute girl, but taking 4 shots of insulin and 3 blood pressure pills is too much. Let me not even start on all the illness I have developed with being overweight.

My advice is to tell her to fu-- off because until she walks a mile in your shoes dont judge. Either be supportive or shut up!!!

Just had this convo with my mom and she was not happy about me going to MX. I explained to her that I've done the research and I understand my possible outcomes and that it will be in God's hands. She asked a hundred questions and then I changed the subject. Lol. I just asked her to be positive with me about it and about my post surgery life. I explained the facts about my current health and the future prospects with our families health history as that this surgery is less of a risk than staying fat. She agreed with that idea. She's still very concerned especially about me being left high and dry at the airport, the dr being a sham, being kidnapped...that about sums it up. I definitely get it. All most people in the US have to go on is what the media talks about and movies. I get her legit concerns (post op complications and care) and I share them tbh but I'm just believing for a great complication free surgery and post op. She wants me to call her every step of the way and I'm fine with that.

Reassure that THOUSANDS of Americans go to Mexico for surgery every year. Ask her to recall ONE story in the news about an American going to Mexico for surgery and being killed, kidnapped, or having their organs stolen. These are all urban legends and the plots of movies. If she can name ONE instance in the real news, out of the THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of people who go to Mexico for surgery, I'd be impressed.

I'd be tempted to add: In the shape my organs are in, I'd have to pay someone to harvest them. And if they're planning a kidnapping I hope they had the forethought to bring along a tow truck. I'm like a dinosaur, so a single dart will never bring me down!

In my world sarcasm reigns supreme! ????

Edited by The Candidate

Lol...I agree @@The Candidate

This weekend was very difficult. My father and step-mother think I'm crazy for wanting to go TJ. They brought up drugs (cartel, infections, lack of skill of surgeons etc... I would counter and even showed them information that differed from what they said. There are so many people that get the surgery and are doing great. There are doctors in the USA that are not good either. I like the doctor that I choose and the support group is great. I'm just going to do it and never talk to them about it.

@Dml77....as Madea (Tyler Perry's character) say " folks gonna talk til the day you die...it ain't what they call you its what you answer to"...lol...do what you think is best for you...I personally see it as an opportunity to save my life...although my husband doesn't agree and I refuse to tell anyone else im doing I think is best because I did the research not them!!! Don't be surprised if they bring it up often because my husband does and I change the subject

Thanks for the words of encouragement. You are right, I have to follow what I know I have researched and not listen to people who have done zero research.

Edited by dml77