Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How were some of you able to lose so much weight in so little time? For example 3 mos post op and have already lost almost 50-80 lbs. What are ya'll secrets? Because I'm 6 weeks and only have lost 32 lbs. I'm far from losing almost 80 by the time my 3 month surgiversary arrives. Help me please!!!

Don't get into this you will drive yourself crazy. This is your journey, no body else's. Some people lose lots in the first few months and others less. You don't know what people's starting points are. Someone might lose 50 lb and their target is 150 so hey have lost 33%. In the same period another person might lose 30 lb and their target is 100lb so their lose is 33% too. If someone posted a 50lb loss and another 30lb who has had the most success? You don't know unless you know people's starting and finishing points.

@@leag78,

Ukcathy is exactly right. Everyone loses weight at a different rate. It has a lot to do with how much weight they need to lose (starting point). You will notice over time that weight loss slows down to a crawl and you have to fight for every single pound.

I lost a lot in my first 8 weeks but since then, if I lose between 5 and 10lbs a month if I am lucky.

Also, in the end everyone that loses a bit slower catches up to those who lost quickly in the beginning. You have lost 32lbs in the first six weeks! That is significant.

When was the last time you lost so much so quickly?

Remember slow and steady wins the race. Also you certainly did not put this weight on in 6 weeks, you cannot expect it to come off in six weeks either.

Stay positive and keep doing what you are doing. You are making great progress already! Congratulations!

leag78,

UK Cathy is completely right…don’t even bother going down this path because you will drive yourself crazy. You might also end up discouraging yourself so much you decide to quit your good intentions.

Besides that…I don’t even understand your disappointment! You said you lost 32 pounds in 6 weeks and you don’t know how some people lose 50-80 pounds in 3 months. Well, I have news for you. If you’re losing 32 pounds in 6 weeks, you’re on pace to lose 70 pounds in 3 months. FYI!

And Djmohr is exactly right – when is the last time you lost weight so fast? Probably never. And how long did it take you to put on the weight? Probably a long time. So ENJOY this magical time – the fast weight loss, the changes in your body, the pride you get from knowing you are taking control of your weight and health, and the knowledge that you can do this…because you ARE doing this!

You are all absolutely right, but when I went to see my nutritionist last week she told me by 6 weeks I should have lost at least 30% of my excess weight, which she calculated that I should have lost between 45-48 lbs. Before she said that I thought I was doing good, and when I read some of you alls success stories, some of you started where I started, and have already lost a significant amount of weight. So I thought I was missing something.

Edited by leag78

You are definately not missing anything! You are doing fantastic. Celebrate your success!

I 'be lost sixty pounds in the last ten months! So for you to lose thirty pounds in six weeks is fantastic! I just seem to be a slower loser. Even so I made my one year percentage goal in seven months. I also lost thirty before surgery, so sounds like you'll have no problem making your goals.

Where was that thread that dealt with the issue it was about people complaining about losing a great amount of weight fast. I think losing too fast is a recipe for disaster as the chances of regain in the future would be very high. Taking it slow adapting good eating habits and exercise are the key to long term success.

I am at six weeks on Tuesday and have lost 22 pounds. Let the fact that in the same amount of time you have lost TEN lbs more than me soothe your mind...

What's your big hurry? I had "only" lost 17 pounds at 7 weeks postop and I was thrilled. My rate of loss did not keep me from meeting and even passing my goal. Weight loss is not a competitive sport. You have the rest of your life to "win".

One thing I have noticed...it's really not about pounds, but %'s.....

Someone who starts at 400 lbs, and looses 100 lbs, is no different than someone who starts at 200 lbs and looses 25 lbs...

(Very rough estimate)

So when I see someone saying they lost a tremendous amount of weight, where did they start from? Some people can drop 25 lbs in the first day or two with hardly no effort because they have so much to loose.....

So you really can't go around comparing to other people....the less body fat one has, the tougher it is...

Thank you all for your words of encouragement. I know that this takes time and work I just thought I was doing something wrong because I keep stalling.

UK Cathy hits the mark, what you may see as an edge for some people ironically can be a curse, I have the opposite problem, I have been overweight since I was 5, I could lose weight at will but gained it back very quickly, example : 7yrs ago when I found out my wife was pregnant with my daughter I lost 60lbs in 3 months, but after we had her I gained it right back, my top weight which I reached 1 1/2 years ago was 400lbs, I managed to get back down to 380, I knew it was coming down too quickly so I took on my journey, after talking to my dietician and educating myself for two years I am scheduled on 6/10, I have lost a total of 23lbs on my own and with my pre diet probably another 20lbs or so, last week I was at 362.2, and next week I expect to be at 343-346lbs, but I doing it right this time and it still comes off fast, wish I was like that you say? Well wait, here's the awesome part, I get sick easily, I get headaches at times, I suffer from fatigue and lethargy, and my body hurts, oh and by the way anytime I do wanna indulge the reward not to us that no one likes "DIARRHEA" sorry just thought you should hear what it really is like sometimes, I wish I could slow it down, I wish it was a steady easy slow process, because those are the one's that have the edge, they keep it off, good luck and count your blessings, I call this my rebirth

change nutritionist

change nutritionist

Amen Terry! I was waiting to see if anyone would post that. The nutritionist is setting you up for failure. Have a good long talk with him/her. Telling you that you are not where you should be is not only wrong...but counterproductive.

Really....think about going with another nutritionist.