Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the OCC

Hi everyone- it's been so long since I participated in the boards, I don't even know where to begin to catch up. I was sleeved in February and was doing pretty good until about July when I hit stall after stall. From July to sept I lost only 7lbs even though i still have plenty of weight to lose and I've been stuck since September at the same weight. I won't ramble on- I haven't been around because in September I found out I have thyroid cancer which had started spreading to the muscle in my neck. Had surgery October 17th to remove thyroid and some of the muscle in my neck that the cancer was touching. It's been a tough road, very difficult to function. Energy is very hard to come by... I exercise when I can, but most days just getting out of bed and making it to work is my only victory. I've been pretty depressed trying to deal with this, I hope it's not the "new me", hopefully it will just take some time to get my medication levels right. I was so close to 100lbs down until my surgery..then I gained 5. While I know 95lbs down is great, I almost feel like i didn't get to fully use my tool of VSG in my first year, you know? I'm sorry to be negative, I am trying to think more positive. Anyway, I just thought even though I haven't lost weight and I'm nowhere near my goal, that I should come back on here for encouragement and to see anyone else is dealing with my issues. So I stopped by one of my favorite topics to say hi.

I was sleeved Nov.7, 2013 and found out my whole thyroid had to be taken out about 6 weeks later. They scheduled that in Feb just 3 months after being sleeved. I stalled out afterwards, my TSH got up to 18 (for me optimal seems to be about 1), no energy to even get out of bed. But it worked itself out as my thyroid numbers and medications got stable. I'm 5 lbs under OCC's goal for me now. So just push on. Don't let stalls get you down. I always stuck with not drinking calories and waiting the full 45 minutes after eating to drink.

I am scheduled for January 20th with Dr. Ortiz with A Lighter Me. I see you're from TN, too. I'll be leaving the day of your surgery to return home. Best wishes!

I was sleeved Nov.7, 2013 and found out my whole thyroid had to be taken out about 6 weeks later. They scheduled that in Feb just 3 months after being sleeved. I stalled out afterwards, my TSH got up to 18 (for me optimal seems to be about 1), no energy to even get out of bed. But it worked itself out as my thyroid numbers and medications got stable. I'm 5 lbs under OCC's goal for me now. So just push on. Don't let stalls get you down. I always stuck with not drinking calories and waiting the full 45 minutes after eating to drink.

Thank you! That gives me so much hope! I've been so discouraged and sad about the whole situation. How long did it take you before you got stabilized and started losing again?

Hello, I think I will be there on the 8th of February! I will look forward to hearing about your experiences!! 

Thanks! 

I have to agree with everyone, Dr. Ortiz and his staff are wonderful. When Dr Ortiz came into the room before surgery and talked to me, immediately all of the fear left. The first thing I see after surgery is Dr. Ortiz's beautiful smile telling me surgery is done.

Last night I had no pain or gas. I was released this morning and is back at the hotel resting. I can truly say the only regret I have is not having the surgery sooner.

I had my surgery on Friday too with Dr. Ortiz and was released on Saturday morning. I agree he is amazing and his staff too! They never pushed me to walk because I was still pretty drugged, at some point they refused me going to the bathroom but I insisted to go lol. I didn't have any gas pain until I got home last night :) I know it will take some time. I even got up and cooked a full dinner for my family ;) but left the cleaning for my hubby. Just struggling with the Fluid intake and will have to work on that.

Funny you should mention the bathroom.  I guess when I came to, I had to use the bathroom really bad.  I remember them telling me that I had to wait.  Like you, I insisted - got the bedpan LOL.

Was sleeved on Tuesday, great experience so far.

Final payment made today!!!!!!! Surgery 1/13!!! Super SUPER excited! SUPER nervous!!!! Pre op diet....ugh!!!!! ????. Down 6 lbs though! Only need to lose 10lbs! Oh well...I just keep pressing on! THANK YOU to all of you that take the time to document your experiences! You have all in outages SOOOOO many people, myself included! Not only did you guys take the time to document your experience but you continue to update us all on how you are doing, answer all of our questions no matter how many times you have been asked, and you continue to encourage all of us and inquire about how we are doing! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! A million times, Thank You!! You ladies are AMAZING!!

Final payment made today!!!!!!! Surgery 1/13!!! Super SUPER excited! SUPER nervous!!!! Pre op diet....ugh!!!!! ????. Down 6 lbs though! Only need to lose 10lbs! Oh well...I just keep pressing on! THANK YOU to all of you that take the time to document your experiences! You have all in outages SOOOOO many people, myself included! Not only did you guys take the time to document your experience but you continue to update us all on how you are doing, answer all of our questions no matter how many times you have been asked, and you continue to encourage all of us and inquire about how we are doing! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! A million times, Thank You!! You ladies are AMAZING!!

See you there!! I'm scheduled the 12th ????

So after researching the sleeve for weeks I have decided to take the plunge and get the procedure done by Dr. Ortiz on March 20th! I am so excited...I can barely sleep at night and focus at work it is bad!! All I do is think about this new adventure that I will take in a few months!

Since my insurance won't cover this elective surgery I will be paying out of pocket for this procedure (thus I have to wait until March to get my bonus). I am so ready for this next chapter of my life- I refuse to let another year go by with me still dealing with these issues. I know I need help and I truly believe that this surgery will help me in my Quest for a healthy lifestyle!

The only person who is not supportive is my mother. She is worried about me going to Mexico for the procedure and is scared that something bad will happen. I told all my family about how qualified Dr. Ortiz is and how his facility is an International Center of Excellence but she still prefers me to get my surgery done in the US. To be honest, I thought about it for a little while but Dr. Ortiz has more credentials than the doctors that I looked into. My dad is very supportive and he will go to Mexico with me. Thus, I hope my mother can respect my decision and just pray for a safe and speedy recovery!

Either way, this surgery is for me and me only. I have to live in this body and I want to live a long life - I am so glad that I found this thread because it has been very helpful in me making my decision on Dr. Ortiz! Thank you all and have a Happy New Year!

So after researching the sleeve for weeks I have decided to take the plunge and get the procedure done by Dr. Ortiz on March 20th! I am so excited...I can barely sleep at night and focus at work it is bad!! All I do is think about this new adventure that I will take in a few months!

Since my insurance won't cover this elective surgery I will be paying out of pocket for this procedure (thus I have to wait until March to get my bonus). I am so ready for this next chapter of my life- I refuse to let another year go by with me still dealing with these issues. I know I need help and I truly believe that this surgery will help me in my Quest for a healthy lifestyle!

The only person who is not supportive is my mother. She is worried about me going to Mexico for the procedure and is scared that something bad will happen. I told all my family about how qualified Dr. Ortiz is and how his facility is an International Center of Excellence but she still prefers me to get my surgery done in the US. To be honest, I thought about it for a little while but Dr. Ortiz has more credentials than the doctors that I looked into. My dad is very supportive and he will go to Mexico with me. Thus, I hope my mother can respect my decision and just pray for a safe and speedy recovery!

Either way, this surgery is for me and me only. I have to live in this body and I want to live a long life - I am so glad that I found this thread because it has been very helpful in me making my decision on Dr. Ortiz! Thank you all and have a Happy New Year!

Wow!! So happy for you!! I'm glad your dad is supportive and hopefully mom will come around. I know some people have had their family come on here and read this thread to become more comfortable. And seriously if you had a surgeon near you do it there would be NO WAY to have direct word of mouth access to this many of their patients who are all at different stages in the process.

You know what? I have to come down there because I want to get an in person consult with Dr Medina for plastics. I sent them pictures but I want to go in person too and I wanted to make sure Dr Ortiz was going to be there because I HAVE to get an "after" pic with him ???? I'm going to email Ora to see if I can do it on that day or after! It would be perfect because I can plan it with my schedule now it will give me a couple of months to get in the gym and tighten up a bit!! I'll email her and let you know. I keep seeing everyone's surgery dates but they don't work with my schedule. I would like to meet some of you to ease your fears because I was so terrified too when I was in your position.

See you there!! I'm scheduled the 12th ????

See you there!!!! Praying the weather holds out so we don't have to deal with cancelled or delayed flights!! It's in God hands! He got us this far and he will get us the rest of the way!

Anyone making the decision for weight loss surgery is facing a life changing event, no doubt about it. Whether is be performed by a dr in the US or in any other country. Once the decision has been made to go with the surgery of your choice, the next decision that must be made is which dr you decide to perform the surgery. Obviously those of us that are self pay have to consider other countries if finances do not warrant the $28000 for surgery in the US. My daughters and I made that choice, going with Dr. Ariel Ortiz for all the reasons noted in this post... Center of Excellance, FACS certified, etc. I was lucky because my surgery was approved by my insurance last June and I had the surgery here in the US close to my home. But being denied insurance coverage for my daughters did not deter us from seeking other options. It should not deter you either. Yes, I understand your mother's concerns. I am sure they are exactly the same as mine were. BUT I knew that both my daughters deserved the chance to have a better life. I believed dr. Ariel Ortiz was qualified and could bring my daughters safely to the other side on their journey towards a new life. They had their surgeries on dec. 8 and I was there beside them every step of the way. There were things that I honestly have to admit we're not as "updated' as I would have liked, knowing the procedure I recently had here in the US, but nothing that was alarming or gave me pause for thought, thinking we might have made the wrong choice. No nothing like that. Instead, they are now 3 weeks into their recovery and working through the dreaded 1st month that we all must go through. I am not sorry for one second that we chose Dr. Ortiz. I am so happy they are sitting on the losers bench with me now. I love this journey that we are sharing together. Without the option of surgery out of the US, we would not be doing this together.

God bless you and I wish you all the best. Your mother is just worried about you. She loves you and is honestly scared. Give her a huge hug and tell her you understand her worries and show her the posts in this thread. So many of us have went to Mexico and have all done well since. WLS is more and more common and becoming as familiar as gall bladder surgery. I kept telling myself that daily as we moved closer and closer to my daughters' surgery date! ????. You will be fine and the doc and his team are great!

@@jjinWA - how are your daughters doing, post op? Would love to hear tidbits of their last three weeks :)