Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the OCC

Thanks @@Kindle! Btw, where are your incisions? All above the navel or no?

One tiny incision at the bra line (which I can't even find anymore) and 4 below my belly button. I never realized what a bonus this was until I saw everyone else posting pics on a recent thread with their incision scars all over the middle of their bellies.

post-182221-14202487759234_thumb.jpg

@@Kindle, nice! I can barely make them out! You look awesome!! ????????

I have had nothing but Clear Liquids for 2.5 days and have horrible diarrhea! I am so discouraged because i have lost aby weight either! How the hell is it possible ? Anyone else going on Monday 1/5?

A couple of other tips for heartburn that I have learned. Hot liquids such as hot teas, like chamomile, roobios and green teas go down better than cold drinks for me. I sweeten with a natural zero calorie stevia. People may drink coffee and regular black tea instead, but I figure I'm trying to get healthy, so I stick with herbal caffeine free types. I can drink a lot more ounces of liquid when I drink it warm. Even hot lemon Water is good. It also seems to flush the food through faster once my 45 minutes is up after eating (this is especially helpful to do before bed). Also if I add a bit of lemon to cold water rather than just plain, it feels better. Little quirky things have worked for me. I was told I have scar tissue from reflux that occurred pre sleeve, but prior to surgery I did not take medication for reflux daily. Only on occasion. Now I take omeprazole daily. My husband had terrible refux prior to sleeve surgery and took omeprazole daily. After surgery (7months post op now), he has zero problems with reflux. He no longer takes any reflux medications. Also, I do like to email or call Dr Jiminez, Dr So, or Dr Martinez. I have spoken to Dr Ortiz, but usually one of the other doctors has already responded to me. I think Ortiz maybe is busier? But if I wasn't able to answer my phone I would email. About a week after surgery I had a problem with my IV site and sent pictures and such through email. And I don't remember what address I sent it to but 3 different doctors ended up calling me about it! Each not realizing a different doctor had already called. Anyway, they told me what to do and I was fixed up. Also one night I drank vegetable juice and got super sick (vomiting, diarrhea, dizzy) so I called the on call phone and that doctor told me exactly what to do. That was very helpful. Here in the states they would likely be required to tell me to go to the emergency room because they have to cover their butt. But it was simple. He told me take some Imodium and Gatorade or Pedialyte. I could have gotten dehydrated. He said call back if I needed to and he called me back later to see if I was feeling better. I feel good about the after care and if I have an issue, they will tell me what to do. Another thing is, I know 3 people who have had sleeve surgery in the states, who haven't progressed as well as I have. I know it has to do with how each person chooses to live post op and maybe skill of the doctor is a factor too. But I am so glad I chose Dr Ortiz and not the local surgeon. Good luck everybody.

One thing I noticed today .... When she is eating any kind of creamed Soups, broth, or Protein Drinks (right now that is all she is trying to eat besides water) she will very flushed in the face and neck and will get very warm in that area. Strange. Is that part of the acid reflux syndrome?

Hello Jill Pill,

I am headed but not until 2/18. I recommend going to read this blog. These individual on here have all been to Dr. A Ortiz and have been through it all and have great advice. The whole blog is about 141 pages and I have read it all. I talk to a couple of them through PM, but reading this blog and talking to them have helped me to "feel" okay with making this journey and choosing Dr. A Ortiz. Check it out. btw I did read some place in the blog that what you are going through is normal :-) http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/261806-dr-ariel-ortiz-and-obesity-control-center/page-127

For me the warm flush feeling comes when I am not "tolerating" something. I emailed the nutritionist because I could not tolerate Protein Shakes after the sleeve. All flavors, types, vegan, plain. They all make me flush, feel hot, nauseous. Plain hemp Protein is the only thing I can sometimes tolerate as far as a Protein Shake. I asked her if the flushing and such meant not "tolerating" a food. She said that is correct. So I just had to wait to the purée stage and ate cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, and chicken or turkey to get my protein. Now I will eat turkey and string cheese, a can of tuna, sardines, chicken, or other high protein food. Still can't tolerate protein shakes. My husband on the other hand, has no issues with protein shakes, or sweets. I also can't tolerate candy, cake, brownies. Which is actually a good thing for me, because I won't try to eat it. Vegetable juice does not bother me anymore, nor has any fruit or vegetables.

If everything is making her flush and hot, I would call or email the nutritionist. broth didn't bother me at all. But when I tried to put plain Protein Powder in Soup, I didn't tolerate that. Is she putting Protein powder in things? Also if she doesn't tolerate something now, that's okay, she may tolerate it fine 2 weeks or a month from now.

She has been limiting her food intake to a few sips of creamed Soups or broth, and 2 or 3 ozs of Protein Drink. Tried Apple juice but that did not go down well either. All cause pain in the chest and she gets flushed and hot in the face. Nothing food wise is liking her very much. She has tried mashed potatoes and gravy, and introduced oatmeal this morning ( very soupy with milk). Same reaction but at least she is getting a bit more food in. For those of you that has suffered from this acid reflux thing, does it get better over time? She started nexium today. Zantac did nothing for her. Should she just power through the pain and eat anyway? I am concerned she is not going to recover from this surgery if she does not get in enough nutrition in her body. She has stopped ant Iron supplements some time ago thinking that may be causing issues.

Is she taking the Nexium and Zantac in addition to or instead of the 40mg omeprazole Rx'd by OCC? Has she tried any herbal teas...camomile and peppermint are both soothing to the stomach. Has she tried taking maaloxx or pepto? Any chance she's been tested for H. Pylori?

So sorry she's having to go through this.

I logged in this morning to update my weight and realized I'm only 3 lbs. from having lost 1/3 of the excess weight I need to lose to meet my goal. I got a little teary-eyed at the magnitude of that accomplishment. I struggled for so long pre-surgery to make any weight loss progress, that this seems like a miracle. I know I still have a long way to go, but I actually have real hope that I will be able to reach my goal this year. It's rather wonderfully overwhelming. :)

-------------------------

@@jjinWA - Your daughter might want to keep trying acid controllers with different active ingredients. Different things work for different people and all that. For me, Prilosec (Omeprazole) and Nexium (Esomeprazole) do next to nothing, but Pepcid (Famotidine) works wonders. Prevacid's active ingredient is Lansoprazole. I'd start going down the list of what's out there and see if she can hit on something that works for her. Many of the brands will send sample packs for free if you go to their web sites.

Thankfully, post-op I've only had two acid reflux incidents and I was able to "fix" both with a famotidine tablet. I am still taking the antacid from OCC, as well, each evening.

I am here in tj mariott is beautiful so nice super easy

DID EVERYONE GET THE INCENTIVE SPIROMETER? I TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT GETTING THIS AND WONDER IF ACTUALLY REQUIRED?

Yes! You'll have to buy one there if you don't bring it.

Ok thanks for letting me know I'll get one ordered.. Where did u get urs at