Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the OCC

I went with dr.ortiz and it was amazing! I would highly recommend going! I had surgery on sept.5th and today I am in bed...I have felt great up until today. I am thinking my doc gave me some pain meds that don't agree with me??? I stopped taking them last night. Lots of cramping, nausea and tierd...fever is almost there so I am hoping it's nothing major??

Edited by tannyq

They are great there!! I had the gastric plication by Dr Ortiz and their staff is wonderful. Only wish I had had gastric bypass done though. I lost 100 lbs in my first year but I changed BC and 10 lbs slowly crept back on. I'm in the process now though to get the RNY done! It was definitely a great tool, just didn't help me to where I thought it would. I definitely plan on heading to their plastic surgery center in a couple of years to get everything done. Good luck and enjoy the beautiful hotel! There's an amazing heritage art museum in Tijuana you should check out! And make sure you walk, walk, walk after surgery!

Thanks Jaime and Kindle... :) Welcome VegasOne!

I'm still in shock that I'm getting weight loss surgery. I mean, I've tried every diet, every workout plan, and felt defeated by the weight. Two months from today; I'm in Tijuana, recovering at the Marriott... (Wow!)

Today has been a "grieving" day, like I'm having food funerals... The only actual food I'm mourning is soda pop... The rest of it is eating behaviors...

I've started Protein Shakes for Breakfast and lunch.. (Paired with a cup of puréed soup)... And a small dinner with nothing in between.. Today I've only had one pop, the rest was water...

I figure, if I want to make this a lasting change that I can't "flip a switch" so to speak... So for the next two weeks I'll continue with this plan... Then move onto the official pre surgery diet for six weeks prior to surgery...

I keep reminding myself...

I am stronger than I give myself credit for.... I am meant for AMAZING things... Celebrate the small successes, I didn't get this large overnight and can't expect myself to do a complete 180 overnight either. I am a work in progress. And broken crayons, still color.

I'm pretty certain Dr Ortiz is the surgeon. I didn't ask because I thought he was it. I know he has a team and maybe another surgeon assist.

I'm mourning my soda right now too... I've been eating pretty bad lately that I'm actually looking forward to starting my liquid pre op diet and cutting some pounds before my surgery... I've set the date, made the deposit but it doesn't feel real yet. I don't think it will until I'm in the car heading to San Diego! I keep reading posts and watching you tube videos to soak in all the information I can... I can't wait to have this surgery and start living my new life. I don't want to eat crap and feel like crap any more. I want to live a long healthy life and I know that in order to be the woman I want to be and live the life I want to live, I need to do this.

I hope you pre op plan goes well for you! You are STRONG! We are all stronger than we think we are!!

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum. I'm scheduled for gastric sleeve at Obesity Control Center (OCC) on OCT 01. Like most, I'm full of emotions, little anxious, excited, but determined. Anyone else going at the same time?

As you know VegasOne I will be there the 28th, surgery the 29th and I will stay two nights at hospital due to me having lap band to sleeve revision. So I will be at hotel day of your surgery. We are scheduled to leave on the 3rd. How are you doing so far on the preop diet? My husband is struggling but hanging right in there. He's lost 17 in a week on the phase1 Atkins diet. Next week starts his 2 weeks of liquids. Eeek!! That's going to be rocky two weeks in our household!!

On a different note... Can any of the folks who have been sleeved at OCC give me tips on what is most important to pack etc. We are flying so we are taking as little as possible. But you know, been there done that what would I have done differently. When I was banded in 08 at Del Sol Bariatric in El Paso Tx I flew by myself. My biggest thing was all my personal belongings were locked up in someone's office that had already left for the day and I had none of my things after I woke up and was recovering. I had to call my family collect while higher than a kite on morphine so that took an hour or so to accomplish lol. Does OCC have your personal items in your room at the hospital when you wake up? Also the other thing was I assumed (ya I know) that they would send me home with pain medications. I was actually sent home with a prescription to go fill. I was in no way in any shape to go find a drug store so I left the hospital and stayed the night at a hotel thinking I'll be ok. Nope! Pain meds wore off and boom it was on. So I spent the night and next day in pain just wanting to get home to my family so I could recover. I could have gone to the hospital etc but I had a flight to catch and no extra money to delay the flight so I sucked it up. Beings my hubby and I will both be having surgery at the same time I'm afraid we will find ourselves in that same position if we don't prepare properly. Sorry for being so long winded on this topic, but I would greatly appreciate any input. ????

Then move onto the official pre surgery diet for six weeks prior to surgery...

I hope you are referring to the Atkins-style diet the Nutritionist recommends and not the stricter 3 Protein Shakes per day diet you have to do for the last 15 days. If you try to stretch that out to 6 weeks you will die. And I'm not exaggerating. You will literally die. It's only about 450 calories per day and you are expected to still continue your exercise, continue going to work, and you still have 100% of your stomach.

On a different note... Can any of the folks who have been sleeved at OCC give me tips on what is most important to pack etc. We are flying so we are taking as little as possible. But you know, been there done that what would I have done differently. When I was banded in 08 at Del Sol Bariatric in El Paso Tx I flew by myself. My biggest thing was all my personal belongings were locked up in someone's office that had already left for the day and I had none of my things after I woke up and was recovering. I had to call my family collect while higher than a kite on morphine so that took an hour or so to accomplish lol. Does OCC have your personal items in your room at the hospital when you wake up? Also the other thing was I assumed (ya I know) that they would send me home with pain medications. I was actually sent home with a prescription to go fill. I was in no way in any shape to go find a drug store so I left the hospital and stayed the night at a hotel thinking I'll be ok. Nope! Pain meds wore off and boom it was on. So I spent the night and next day in pain just wanting to get home to my family so I could recover. I could have gone to the hospital etc but I had a flight to catch and no extra money to delay the flight so I sucked it up. Beings my hubby and I will both be having surgery at the same time I'm afraid we will find ourselves in that same position if we don't prepare properly. Sorry for being so long winded on this topic, but I would greatly appreciate any input. ????

I was banded by Dr Ortiz March 2010, then did a revision to sleeve November 2013. My husband got his sleeve 6 months later in May 2014. They did give us all our prescriptions (bottles, not papers to go fill) the morning we left OCC. No need to stop to get them. I wished I would have brought liquid Tylenol. I ended up buying some at a small "farmacia" near the Mariott a day or 2 later, but the directions were in Spanish, so it was somewhat a guess how much to take. The pain really wasn't too bad, I had the gas pain, which I thought the Tylenol worked better on than the prescription. But the instant my drain was removed, I felt so much better!!! I would also take a couple tubes of gatorade powder, and chicken bouillon powder.

Also to anyone reading these posts, GO FOR IT! NOW THOUGH, DON'T WAIT! (I was not having medical issues with my band, just wasn't losing weight, and didn't have good follow up care once I moved from New Orleans to Texas.) I started researching the sleeve, then called OCC and set my date for 2 weeks later and started my pre op immediately. I don't do anticipation well. I just jump in. I did pre op for the band, so I knew what to expect. Also, there is no need to start early with the severe pre op diet. You will lose the weight on it for just 2 weeks. Three months after my sleeve, I ended up having my thyroid out, went severely hypothyroid for 4 weeks, still lost weight. By five months out and happy with my size at this point, although still 18 lbs from goal, my husband says he's tired of being overweight and wants to get the surgery! What?!?!? He wad supportive of it for me but said he would never do anything like that. So we scheduled him for 3 weeks later, some financial things came up, we debated, and decided, let's do it anyway so you can be on your way to goal NOW, rather than 6 months from now. So we went back to OCC, with liquid Tylenol in hand this time! Also this time I got pics with Dr Ortiz (he's a ham for pics). I never thought to do that either time I was there before. So less than a year later, I am maintaining goal weight, my husband is down 60 lbs since May and is happy with his size, although, he will be happier when he gets to his goal. But we are free from food. And free from so many pounds! Omg, and when I got on that plane after 6 months to head back for my hubbies surgery, I had so much more room in the stupid airplane seat!! That was great! But we are looking forward to going on another cruise and being able to do some of the things we couldn't do before because of weight restrictions. Like horseback riding and zip lining. So like I said, JUST GO FOR IT! The longer you WAIT, the longer you will carry the WEIGHT! :)

Oh, I forgot: I left my things in my room. My husband was in there though, so it wasn't an issue. But I did leave my bag, which had an iphone and iPad unattended in there throughout the night for bathroom trips. If I had been alone, I still would have felt fine leaving my bag in my room.

Does OCC have your personal items in your room at the hospital when you wake up? Also the other thing was I assumed (ya I know) that they would send me home with pain medications. I was actually sent home with a prescription to go fill. I was in no way in any shape to go find a drug store so I left the hospital and stayed the night at a hotel thinking I'll be ok. Nope! Pain meds wore off and boom it was on. So I spent the night and next day in pain just wanting to get home to my family so I could recover. I could have gone to the hospital etc but I had a flight to catch and no extra money to delay the flight so I sucked it up. Beings my hubby and I will both be having surgery at the same time I'm afraid we will find ourselves in that same position if we don't prepare properly. Sorry for being so long winded on this topic, but I would greatly appreciate any input.

I was just at OCC last week, so this is the latest info. I traveled alone and left all my possessions in my room with no worries at all. The access to the area where patients' rooms are is secured by a keypad and the office manager assured me they have security cameras throughout the facility. I had over $100 cash, my wallet, my tablet, a laptop, a cell phone, etc. in my bags and nothing was touched. No worries at all.

Also, I got all of my medication handed to me in a plastic bag, along with all the instructions about what each medication was for, how much to take, and when to take it. There was an antibiotic, a pain killer, an anti-nausea pill, and antacid. I didn't have a need for any other over-the-counter medication while I was there, aside for some Gas-X strips (not sure if they actually helped at all).

As for packing, bring the hard copy of your pre-op survey, your passport, some cash (not much), your cashier's check (if you didn't pay with credit card), all your electronics and chargers, any medication you've been instructed to continue taking, Gas-X strips, your spirometer, toothpaste/toothbrush, deodorant, any other toiletries (hotel has soap, Shampoo, conditioner, and lotion), comb/brush, hair ties, comfortable underwear, socks, and clothes. I just brought a couple pairs of yoga pants and some t-shirts, plus the jeans I was wearing to travel. Pack as lightly as possible. It will make going through various security checkpoints easier and it will make it easier to get through the airport and loaded onto the plane.

Edited by JamieLogical

Thank you for your posts with tips for travel. It really helps us newbies! I'm getting sleeved October 6th at OCC!! My birthday is at the end of September so I know I will be having a couple birthday meals while on my liquid diet but I planning to be as diligent as possible but we will see how it goes... I'm looking forward more to the surgery then my birthday! Lol I'm just excited to live my new life!

Edited by newbiesleever

I hope you are referring to the Atkins-style diet the Nutritionist recommends....

Yes, the Atkins style diet... :)

Even though it's tempting to want to attempt 3 shakes and a salad... I'm so worried I won't lose enough pre op...

They want me down 46 lbs, and I have a weight related foot injury that has me in a cast...

Any suggestions on working out?

Thanks!

Couple of questions for those who have already had surgery:

1) How long until you returned to work? I have an office job that is not too tough physically and I was wondering if I will be able?

2) If you have someone with you, are they required to return to the hotel the night of surgery or will they be permitted to stay if they wish?

Thanks!