Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the OCC

First of all, don't sweat about the 8 pounds. Unless you ate 28,000 calories above and beyond your body's requirement in 4 days, those 8 pounds are not fat. I don't think I could have eaten that much even before surgery! Maybe your slight change in diet over the weekend contained more sodium? Heck, just sitting in a car for 2 days will cause you to retain fluids. My ankles swell like crazy when I'm sitting down a lot. As for my stalls, at 6 weeks I gained 3 pounds out of the blue and then stayed there for a month. I didn't worry too much about it because I was too busy dealing with severe Clostridial diarrhea and the meds they had me on made me nauseous. I was praying to the " bodily function gods" that I would be happy to never lose another pound if the diarrhea and nausea would just go away. As soon as I switched antibiotics I was able to drink and eat more and the stall ended. I had another 2 week stall at 5 1/2 months out, but again, I didn't worry about it and. I didn't do anything different. It just ended on it's own. Just hang in there. Keep following the Protein first/no refined carbs rule, drink at least 64oz Water and take your Vitamins. If what you are doing isn't working, it's time to try something else. Maybe try upping your calories in the form of real food protein rather than reverting back to liquids. Eat different things than you have been. Give your body something else to process. shake things up with variety. More veggies? More Fiber? More fruit? Sorry about your accident. Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks, kindle! Super helpful! I didn't do any Protein Shakes today, I did all protein from food. Gonna try to lay off the protein shakes for a little bit and im getting back to doing my meal prep too. I've increased my fruits and veggies and fiber as well, my thinking was right in line with your suggestions.

Did you fly? I always gain at least 5 pounds of Water weight just from the couple of hours on the plane. I wouldn't be surprised if driving did the same thing. I'll bet that in a week the scale will go back down. Hugs. Shellie

Hi everyone! I'm still working my way through this whole thread (up to page 83!), but I decided to go ahead and post, because I feel like maybe I made a decision today that I really am going to do this and NOW the stress just switched right on!

I didn't want my decision to be based on cost, because I wanted to decide whether or not to have the surgery for the RIGHT reasons, but I feel like now that I think I've decided I really am going to do it, I've immediately started to stress about money. OCC is definitely not the cheapest option. When I first started considering gastric sleeve, I contacted my former plastic surgeon in Tijuana (had some plastics done after I lost 90 pounds back in 2011, but I've put the weight back on now) and she recommended a surgeon that offers a package for $5500. In fact, she and her patient coordinator both got sleeved by him in 2012. So it's very tempting to go with him because of the lower price tag and the fact that I put a LOT of faith in my plastic surgeon's opinion. I adore her!

But reading this thread and researching the media coverage, credentials, and patient reviews for OCC, it's kind of overwhelmingly evident that I can't go wrong with OCC. Plus the doctor my plastic surgeon recommended doesn't speak English, so I would be HEAVILY reliant on the patient coordinator for translation.

So I guess right now I'm leaning toward OCC, despite the $1000 higher price tag. You'd think deciding to have the surgery at all would have been the hard part, but really it's just opened up a whole host of new decisions to be made!

Hi Sweetums! Sitting in the San Diego airport waiting to board my flight home. All is well. The worst part has been the gas and sore throat. I just can't wait till life goes back to normal. Thanks for all the prayers.

Hi Sweetums! Sitting in the San Diego airport waiting to board my flight home. All is well. The worst part has been the gas and sore throat. I just can't wait till life goes back to normal. Thanks for all the prayers.

Did you make it home ok? I forgot about the sore throat! lol

I'm still researching Dr's and what type of WLS and on another board, several of Dr. Ortiz's patients complained about him charging them an extra $1000 for hernia removal. One lady posted that every one in their group had been told they had hernias and all were charged extra.

Did any of you have this happen?

I'm still researching Dr's and what type of WLS and on another board, several of Dr. Ortiz's patients complained about him charging them an extra $1000 for hernia removal. One lady posted that every one in their group had been told they had hernias and all were charged extra.

Did any of you have this happen?

I remember reading that post, too. Are you sure they were talking about Dr. Ariel Ortiz and not Dr. Elias Ortiz? I had VSG at OCC in December (Ariel Ortiz) and he did not charge anything extra for hernia repair. You could confirm if there is a charge by asking Lori or Carolyn at OCC. I emailed and called them (mostly Carolyn) several times/week before scheduling my surgery and they were always very helpful.

Edited by Kindle

I'm hoping to pay my deposit and set my date today! I had some great long talks with my husband about the whole thing this weekend and, while he still seems quite apprehensive, he is supportive. His main concerns are the money and the amount of change to our lives. I really can't blame him for either of those concerns. It really is a lot of money and it means taking on more debt, which we'd been working on paying down. In the grand scheme of things it will be well worth it, obviously, but it's hard not to think about the immediate financial impact.

As to the change to our lives, it will obviously be drastic. Just the simple fact that we won't be able to eat the same things for dinner for several months will be a challenge for him. He's the cook in the family and he already struggles to only cook for two. Now he'll be cooking for one for a looong time. Also, he knows how much I love to eat and what a big part of my life it's been. He knows that I turn to food in emotional situations (both happy and sad). And I think he's actually sad for me that I'm going to be losing something that makes me happy, even if it really is something that's bad for me.

This is going to be a tough journey for BOTH of us. So I can definitely sympathize with his apprehension. But, I am glad he is willing to support me in whatever I decide.

I had surgery with Dr Ariel Ortiz last week and he told my parents I did not have any hernias and I was not charged any extra for anything. Nor was anyone else that was there that day. He's the best.

It's official! I'm scheduled for surgery on Sept. 1! I paid my deposit and scheduled my flights last night. Today, I found out that I need a passport or passport card to get INTO Mexico though. What the heck?!?! My enhanced driver's license is fine for getting me back into the US, but it's not good enough for getting me into Mexico? Apparently this is a very recent change, as I was in Mexico in August 2011 and had no issues using my enhanced license then.

So now I have to get a passport card in a HURRY, which means paying $60 for expedited processing. Ugh! There's anoterh $125 total expense I wasn't prepared for. At least I'll have it if I go back to Mexico for follow-up care of for any sort of plastics once I've lost the weight, I guess.

In happier news, I told my parents about the surgery last night and their reaction shocked me. I had been dreading telling them, but knew I couldn't wait any longer once I had an official date. To my amazement, they were genuinely THRILLED for me! The are so happy and excited. In hind sight, I don't see what I was so worried about. My parents have known me my entire life and they've seen the way I've struggled with my weight since middle school. The also know how thorough I am about researching and weighing all the pros and cons before making any decision. So of course they would support me 100%! I don't know why I thought it could possibly have gone any differently. Have I mentioned I have the best parents in the world?

There was one person in my group who required a hernia repair, and the repair was free. There were NO extra fees except for our prescription medications, which we were told about before hand.

I just wanted to say that I had a VSG in July with Dr. Elias Ortiz.  It was great!  I felt very comfortable with all staff and doctors.  I was taken very well care of medically and personally!

I am looking to see if anyone is interested in booking their surgery with A Lighter Me and Dr. Ortiz in TJ Mexico in September so we could meet up at the hotel and won't be alone the whole time. I am looking to book anywhere from September 12 through September 26. I am leaning towards September 17 or 18. Is anyone considering those dates and would like to meet at the hotel so we will navigate this trip together or sort of? Please let me know...thanks!

I'm doing mine October 27, 2014 with him. I might change it to the 15 of September, will let you know.. Good luck, please keep in touch.

I'm doing mine October 27, 2014 with him. I might change it to the 15 of September, will let you know.. Good luck, please keep in touch.

Hi, Cody ' s mom! I am waiting to hear back from ALM to ask questions but I am planning on booking my date this coming Monday for September 18. That would be surgery on Thursday and home by Sunday. Would love to have someone to talk to and shop with while in Mexico.