Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the OCC

Holy Crap..... This freaks me out too...... I am glad that your healing and happy but the experience seems like it sucked!! I will be there in 2 weeks with ALM and this has my defenses up!

I had my surgery on April 25th, with Dr. Ortiz.  My surgery went well, but I almost canceled the day of my surgery.  When I first arrived we were picked up by somebody who wasn't a regular driver ( I was told he was being fired later on)  He drove us to the hospital to get pro-op which I was told that would happen the day of surgery so I go excited that this is moving along only to be told once we were at the hospital nevermind come back tomorrow.  :-(  Strike ONE

When I got to our hotel I was told all the rooms with two beds are full I will need to share a bed with my companion thank goodness my cousin was with me.  Strike TWO

Tip:  I was never told to stay in my room because they might call us to go to pre op.  My mistake I went downstairs to enjoy the broth and missed my call for pre op.

Day of surgery:  Picked me up on time, drove me to the hospital and this is where I almost quit.  not only was the hotel booked so was the hospital.  The payment includes hotel and your OWN hospital room that is a lie.  I almost walked out when I was told I was going to share a room with a stranger especially the first night.  They offered me $100 refund which I never received. Strike THREE

I should have gone with my gut and waited at least until the next day.

The first night is the hardest they want you walking around, but I barely could get out the door since the other patients bed was blocking it from opening.  They put my cousin in a recliner in the middle so I had no place to put the ice chips (chunks)  It was horrible.  The nurse they sent at night spent the whole time crying over breaking up with her boyfriend and ignoring the patients.

When I was released they sent me back to the hotel  to be told my room wouldn't be ready for 3 to 4 hours unless I paid for an upgrade at that point I feel the coordinator should have stepped in and taken care of it but they didn't.  I decided to upgrade since I was still in pajamas and after 10 minutes in the room I wanted to leave.  I was told if I wanted to leave I had to leave, "right now" so I got in a van with 10 others who were also leaving early because of the lack of care they received.  One person told me the driver left them at Walmart for over 2 hours. I was lucky enough I only came from California the rest paid for hotel rooms in San Diego until there flights the next day.

I do believe in the surgery, but I can't not say I would recommend A Lighter Me.  

If you decide to use A Lighter Me.  Be sure to ask if all the doctors will be performing surgery on the same day....From what they told me each company is scheduled certain days, but the week of my date all doctors were doing surgeries.

Also, no matter the hard time I had I'm still happy with the weight loss and the incisions

Good Luck!! 

Flaxfilly,

Don't let this freak you out.

I talked to Janese yesterday in detail about this.

She explained everything to me she did not minimize what happened but did explain it.

If you have concerns I advise you to call her.

I am more excited than ever to go, I trust a lighter me, Janese, Dr. Ortez and the staff.

I have complete peace about the whole situation and my surgery.

Edited by mrsbshe

I didn't want to freak anyone out.  I just wanted to give you a heads up of what could happen if it is overcrowded.  I'm glad Janese was able to ease your concerns.  I guess I would have a different view of ALM if Janese was able to fix the situation, but she did not nor has she tried to make it right since.

I 100% believe it was bad timing that all doctors were scheduled for surgeries on the same day and if the coordinators would have done their homework they should have known and remedied the situation.

On a good note:  I'm am over six weeks out and I feel great.  The surgery went flawlessly and my incisions are all healed.   Getting ready for my first trip to the lake.

Good Luck with your surgery.   

I'm not worried any more after talking to Janese.

I am so glad to hear you are doing well. At least your surgery was a success and you are healing nicely.

I'm hoping for the same in two weeks.

Please keep us updated on your recovery.

Hey guys,

So I am doing fantastic.... I am down 78lbs. I do a 5k at least 2-3 times a month, I'm working on improving my speed right now! Since I bought my fitbit in January about a month before surgery, I've walked 500 miles! Crazy how active I am now, and I love it. I used to hate exercising outside because I didn't want people to see me...now I hate being in the gym! I love being outdoors. I have been experiencing the crazy Hair loss. I knew it was gonna happen, so I've accepted it....but I don't like it! lol

Anyway, so my real reason for posting today. i was never a big soda drinker before surgery, once it a while when I went out I would have a soda. I've been drinking tea, Water, crystal light and Protein Shakes since surgery. I haven't had any alcohol since July 2013, and I don't plan on starting that up again. But I have to say...I am DYING for a diet coke lately!

So I'm not really clear on why they said no soda - is it because it can open up the cravings and addictions? Or is it because it can actually harm your stomach? Has anyone had a soda or a few sips here or there?

Also one more question, how is your follow-up and with the OCC? Are used to get emails every week asking me about my weight loss and any health problems and they stopped a couple weeks ago… I'm about 3-4 months out.

The no soda is because of the carbonation. The bubbles are not good for our sleeves....can even cause stretching from what I've read. I tried sipping some sprite once and tasted a new hard cider once (which I used to love) but the fizz was definitely a no go for me.

As for the OCC surveys, mine stopped after awhile, too. I think it's part of their Center of Excellence requirements, and if there's no documented problems, they only have to followup for a certain period of time. Maybe the veterans can add more info as to whether or not there is contact further out. But if you do have issues and indicate it on your survey, which I did when I developed bad diarrhea 6 weeks out, they followed up with an email and phone call.

Just got home from shopping. I got all of my post op foods and drinks for the next 3 weeks.

My surgeries in less than two weeks in Tijuana Mexico with Dr. Elias Ortiz... It seems quite real now that my cupboards are stocked was after surgery essentials and everything I'm packing for my journey is ready to go.

Just got home from shopping. I got all of my post op foods and drinks for the next 3 weeks.<br><br> My surgeries in less than two weeks in Tijuana Mexico with Dr. Elias Ortiz... It seems quite real now that my cupboards are stocked was after surgery essentials and everything I'm packing for my journey is ready to go.

When is your surgery? I am scheduled for June 28th! Getting really real!! Started my Pre opp diet! Grrrrrrrr! I hope we can follow each other?

1. You won't go wrong with Dr. Illan. I was sleeved 8/31/13 and down 136lbs. After you leave the hospital it turns into a mini vacation. Easiest surgery I've ever had. Gas first day is rough but after that you would never know I had surgery :) He is such a talented surgeon.

Sherry, glad I'm not the only one that considered going to Mexico for surgery a vacation. :). My sister met me down there and we had a lot of fun! And what's not to like about getting out of cold, snowy Idaho in December?

I had my surgery Dec 4 2013 With Dr E Ortiz with A lighter me. I did alot of reserch and they where the right team for me!!! I am down 70 pounds and feel great no problems at all. 15 pounds to go till I reach my goal. This  as been the best change of life stye I could have made. I went by myself and felt safe at all times. Marriott was nice and hospital was small, with very good care. I wished I had done this years ago.

I'm glad I ran across this thread....I had lapband 3 years ago, been dealing with a slipped band for about a year, have gained 25 lbs back.  I am devestated.  My doc wants me to revise to a sleeve, but I am self pay.  We are not rich people and it was a HUGE sacrafice for me to come up with the money for LapBand, no way I can come up with another 14K and be able to look myself in the eye, not when my husband works so hard, we have 2 little boys to take care/plan for.  I am beginning to think a conversion to a sleeve in Mexico might be a real alternative for me.....  but a little scary and still expsenive.  Thanks for all the info and comments. 

First let me say that I have only heard wonderful things about Dr Elias Ortiz and alighterme. I belong to bariatric surgery in Mexico on fb as well, again, only positive things.

I just found some YouTube videos with a US Dr that are very informative; you might like to take a look a them...then come to Mexico for your surgery...

Dr Matthew Weiner on YouTube. I have learned so much about ALL Bariatric surgery from his videos.

Good luck in your decision.

Edited by mrsbshe