Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the OCC

<p>Random question...but does anyone know how many surgeries Dr. Ortiz has done? I'm sure the info on his website is not the current number.</p> <p> </p> <p>Thanks.</p>

I was told he does ten a day and has been doing them for three years:) mine is scheduled for June 28th !

I have done a lot of research and have only found good things about dr. Ortez. I'm looking forward to meeting him in 3 weeks.

When is your surgery day? Mine is the 28th of June!

Random question...but does anyone know how many surgeries Dr. Ortiz has done? I'm sure the info on his website is not the current number.

Thanks.

I was told he does ten a day and has been doing them for three years:) mine is scheduled for June 28th !
I'm not sure who would have told you that he does ten per day. I am friends with Janese, his sales coordinator, and she told me he limits himself to 4-5 per day. I wouldn't get hung up on how many he has done. Trust me, he has done lots and is very qualified. He used to work for Dr Lopez and performed many of Dr Lopez's surgeries and Dr Ortiz did not receive credit for them, Dr Lopez counted them as if he had done them. Bottom line, Dr Ortiz will do a great job for you and will not rip you off. He actually cares about his patients and doing quality work.

Random question...but does anyone know how many surgeries Dr. Ortiz has done? I'm sure the info on his website is not the current number.

Thanks.

I'm not sure who would have told you that he does ten per day. I am friends with Janese, his sales coordinator, and she told me he limits himself to 4-5 per day. I wouldn't get hung up on how many he has done. Trust me, he has done lots and is very qualified. He used to work for Dr Lopez and performed many of Dr Lopez's surgeries and Dr Ortiz did not receive credit for them, Dr Lopez counted them as if he had done them. Bottom line, Dr Ortiz will do a great job for you and will not rip you off. He actually cares about his patients and doing quality work.
I am sure you are right!! Can't wait!!!

3 weeks from today sleeve here I come. Pretty excited just got all my post op instructions from Rhonda with a lighter me.

What is your date?? I am the 28th.

The reason why I'm asking is because I'm comparing him to another surgeon, and of course more years of experience is what I'm looking for, specifically in GSV.  

Thanks for the feedback everyone! 

The reason why I'm asking is because I'm comparing him to another surgeon, and of course more years of experience is what I'm looking for, specifically in GSV. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I understand that. I wouldn't base your decision on who has been doing them longest though. Make sure they are honest too. I know of specifics about experienced surgeons there and how they have ripped off patients. One woman I met went there for a band revision to sleeve. The surgeon only removed her band and led her to believe she had a sleeve too. Dr Ortiz "fixed" her by performing her sleeve surgery and documented things to assist with her lawsuit against the other group/surgeon who cheated her. Others up-charge for hernia repairs that were not really done. It's very sad but we are vulnerable there as patients. I can testify to Dr Ortiz' integrity. My best to you with your decision and surgery.

The reason why I'm asking is because I'm comparing him to another surgeon, and of course more years of experience is what I'm looking for, specifically in GSV. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I understand that. I wouldn't base your decision on who has been doing them longest though. Make sure they are honest too. I know of specifics about experienced surgeons there and how they have ripped off patients. One woman I met went there for a band revision to sleeve. The surgeon only removed her band and led her to believe she had a sleeve too. Dr Ortiz "fixed" her by performing her sleeve surgery and documented things to assist with her lawsuit against the other group/surgeon who cheated her. Others up-charge for hernia repairs that were not really done. It's very sad but we are vulnerable there as patients. I can testify to Dr Ortiz' integrity. My best to you with your decision and surgery.

Oh absolutely! Sorry, I didn't write in detail that I'm looking at everything.  Been reading forums, joined FB groups, etc.  It's basically between 2 surgeons and I'm not sure which one to choose.

Wow, that's crazy! It's sad how we have no idea.

Sadly, this sort of stuff happens in other countries, including the US, as well, Self-pay patients tend to be more vulnerable due to the missing 'checks and balances' that are ever present in health insurance plans and even with insurance it can and does happen.

I choose Dr. Ortiz for many of the reasons you have stated. While plication is still an investigational procedure, I like the preliminary studies I have read. I noticed that some people take about the gerhilin? sp. receptors remaining in the stomach with the plication, but not with the VSG. My only thought on that is, I honestly can not remember the last time I was hungry. That is why I am fat... LOL. I am going down in July. I cant wait!

I have enjoyed reading all the information on this site. I am also going down to see Dr. Ortiz in July for a gastric plication. Maybe I will see you there. Would like to compare notes with you.

I had my surgery on April 25th, with Dr. Ortiz.  My surgery went well, but I almost canceled the day of my surgery.  When I first arrived we were picked up by somebody who wasn't a regular driver ( I was told he was being fired later on)  He drove us to the hospital to get pro-op which I was told that would happen the day of surgery so I go excited that this is moving along only to be told once we were at the hospital nevermind come back tomorrow.  :-(  Strike ONE

When I got to our hotel I was told all the rooms with two beds are full I will need to share a bed with my companion thank goodness my cousin was with me.  Strike TWO

Tip:  I was never told to stay in my room because they might call us to go to pre op.  My mistake I went downstairs to enjoy the broth and missed my call for pre op.

Day of surgery:  Picked me up on time, drove me to the hospital and this is where I almost quit.  not only was the hotel booked so was the hospital.  The payment includes hotel and your OWN hospital room that is a lie.  I almost walked out when I was told I was going to share a room with a stranger especially the first night.  They offered me $100 refund which I never received. Strike THREE

I should have gone with my gut and waited at least until the next day.

The first night is the hardest they want you walking around, but I barely could get out the door since the other patients bed was blocking it from opening.  They put my cousin in a recliner in the middle so I had no place to put the ice chips (chunks)  It was horrible.  The nurse they sent at night spent the whole time crying over breaking up with her boyfriend and ignoring the patients.

When I was released they sent me back to the hotel  to be told my room wouldn't be ready for 3 to 4 hours unless I paid for an upgrade at that point I feel the coordinator should have stepped in and taken care of it but they didn't.  I decided to upgrade since I was still in pajamas and after 10 minutes in the room I wanted to leave.  I was told if I wanted to leave I had to leave, "right now" so I got in a van with 10 others who were also leaving early because of the lack of care they received.  One person told me the driver left them at Walmart for over 2 hours. I was lucky enough I only came from California the rest paid for hotel rooms in San Diego until there flights the next day.

I do believe in the surgery, but I can't not say I would recommend A Lighter Me.  

If you decide to use A Lighter Me.  Be sure to ask if all the doctors will be performing surgery on the same day....From what they told me each company is scheduled certain days, but the week of my date all doctors were doing surgeries.

Also, no matter the hard time I had I'm still happy with the weight loss and the incisions

Good Luck!! 

Drsertsleever, I'm so sorry to hear about your experience with a lighter me. I go see Dr Ortez in 19 days and now I'm a little freaked out.

I don't want it to be a bad experience because my boyfriend is accompanying me and I plan on going to Mexico for other surgeries for example Tummy Tuck etc.

If we have a bad experience I don't think he will be willing to go with me for other surgeries.

I appreciate your post, thank you for sharing, we all need to hear the good and the bad experiences. I hope you're healing well and that at least the surgery was good.

Wow. That's just awful. I am so sorry to hear it went that way for you. I do not believe that is typical, though. I have heard some complaints about the hotel, but my experience was completely positive. I have not previously heard anything like that about the hospital. All the nurses and staff were very professional when I was there and there were adequate rooms available for the patients and their guests.

I just had a long conversation with Janese, she put my mind at ease regarding every issue I had.

She takes it personal when when someone has a bad experience in Mexico while getting their sleeve.

I have the utmost confidence in Dr Ortez and a lighter me... Looking forward to my surgery On June 29th.

Everybody just needs to do their research and be comfortable with their doctor and the company they go with. Unfortunately sometimes things don't go as smoothly as we hoped for, but, the most important thing for all of us is that we get our sleeve and we leave Mexico healthy and start the next part of our journey.

I appreciate everybody posting their experience on this forum and on this thread specifically it has helped me immensely so thank you for sharing.