Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the OCC

I have some questions I've been wondering about. Is a Protein Drink considered "drinking" or "eating"? What about Greek Yogurt? How long do you wait to drink before and after meals? Did anyone have Hair loss? I didn't think I would have a problem with it but it has started. I am 3 1/2 months out, just 4 days after Covatila84. I got to meet her as she was getting her drain out and I was going in for my surgery. Covatila84 you are doing Fantastic!!! Can anyone give me any examples of some daily menu's to see how you get ALL of your Protein and Water in, in a day???? Please and Thank you!!!

If it's liquid, I consider it drinking, but if you are tracking stuff (which I don't) you of course have to count the calories, protein, carbs, etc. OCC's instructions say no drinking 5 min before or 45 min after a meal. This is different than the standard 1/2 hour before or after I think because the liquid we drink is out of our sleeve in 5 minutes or less, so why wait the 1/2 hour. Also, the food stays in longer than 1/2 hour, so why wash it down sooner than later? As for me, I wait a minimum of 45 min or until I don't feel the food in my tummy anymore, which could be 1-2 hours depending on what I ate.

As for what I eat, it's pretty much anything. Obviously protein first. Weekend breakfasts will be an omelet or something with eggs or a protein pancake with turkey sausage. I use premier chocolate or vanilla as Creamer in my coffee. Workdays Breakfast is often a Protein Shake. I don't get a lunch break, so I'm pretty much snacking on nuts or cheese or a GNC lean bar or something every 3 hours. Also drink water all day in between the Snacks. dinner is any kind of meat and a veggie. Usually have dessert a couple hours later of Greek Yogurt or cottage cheese and peaches. I eat plain Greek yogurt flavored with Protein Powder. On weekends I tend to eat more ( like 5 mini meals) and drink less.

I eat chicken, tuna, seafood, ham, pork, ribs, burger, cheese, yogurt, edamame, mixed nuts, veggies, fruit, eggs and even an occasional dessert or glass of wine. But I couldn't get my protein and fluids in without Protein Shakes. I have a "super shake" everyday consisting of 24-32oz and 40g protein and drink it over several hours. Premier Protein chocolate with skim milk, banana and ice is a favorite. Also like Garden of Life Raw Protein. Starting to drink more Syntrax Nectar because the fruity flavors are refreshing now that it's summer. Mix 1 1/2 scoops with 28oz water and 4 oz fruit juice (the fruit juice helps mask the artificial sweetener taste I now can't stand)

I was a lot better about my Vitamins earlier on, now I'm taking them 75% of the time. At 5 1/2 months out I 've had no hairloss. Never took any special supplements, but I have always gotten my protein in at least after the 1st week postop. Sorry I can't be more specific on numbers, but I don't count or measure or track anything....besides the protein drink. I just eat when I'm hungry until I'm satisfied, not full. Good luck to you

Edited by Kindle

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie here and have been doing tons of research and have narrowed my choices down to these 2 surgeons.  I'm still indecisive about which one to go with.  I've read forums, blogs, etc. and still can't decide.  

Can anyone help by giving feedback on either of these surgeons?  I've read the long post on Dr. Ortiz...but still am not sure.  I'm worried about complications because I'm diabetic as well (type 1).

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi blues

I just picked a surgeon a few days ago after researching a lot. I picked Dr. Illan. I didn't really research Dr. Ortiz at the OCC that much because he is out of my budget (6,500 vs 4,600). I was hoping to find someone in the 4,500 range and if needed then go up. I think both surgeons are excellent.

The OCC is a 'center of excellence' which is a good designation. Also, he has appeared on shows like Oprah and the cover of Newsweek (off the top of my head but I need to double check these). The only complaints I have seen about him are doing a lot of surgeries in a day, and hard to reach for follow up questions. There is nothing bad about his skill that I have seen.

Dr. Illan is also an excellent surgeon (in my opinion). He is the chief of ER/trauma surgery at a large regional hospital. He only does 3 or 4 surgeries a day (and does not go into the ER on those days). He graduated in the top of his class with honors from the top university in the spanish speaking world. He has a thriving Facebook community to ask questions pre and post op. He uses Johnson and Johnson and covidian (i think is the name) staples. He closes with the 3 staples on each side line (as does everyone I think) plus sews a line behind the staple line, and then coats with glue. His coordinator is supposed to be amazing and takes you for a bit of sightseeing and shopping post surgery (I guess day 4). You spend 1 night pre op at the hospital, 2 nights in the hospital and 2 nights hotel lucerna. The hospital is fully equipped and has an ICU. I am putting so many details about Dr. Illan because I know these details off the top of my head.

In my opinion, both are excellent surgeons and in this case it comes down to price for me.

Edited by Travelmego

Travelmego has definitely done a lot of research on this subject, so she will have good advice.

As you know, I did have my surgery at OCC and couldn't be happier. Not sure where you read Dr. Ariel Ortiz does a lot of surgeries in a day. There is another Dr. Ortiz (Elias) that maybe you have mixed up. OCC does no more than 5 surgeries/day. They only have 6 patient rooms and they keep one room available in case someone has to stay an extra night. They also only do surgeries 4 days a week and Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez do every surgery together, so you have an extra pair of eyes/hands on you throughout the procedure. Dr. Jimenez is the cardiologist and will do all your preop work. Dr. So is the followup doctor and he will perform your barium fluoroscopy and pull your drain. I've had great followup communication from both Dr. Martinez and Dr. So. Dr. Ortiz's reputation and skills first attracted me to OCC, but I felt especially good knowing there was an entire team of specialized doctors, RNs, and support staff that would be taking care of me.

Good luck with your decision. It can get very overwhelming sorting through all the info, but in the end, you should go with who feels right for you.

Edited by Kindle

Thank you for the clarification Kindle. My information on how many surgeries he (and Dr. Lopez which I mentioned elsewhere) is based on hearsay on the forums, and NOT from the horses mouth. So definitely go by what the place itself says. You reminded me about some information to add about Dr. Illan - he also has 2 other surgeons in the OR room. I am actually not sure about the cardio and post op. I will have to ask about that. I think the OCC does it all in house and I have heard that for the last leak test on the day of discharge from the hospital for Dr. Illan we go to the nearby large Angeles hospital. That's not quite as convenient but not an overly big deal.

Edited by Travelmego

Going to the Angeles hospital is not inconvenient because you are essentially sprung from the hospital at that time and on your way to a restaurant to get some broth.< /p>

I was told Dr. Illan does no more than 3 a day. But when I was there, there were only one or two a day.

3 weeks from today sleeve here I come. Pretty excited just got all my post op instructions from Rhonda with a lighter me.

It's official, am booked with Dr. Ortiz on 4 September. Now, let the anxiety commence! (And it will, regardless of the fact that I am comfortable and confident in my choice.) Anyone else out there who will be booking about the same time, please send me a message. I'll be going solo so a sleeve buddy would be awesome.

Random question...but does anyone know how many surgeries Dr. Ortiz has done?  I'm sure the info on his website is not the current number.

Thanks.

I was told well over 2,000. He does 3-5 day for a few years. You can ask Janese from alighterme, she is very helpful.

I was told the same, over 2,000. From everything I can find online he appears competent as well as caring.

I have done a lot of research and have only found good things about dr. Ortez. I'm looking forward to meeting him in 3 weeks.

I have done a lot of research and have only found good things about dr. Ortez. I'm looking forward to meeting him in 3 weeks.

A Lighter Me is AWESOME!  Had mine done with Dr. Ortiz on 5/24/14.  Had very little issues with language from the entire staff from Drivers to Nurses and Dr. Ortiz.  They keep to their word from the Driver being at the airport to meet you, carting you off to the hotel (or, in my case to my pre-op testing), hospital for surgery and back.  The hospital was super clean, smelling of bleach and pine every where.  Nurses were very attentive the entire stay.  Dr. Ortiz worked his magic and, I can honestly say, I had no pain and very little gas while there.  And, post-op continuing to do exceptionally well.  I did have a severe case of heartburn when I got back home and started creams, a daily ant-acid has done the trick.  Scaring and pain has been nil to none!  I'm actually down 25lbs and up to 2 miles walking on the treadmill already!  I was even able to lounge around the pool and go on their sight-seeing and shopping spree while there after surgery.  My husband even said it was like being on vacation for him.

AND... I got to meet my Pre-Op Buddy, Nessa39 personally!!!  :D

I had VSG surgery with Dr Elias Ortiz/A Lighter Me January 31, 2014. I could not have had a better experience. He is an excellent surgeon and the entire ALM team is outstanding. I would highly recommend them.

I never had pain after surgery and I never had to ask for medicine. The nurses gave me pain meds, nausea meds, and antibiotics on schedule. The only discomfort I experienced was left shoulder pain from the CO2 they put in your abdomen during laparoscopic surgery. That pain went away in a couple days.

There are surgeons in MX that rip patients off by charging them for things like repairing hernias that they never repaired. Dr Ortiz is not greedy and has great integrity. I feel fortunate that I had him as my surgeon.