Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the OCC

My husband is getting sleeved today. I am 13 lbs from goal and would like some cosmetics myself! I talked to Ora, who is the Ariel Center coordinator for cosmetics. ora@thearielcenter.com She said I just need to send pics and tell what I want to get a price. Or I can have a consult while I am here for a minimal fee. I was going to send the pics weeks ago but I never got around to it! I need more time to save up $$ anyway.

You look great! I never got a picture either with Dr. Ortiz

Good luck to your hubby

Hello Everyone!

I've been following along here for a while now (it took me that long to read the thread!) and you all seem like a nice group of ladies. I must say that some of your posts have been instrumental in helping me tame the fear of leaving home to have surgery in another country. I have not yet booked the appointment with Dr. Ortiz, but I am hoping to do so this week or at the very latest next. Ora with OCC has been very helpful, and as of my last contact with her, my hopeful date of July 2 surgery (kids are looked after during that timeframe) was available. Now comes the real work.

I told my parents about my decision last night, and was pleasantly surprised at their reaction, which was that of "you need to do whatever is right for you, and we will support you in it". I was really worried that this surgery would cause a rift in the family because I was going to do it whether they like it or not.

I have a gazillion questions, and I'm really sorry if any of them have been hashed over again and again (possibly even in this thread) but and it seems like the more 'research' I do on the forums/internet, the less clear the right answer for me is. I am feeling overwhelmed at the sheer amount of information out there. 

I guess that the question mostly on my mind at the moment is regarding pre-op diet - have any of you used the Vitaleph stuff they suggest, and do you know if OCC is flexible on what type of shake is used? I have never been someone who likes ordering stuff from the internet, so I'm hoping to find an alternative in a physical store, although I haven’t been able yet to find the nutritional info on the vitaleph. I'm in Alberta, so if any of you other canucks have additional advice, it will be appreciated.

Sorry for the long post!

My husband and I both were sleeved at OCC. They did not force us or be pushy to buy the vitaleph. I use Bariatric Advantage brand and other shake brands. But the vitaleph does have Probiotics and enzymes. I take another brand of those too.

I'm sure the vitaleph is a good product, but I didn't use it either. Although the enzymes and probiotics are a good idea, especially postop. But if you are shopping around, make sure you read labels. A lot of "protein" drinks have more carbs and sugar than Protein. Some of the best I've used are Premier Protein, Isopure, Syntrax Matrix, Syntrax Nectar, Garden of Life, Unjury, and Jay Robb products. They all have 23 - 30g protein and 0-5g carbs.

Edited by Kindle

Thank-you briangie & kindle. My husband told me last night that I'm being a bit neurotic about the shake thing, of all the things I could be stressing about, I choose that, lol. On the bright side, it has really given my 16 yr son and I a topic to bond over! He has been doing Protein Shakes for about a year (and lots of activity) in the hopes of gaining more muscle, but I'm sure if he turned sideways he'd disappear. He certainly didn't get his metabolism from me. 

I've been trying to also read all the "do's & don'ts" of this surgery, has anyone encountered post-op "don'ts" through trial and error that you never read about during your research?

Thank-you briangie & kindle. My husband told me last night that I'm being a bit neurotic about the shake thing, of all the things I could be stressing about, I choose that, lol. On the bright side, it has really given my 16 yr son and I a topic to bond over! He has been doing Protein Shakes for about a year (and lots of activity) in the hopes of gaining more muscle, but I'm sure if he turned sideways he'd disappear. He certainly didn't get his metabolism from me.

I've been trying to also read all the "do's & don'ts" of this surgery, has anyone encountered post-op "don'ts" through trial and error that you never read about during your research?

I have a sleeve of steel that really only rejected Water and Protein shakes for the first 6 months (everything I wanted to have for success, go figure). Luckily, my water nausea is almost gone now and I am back to enjoying a glass of water. Yay!

If something similar happens and water is not an option, I found heavier fluids made a world of difference. Orange juice watered down and blended with ice was an absolute go to for me.

I didn't use the Vitaleph (or Enspira, what they were using back in December).  I knew ready to drink was the only way to go given my schedule.  I wanted to leave as little room for error/poor planning as possible :)  I used Premier Protein from costco pre and post surgery.  Pre-surgery (2 weeks) I lost 18 lbs using 3 shakes a day and a bag of steamer brocolli or brussel sprouts most nights, along with Miso Soup as needed.  I was encouraged by the good loss.  Once I got to OCC it was strongly encouraged by the nutritionist to buy Enspira but I did not.  I still use Premier Protein probably 4 days a week.  If you cannot buy Premier Protein locally I believe Amazon carries it. 

So...I have officially lost 50% of my excess weight!!! I am down 70lbs. I feel amazing but it still doesn't feel real!

Congrats! I'm down 70lbs too! I have around 30 pounds left to goal ^_^ you're right, it doesn't feel real, sometimes I worry because of it haha

So...I have officially lost 50% of my excess weight!!! I am down 70lbs. I feel amazing but it still doesn't feel real!

Congrats! I'm down 70lbs too! I have around 30 pounds left to goal ^_^ you're right, it doesn't feel real, sometimes I worry because of it haha

Congrats MOTM and Covatila!! I'm so happy for you both and I know exactly what you two are feeling. You both are rocking your sleeves :)

Good Morning!

You ALL deserve applause at the weight lost and hard work you've put into this! This is the first time in my adult life that I feel like I can do this, and you've all had a hand in that!

I'm sorry I haven't been back to reply to my previous posts, things around here are have been a little busy. I have now completed the requirements and am booked for surgery on July 2, now I just need to book flights.

One by one, the fears I have about doing this are disintegrating, but I can honestly say that I am very anxious about the IV. I have never had luck with getting them done, needing to be poked multiple times. The last time I had one, in addition to the multiple pokes, they had to call to have the room cleaned b/c we had a spill, its no wonder I feel queasy when I get them. 

I've been reading online to find tricks to make it easier, like being well hydrated (as well a you can be when fasting for surgery) arm exercises to help increase circulation in them, and staying warm. These all seem to be pretty focused on people who have veins that are hard to find, but mine have been called "wiggly", so do any of you nurses know anything I can do to help? So far, I've just been hoping they'll give me an oral sedative before they place the iv.

Good Morning! You ALL deserve applause at the weight lost and hard work you've put into this! This is the first time in my adult life that I feel like I can do this, and you've all had a hand in that! I'm sorry I haven't been back to reply to my previous posts, things around here are have been a little busy. I have now completed the requirements and am booked for surgery on July 2, now I just need to book flights. One by one, the fears I have about doing this are disintegrating, but I can honestly say that I am very anxious about the IV. I have never had luck with getting them done, needing to be poked multiple times. The last time I had one, in addition to the multiple pokes, they had to call to have the room cleaned b/c we had a spill, its no wonder I feel queasy when I get them. I've been reading online to find tricks to make it easier, like being well hydrated (as well a you can be when fasting for surgery) arm exercises to help increase circulation in them, and staying warm. These all seem to be pretty focused on people who have veins that are hard to find, but mine have been called "wiggly", so do any of you nurses know anything I can do to help? So far, I've just been hoping they'll give me an oral sedative before they place the iv.

I always had problems getting IVs and they had problems at the OCC too. So they knocked me out and then put it in. I told them I was a hard stick and they still tried then they said, yeah you are! Lol

Good morning all! Today is my 5 month surgiversary and I feel fabulous. I can't believe how much has changed (for all of us) since I started this thread 9 months ago. Time flies, doesn't it?! So I usually weigh on Fridays, but since today is a "special" day I stepped on the scale. Only 2 pounds from Miranda's goal. Wow, that was "easy". (No really, it kind of was if I forget the travel nightmare and the diarrhea and the unnecessary worries). So I'm officially going to switch my ticker to my original personal goal of a normal BMI. (About 10 more pounds). But really, I NEVER thought I'd be in a size 12!

So congrats on everyone's progress and good luck to all future OCCers. It's a great club to belong to,

Good morning all! Today is my 5 month surgiversary and I feel fabulous. I can't believe how much has changed (for all of us) since I started this thread 9 months ago. Time flies, doesn't it?! So I usually weigh on Fridays, but since today is a "special" day I stepped on the scale. Only 2 pounds from Miranda's goal. Wow, that was "easy". (No really, it kind of was if I forget the travel nightmare and the diarrhea and the unnecessary worries). So I'm officially going to switch my ticker to my original personal goal of a normal BMI. (About 10 more pounds). But really, I NEVER thought I'd be in a size 12! So congrats on everyone's progress and good luck to all future OCCers. It's a great club to belong to,

Kindle! That is great! I feel your joy :) I just hit my 3 month surgiversary and I am down a total of 70.6lbs, halfway to my goal. 15 I lost on my own and 15 in preop, the other 40.6 since surgery. I feel great and this was the best decision I could ever make!