Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the OCC

I'm so glad I found this thread! Thank you all for sharing your experiences :) I am very excited and nervous about finally deciding to get sleeve surgery. I and am almost certain I will go with Dr Ortiz. I am waiting to hear back about whether I can get in at the end of November or beginning of December. I will keep you all posted - and please let me know if anyone else is scheduled around that time!

Yes indeedy!! I'm scheduled for November 29!! And can't wait!! :))

Thank you sooooo much for the play by play!!! I love it and it makes me feel so much better about my own surgery!! Were the Enspira Vitamins and stuff ? And after you came back from OCC, what did u do at the hotel?
No problem. I tried not to leave anything out, but if you have questions I'll be glad to answer. The discharge meds were 160 USD and I got two bottles of vitamins since they sold out recently and that brought my total to 220 USD. I took 900 USD with me, but I paid for the extra hotel room for 4 nights plus some food for my parents (they spent a small amount of money at the shopping center on their own). I paid for everything cash, including the 100 deposits for the rooms. Another person that went to a different doctor told me she used her credit card for the deposit and hadn't gotten it back and it had been almost 2 months, so I wanted to make sure there were no issues. I didnt spend any major money on myself, so if you're going alone you definitely don't need much money. You'll get all you need from the hotel. The popsicles are 1 in the gift shop. If I had gone alone, I don't believe I would've needed more than 350-400 USD, but that's including the hotel deposit. I came home with 324 (update- I ended up finding more random money in my pockets while unpacking). While I was at the hotel, I rested a lot and walked. The days seemed to go by fast. The day after surgery, you'll probably just sleep honestly. I didn't even drink much. You spend a lot of time waiting to be picked up/ dropped off and by the time you're done, you'll be ready for a nap :) After surgery, I didn't go out anywhere because I got everything I needed from Walmart the night before surgery. Im able to watch my home cable tv from my computer, so I watched my TV shows everyday. I brought gossip mags with me, but I never read one. I brought things with me to the OCC that I didn't use like the mags, my laptop, heating pad, my slippers. You really don't need anything to keep you occupied while there if you have someone with you and like I said they have great cable if your a TV watcher. I was glad that I brought my rose salve for my lips, some hair ties to put my hair in two braids, and my Vicks inhaler- I can't live without my Vicks. It was never cold there and the beds had an extra warm blanket, however I noticed when we all were done that night none of us had covers on. They took them all off of us and I'm assuming to prevent fever. I didn't get chilly until early in the AM and I grabbed a sheet from the bedding which they had on the couch. A couple things I'm glad I had were my cozy socks (they will have those blue hospital booties for all to put over their shoes and they stay on the whole time), my bath wipes to clean myself up before and after surgery along with my toiletries for AM care, and my emesis bags. I had so many secretions from my mouth and nausea, by morning I had emptied the tissue box at my bedside. No one else had this problem though, and to be honest I have a bad gag reflex normally so I knew I would probably need them. So glad I brought them. Some people say they never touched their makeup, but I wore my makeup daily except the day I went in because of the instructions and when we were released because I knew I was just going to go to sleep all day. I did fill in my brows though! At the hotel, I used my BP cuff and thermometer repeatedly. I did note that the first postop day my BP was really elevated, but the next day it was lower than my normal. I did see another person say the same on another thread with regard to her BP.

Edited by back2barb78

OMG.. I forgot another couple things I brought that was great- front closure sports bras! I got a couple from Walmart in different sizes; they were about 7 dollars. So convenient and so easy to put on. I have big boobs so I had to wear two to be presentable ;) I will wear these for a while because I do have a small, small incision right at the bra line in the center of my upper abdomen. Also the elastic came in handy in the shower and under my clothes for the drain. It was well taped so you could let it hang, but I just tied it high on my waist for security. I also used the GasX strips late on postop day 1 in the middle of the

night and felt better after. I had gas pain in my chest which I walked away.

Edited by back2barb78

Hello everyone! I took my nexus 7 with me instead of my laptop. I don't have the password to this forum on the nexus so I couldn't post while I was there.

My experience was very similar to BacktoBarb's. she has described it very well. I did not feel sick after surgery. The most discomfort came from the area around the drain and that wasn't bad. I was able to drink without trouble. I was tired.

The other patients and their families made the waiting at the clinic enjoyable. Everyone was sweet and fun to be around.

BacktoBaeb's parents were wonderful! Everyone loved them.

The third day after surgery i wore my bra to the clinic. After waiting awhile for my appointment I went into the bathroom and took it off. I haven't worn it since, even on the flight home. It put too much pressure on the top incision.

I had jackets to hide in so it wasn't a problem.

I had several books on the Nexus so I read when I wasn't walking and drinking.

For all the hanging out with Dr Ortiz that Barb got to do i never saw him when I wasn't sedated. My consultation was with Dr Martinez who is very sweet. He has a great bedside manner. I liked him.

I walked to the plane in San Diego. It was great because it was the closest possible gate. When we got to Detroit my husband ordered a wheel chair for me. I was so grateful. We had to go through the tunnel to a different terminal and it was at the far end. The wheelchair made a big difference to me.

I'm really glad the surgery is over. I am delighted with my choice of doctors.

I was sleeved by Dr. Ortiz on September 17th 2013. I had a very good experience with him! The facility is very clean and the doctors and nurses were lovely :) watch out for the receptionist tho... She was awful to deal with. I have had some nausea since the surgery after eating certain things... And I had one very bad day where I felt so sick and bloated the entire day... The next day I was so scared that I barely ate anything... I don't think these things have anything to do with the actual surgery or where I did it!

Hello ladies and gentlemen of OCC' date=' I've been following this thread for a while as its where I plan to have my surgery. Just curious if any of the postop posters could answer this question for me: In Dr Ortiz's aftercare recommendations, how long did OCC say not to lift anything over ten pounds? Two weeks? Four? Six? I'd love to know the answer specifically for this program! Also good luck to all of you who have your date set! I hope to get in November as well, but may have to wait until April :( though I must say all he information on this thread has been very helpful in general.[/quote']

I'd love to know what you've heard as far as recommendations for aftercare and lifting and such after the surgery- care to share!?

I'd love to know what you've heard as far as recommendations for aftercare and lifting and such after the surgery- care to share!?

Carolyn informed me that they recommend no lifting of anything over 25 pounds for 3-4 weeks after surgery :) so it's prebowling for me heh

Have been meaning to upload pics so I hope this works post-66507-13838396527812_thumb.jpg Going in post-66507-13838396528093_thumb.jpg where you sit and wait to be picked up once you cross over into Mexico post-66507-1383839652841_thumb.jpg Double room I stayed in the night before surgery. It had a safe in the closet and a mini bar style refrigerator in the room. My rooms before and after surgery had a mini bar in it, but my parents did not have the things in their fridge so they were able to put things in it. The hotel offered them a second one, but they didn't need it. post-66507-13838396528698_thumb.jpg post-66507-13838396528982_thumb.jpg post-66507-13838396529276_thumb.jpg post-66507-13838396529552_thumb.jpg post-66507-13838396529834_thumb.jpg The letter waiting for me at check inpost-66507-13838396530111_thumb.jpg The Water in the rooms! I was nervous, but I drank it! post-66507-1383839653043_thumb.jpg Hotel lobby. Very nice and there were always multiple bellboys/doorman in the lobby at all times- even when I was up at 4am! post-66507-1383839653076_thumb.jpg post-66507-13838396531861_thumb.jpg Lobby of OCC. Sorry I didn't get more, but there were always people there, and I did not want to photograph other people. post-66507-13838396532141_thumb.jpg My room at the OCC. I think it was room 4. The Center is in between other buildings. My mom looked out the window, but I never did. post-66507-13838396532422_thumb.jpg I didn't take pics of the bathrooms, darn it! There are no bathrooms in the rooms. There are 2 full bathrooms at the end of the hall (not far). You've got to get up to go! post-66507-13838396532704_thumb.jpg Me preop. No makeup allowed! post-66507-1383839653298_thumb.jpg My room postop at the Marriott post-66507-13838396533258_thumb.jpg And again, me and Batman! Sorry if viewing it is weird. I'm not the greatest at the pic uploading/layout thing :P

Edited by back2barb78

Back2barb, was there wifi at OCC? I am would like to FaceTime my parents and kids after surgery. Also did you go to the pool at all at the hotel?

Have been meaning to upload pics so I hope this works

Awesome!!! Thanks for posting all the pics :)!

You did such a good job documenting everything. I wish I had met Dr. Ortiz. I think I talked to him when I was coming to because I remember seeing that bright smile but for the life of me I cannot remember what was said. I went by myself. I think it was nice you had your parents. I enjoy reading your posts. I was there in the middle of September. Thanks for posting!

Back2barb' date=' was there wifi at OCC? I am would like to FaceTime my parents and kids after surgery. Also did you go to the pool at all at the hotel?[/quote']

Derbyma, that's one thing that perturbed me. The WiFi was "not working" when I was there. When I first got there and got changed and settled I asked the nurse for the code because the link popped up on my phone. She said let me find out, but never told me. Don't know if that is always the case or just happenstance or what the real deal was. I did see 2 or 3 computers right by the nurses station that looked like they would be for patient use, but there was also a bed parked there. I had my parents with me and Skyped my boyfriend when I got to the hotel the next day. I would ask the front desk people or someone in the front for the code because the nurses speak less English than everyone else- I had no trouble communicating, but it just is what it is. I didn't go to the pool! I had every intention to, but it rained while we were there. I did see tennis courts outside my windows of my room. I brought magazines I was going to read by the pool, but I never got to them. I spent most of my time resting and going back and forth to the OCC. You're really tired postop.

{)i(} Sent from my iPhone using VST {)i(}

You did such a good job documenting everything. I wish I had met Dr. Ortiz. I think I talked to him when I was coming to because I remember seeing that bright smile but for the life of me I cannot remember what was said. I went by myself. I think it was nice you had your parents. I enjoy reading your posts. I was there in the middle of September. Thanks for posting!

That's so funny because that's all I remember too from the recovery bed was teeth! They were my mom's though. A chocolate blur with lots of teeth! And I remember the inflatable raft they use to move you. I was wondering "what the heck?" as I felt the air fill the "raft" underneath me and them move me, but I couldn't do anything about it. I made sure to look for the clock to see how long I was out but feel asleep again because the next thing I knew I was sleepily saying goodbye to my parents at 4pm then getting up to walk. I was lucky they were there, but I swear my mom is a handful! I wish I had taken pics of the walk back from the border crossing to the bank. It's through a parking lot that has lots of little sidewalks you have to go up and down. I would liken it to a New York City block- not too long. I was with a lady with a walker and I was sooo scared she or my dad would fall! Its not a bad walk if you have light luggage or someone to handle your bag if you overpack. I would have been miserable if I had to drag my luggage and probably would've hurt myself.

Have been meaning to upload pics so I hope this works Going in where you sit and wait to be picked up once you cross over into Mexico Double room I stayed in the night before surgery. It had a safe in the closet and a mini bar style refrigerator in the room. My rooms before and after surgery had a mini bar in it' date=' but my parents did not have the things in their fridge so they were able to put things in it. The hotel offered them a second one, but they didn't need it. The letter waiting for me at check in The Water in the rooms! I was nervous, but I drank it! Hotel lobby. Very nice and there were always multiple bellboys/doorman in the lobby at all times- even when I was up at 4am! Lobby of OCC. Sorry I didn't get more, but there were always people there, and I did not want to photograph other people. My room at the OCC. I think it was room 4. The Center is in between other buildings. My mom looked out the window, but I never did. I didn't take pics of the bathrooms, darn it! There are no bathrooms in the rooms. There are 2 full bathrooms at the end of the hall (not far). You've got to get up to go! Me preop. No makeup allowed! My room postop at the Marriott And again, me and Batman! Sorry if viewing it is weird. I'm not the greatest at the pic uploading/layout thing :P[/quote']

Just want to thank you for all of your posts and pictures. You have really helped to solidify my decision in going with Dr. Ortiz. My date is scheduled!!

Just want to thank you for all of your posts and pictures. You have really helped to solidify my decision in going with Dr. Ortiz. My date is scheduled!!

No problem. I'm so glad to help!