Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the OCC

Oh ya - oh ya! You are SLEEVED! Knew you would do well, but so glad to read your update!

BTW - paper underwear were created by the devil.

Thanks so much for your updates..... I check my email 2times/day for your updates :) I'm the OP of this topic and you have been more than helpful with your posts! Glad you are all well and continue to have a successful recovery.

No problem! I will post everything that happens. I'll post again tomorrow afternoon when we all get back and tell you guys what happens.

I was discharged with 4 medications- a liquid suspension antibiotic, a pain medication that is placed under the tongue to dissolve, an antacid in a capsule that you open, and a nausea medication in pill form that you can swallow or crush. None are that bad to take, however the antibiotic did make me nauseous, but honestly I think it's just me. That's been my only problem besides the gas in my chest and tummy. I did pack my own disposable emesis bags with me just in case and I'm glad I did. Still just discomfort at 2 of the incisions but only when I move- no real pain. The incisions are barely noticeable- I believe there are 4- 1 on either side of my belly button, one in the center of my chest just below my boobs, and the one thats covered where the JP is. The incisions have dermabond on them (a surgical glue). They should heal nicely.

No problem! I will post everything that happens. I'll post again tomorrow afternoon when we all get back and tell you guys what happens.

I was discharged with 4 medications- a liquid suspension antibiotic, a pain medication that is placed under the tongue to dissolve, an antacid in a capsule that you open, and a nausea medication in pill form that you can swallow or crush. None are that bad to take, however the antibiotic did make me nauseous, but honestly I think it's just me. That's been my only problem besides the gas in my chest and tummy. I did pack my own disposable emesis bags with me just in case and I'm glad I did. Still just discomfort at 2 of the incisions but only when I move- no real pain. The incisions are barely noticeable- I believe there are 4- 1 on either side of my belly button, one in the center of my chest just below my boobs, and the one thats covered where the JP is. The incisions have dermabond on them (a surgical glue). They should heal nicely.

When you met with the nutritionist, were you surprised where she set your goal weight? That was incredibly interesting to me - learned so much meeting with her.

Glad you are feeling well and yes - my dermabond incisions healed very nicely! I'm super white on the belly and they are a very light pink 9 months after surgery...barely noticeable.

When you met with the nutritionist' date=' were you surprised where she set your goal weight? That was incredibly interesting to me - learned so much meeting with her. Glad you are feeling well and yes - my dermabond incisions healed very nicely! I'm super white on the belly and they are a very light pink 9 months after surgery...barely noticeable.[/quote'] You know, I figured it would be in the 160-170 range. I put 220 on my ticker as my personal goal to get to, knowing I wanted to be 170 because once I reached the 1st goal I would have 50lbs more to go. I was 160-165 about 8 years ago and was very fit, comfortable, and healthy. It was an interesting conversation with her. I wish I would've gotten most of my postop diet instructions prior to arriving though- there's so much going on preop between the people you have to talk to, it was hard to focus and listen to her. But everything is written and all mapped out for when to start Vitamins, exercise besides walking, food, etc. and she said don't hesitate to contact her with any questions. She was always very prompt answering my emails preop as well. {)i(} Sent from my iPhone using VST {)i(}

Edited by back2barb78

So today it was back to the OCC for everyone. I got there with my parents at 12pm. Some of the others were already there and were still waiting. I went in and Tania checked my incisions and said they looked good. She took the old dressing off and cleaned them all. She told me to come back tomorrow for the leak test and drain removal. The group was large so since we came later, we waited for the driver to return for us since there wasn't enough room and I'm so glad I did. I was about to go downstairs with my parents to the coffee/sandwich shop (which by the way my parents are obsessed with-they already planned what they want tomorrow when we go back), when I spotted Dr Ortiz! I asked the person he had just finished talking to (which happened to be his lovely wife) if he was too busy to take a picture with me. She said of course not and went to get him. He's so sweet! He asked me for a kiss and I said I'll give you two and proceeded to kiss both cheeks! He told me to be diligent about taking my Vitamins and to be sure to send him before and after pictures because he thinks I will have a great transformation. I truly hope so! He then introduced me to his wife who is absolutely gorgeous and super tall! They are both lovely people. Everyone at the OCC and the Marriott have gone out of their way to be polite, courteous, and helpful. I feel great so far and have no complaints. I got back to the hotel and went to the gift shop for a Popsicle. The gentleman at the register asked me if I was a clinic patient and showed me which one I could have, which was the lime-flavored one. Now I don't know if it's just that I haven't had anything tasty in a while, but that popsicle was delicious. They close at 4pm, so I have to go back in 30 minutes for another before they close! Also my mom said depending on how long they keep you tomorrow, we can always stay another day! She's having too much fun!

{)i(} Sent from my iPhone using VST {)i(}

post-66507-1383839617308_thumb.jpg

Edited by back2barb78

Hoosiergirl, Was it set higher or lower than you would have originally thought?

StrawberryBlond - After taking all kinds of measurements (height, weight, body fat percentage, frame size, etc.) she determined my goal weight: 155. It surprised me because it was so reasonable. I assumed it would be at the low range for my height. I asked her if I could go lower than her goal weight and be healthy. "Absolutely! It will just take some additional effort."

My personal goal was 145...10 lbs less! (Picked this weight since this is what I weighed after I "gained weight" in college...a size 8 with pretty curves.)

In the 8 months since surgery, I've been putting in additional effort. This morning, I weighed 159 - only 4 lbs from her goal. So, I am working like crazy to get to 145 by the end of November. But man - the closer you get to goal, weight comes off so ssslllooowww.

I am so glad you got a pic with Dr. Ortiz!!! And I am glad you are doing well and that your folks are having a great time. When you get rid of the drains, you will feel set free. And I agree with Dr. Ortiz - you are so pretty already that your transformation is going to be amazing to watch! We'll see you on Top Model next year. Bet on it.

I am so glad you got a pic with Dr. Ortiz!!! And I am glad you are doing well and that your folks are having a great time. When you get rid of the drains' date=' you will feel set free. And I agree with Dr. Ortiz - you are so pretty already that your transformation is going to be amazing to watch! We'll see you on Top Model next year. Bet on it.[/quote']

They seriously don't want to go home! Everyone here has spoiled them! I got a call from the OCC a few hours ago to come in earlier tomorrow and after I'm done I get to go home and my dad seriously looked so disappointed when I told them! I'll be glad to get the drain out but it's also given me some peace of mind that everything's good as far as leaks in there because the Fluid is nice and pink and isn't a funky color :) I will just be satisfied with losing some weight and doing some fun things I've been wanting to do for so long- I seriously can't wait! I'm going to be all over the place next year.

Awww! Your picture with Dr. Ortiz is precious. And you look wonderful! I agree with everyone else. You're a beautiful girl and your transformation is going to be absolutely stunning. Can you believe you're going home already? You may have to just go and leave your mom and dad there! Lol.

So today was the last day of my Mexico surgery excursion. We woke up this AM and went to the hotel restaurant for Breakfast. My parents had the buffet which they said was delicious. It was only 25 US dollars which for a hotel buffet I thought was fantastic. Of course I had my complimentary broth and Water and b-lined for the tobacco/gift shop for my delicious lime popsicle. I was supposed to be at the clinic at 930 but didn't get there until around 10ish. I will say I'm a go with the flow person so waiting for the drivers to come and go did bother some people, but it didn't bother me at all. At the clinic, we waited to all be seen and again Dr Ortiz comes through and stops and high fives everyone on the couches. Where that man gets all his energy, I have no idea! Whatever it is, I hope he put some in the Enspira vitamins!! I went into the X-ray room a short time later where I met Dr So. He said he was in for my surgery Monday and that everything in there looked great. I asked him about the staples in my stomach and there effect on future exams and he said the staples are made of titanium and would have no effect on MRIs, Ultrasounds, or any other scan I might have later in life. He gave me a cup of what tasted like pepto bismol minus the flavoring and told me to tap a sip. We watched as the Fluid moved through my esophagus, through what looked like a really tiny tummy, then down into my small bowel. He told me to take a bigger sip the next time which I did and we watched again. Dr So said everything looked good and took me back to the EKG/exam room where he took off the dressing and took out the drain. The drain removal was just a bit uncomfortable and right at the end burned a bit. He said I was the only patient who he's ever heard want to keep it for a while longer. It was a safety net knowing everything was fine in there. He cleansed the area really well for me and put steri-strips over the drain site. Then I was good to go. We finally left the OCC after waiting a while for another patient to finish. We got to the border crossing and exited the van with our belongings. We exited the van at 1218 then were back in the van on the other side at 1250 so this day it wasn't bad. We did have a couple of wobbly people in the group, one being my dad, so I'm glad it didn't take too long. This trip is definitely not for the elderly in the family to make. I would definitely consider how many times you have to get in and out of the van, moving belongings, lifting, etc. when you choose who to bring with you down here. They have to get into and out of the van using a stepstool since the van is high off the ground. We are driving into Mexicoach right now! {)i(} Sent from my iPhone using VST {)i(}

Edited by back2barb78

So today was the last day of my Mexico surgery excursion. We woke up this AM and went to the hotel restaurant for breakfast. My parents had the buffet which they said was delicious. It was only 25 US dollars which for a hotel buffet I thought was fantastic. Of course I had my complimentary broth and Water and b-lined for the tobacco/gift shop for my delicious lime popsicle. I was supposed to be at the clinic at 930 but didn't get there until around 10ish. I will say I'm a go with the flow person so waiting for the drivers to come and go did bother some people' date=' but it didn't bother me at all. At the clinic, we waited to all be seen and again Dr Ortiz comes through and stops and high fives everyone on the couches. Where that man gets all his energy, I have no idea! Whatever it is, I hope he put some in the Enspira vitamins!! I went into the X-ray room a short time later where I met Dr So. He said he was in for my surgery Monday and that everything in there looked great. I asked him about the staples in my stomach and there effect on future exams and he said the staples are made of titanium and would have no effect on MRIs, Ultrasounds, or any other scan I might have later in life. He gave me a cup of what tasted like leptons bismol minus the flavoring and told me to tap a sip. We watched as the Fluid moved through my esophagus, through what looked like a really tiny tummy, then down into my small bowel. He told me to take a bigger sip the next time which I did and we watched again. Dr So said everything looked good and took me back to the EKG/exam room where he took off the dressing and took out the drain. The drain removal was just a bit uncomfortable and right at the end burned a bit. He said I was the only patient who he's ever heard want to keep it for a while longer. It was a safety net knowing everything was fine in there. He cleansed the area really well for me and put steri-strips over the drain site. Then I was good to go.

We finally left the OCC after waiting a while for another patient to finish. We got to the border crossing and exited the van with our belongings. We exited the van at 1218 then were back in the van on the other side at 1250 so this day it wasn't bad. We did have a couple of wobbly people in the group, one being my dad, so I'm glad it didn't take too long. This trip is definitely not for the elderly in the family to make. I would definitely consider how many times you have to get in and out of the van, moving belongings, lifting, etc. when you choose who to bring with you down here. They have to get into and out of the van using a stepstool since the van is high off the ground. We are driving into Mexicoach right now!

{)i(} Sent from my iPhone using VST {)i(}[/quote']

Thank you again for this detailed insight!

Awww! Your picture with Dr. Ortiz is precious. And you look wonderful! I agree with everyone else. You're a beautiful girl and your transformation is going to be absolutely stunning. Can you believe you're going home already? You may have to just go and leave your mom and dad there! Lol.

I couldn't walk around there looking crazy! There so many handsome men and beautiful women around its crazy. There were also lots of people there that we met in the lobby of the hotel- skinny people a couple years out back for other things like fillers and dental work, etc. Looking at them and having them tell us how great things will be soon is still baffling. It is crazy too how good I feel. I'm not in any incredible pain. I was telling my mom my period is way worse. I wouldn't even take an Advil right now if I could. I almost did leave them there! My mom had a great time talking everyone's ear off (her fav thing to do) and my dad just sat watching whatever the next move would be. They're a mess ;)

Thank you sooooo much for the play by play!!! I love it and it makes me feel so much better about my own surgery!! Were the Enspira Vitamins and stuff $$? And after you came back from OCC, what did u do at the hotel?

I'm so glad I found this thread! Thank you all for sharing your experiences :)

I am very excited and nervous about finally deciding to get sleeve surgery. I and am almost certain I will go with Dr Ortiz. I am waiting to hear back about whether I can get in at the end of November or beginning of December. I will keep you all posted - and please let me know if anyone else is scheduled around that time!