Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the OCC

I have to agree with the last few posts that Dr. Martinez was great at answering any questions. Maybe because I was the last patient to be sleeved on the day I went, I did spend about 10-15 minutes with Dr. Ortiz before I went into the operating room. He answered my questions, but post op I had a few more and Dr. M made sure to spend all the time needed answering both my questions and my husbands.

You have to be 100% comfortable with your choice in docs, this is a big decision. I'm confident in OCC and hope you get the answers you need.

Best of luck

I can also tell you from my own experience that I barely spent 5 mins with Dr Ortiz during the whole time but Dr Martinez was very accommodating with his time , he spend at least 30 min with me before the operation. You really are in good hands with Dr Martinez and Ortiz. I was sleeved on July 12 and never had problems. I really do think they are one of the best. My research at the time could not find anybody with complications that went to OCC.

I've never heard anyone mention Dr Martinez!! When Lori emailed me, she asked if I would be ok with speaking to Dr Martinez and I said no I wanted to speak to Dr Ortiz. Had I known that I would've been fine with speaking to him instead :( I'll have to email Lori (I'm sure she's avoiding me and/or is busy). I'm sitting here already nervous as all get out and my doctor won't even call me?! Some doctors require you meet ahead of time and I'm going into this blindly. I definitely don't question their ability- it's obvious they know what they are doing. I just don't want to be left out in the cold when I "saw the signs" ahead of time. Now I know and I'll speak with Martinez. Thank you guys. It's really hard to just trust and take people's word for everything. Also you know everyone always talks about Batman ( I call Dr Ortiz Batman in my head). So you pay to see Batman, expect Batman to pick up the Batphone, then get Robin (although I'm sure Robin is cool). We'll see what happens.

{)i(} Sent from my iPhone using VST {)i(}

Batman....I like it! As long as you get Dr. Martinez (and not the Joker) you are in good shape!! LOL!

Stick to your guns and talk to the man. You will feel better if you do. And I didn't meet Dr. Martinez at OCC, only Dr. Ortiz. Interesting! But with my pre-op and post-op questions, Dr. Martinez answered those emails.

Batman....I like it! As long as you get Dr. Martinez (and not the Joker) you are in good shape!! LOL!

Stick to your guns and talk to the man. You will feel better if you do. And I didn't meet Dr. Martinez at OCC' date=' only Dr. Ortiz. Interesting! But with my pre-op and post-op questions, Dr. Martinez answered those emails.[/quote']

:) He is Batman, right? Mysterious, attractive, elusive- I think he's Batman. I love you, HoooserGirl!

Barb78. I have to tell you this, my very protective husband didn't want me going to Mexico and we decided on self pay in the us and to just bite the bullet with the price. During my process he decided he wanted to be sleeved and after my procedure and research on his own, 1 week after my surgery he picked Dr. Ortiz and the OCC. 3 weeks after I was sleeved he was. He loved his decision and is doing very well, now his response is, well if I knew it was going to be like that in TJ I wouldn't have minded you going.

I hope this helps ease your mind. Dr. Ortiz did talk with my husband as they started talking cars and such but dr. Martinez made sure he was comfortable medically with all of the information, as he had to travel alone.

:) He is Batman' date=' right? Mysterious, attractive, elusive- I think he's Batman. I love you, HoooserGirl!

{)i(} Sent from my iPhone using VST {)i(}[/quote']

Oh yes, like Batman (but no cape). Very handsome. When I met him, I had already taken my 'happy pill' and told him I dreamed they performed my surgery nude. He thought that was hilarious and assured me they would all be dressed!!

You are going to do great, but keep pushing so you feel comfortable before you go. The pre-surgery phase is the worst....I made myself crazy with worry and random nude thoughts. Don't want you to suffer the same! Lol!

Oh yes' date=' like Batman (but no cape). Very handsome. When I met him, I had already taken my 'happy pill' and told him I dreamed they performed my surgery nude. He thought that was hilarious and assured me they would all be dressed!!

You are going to do great, but keep pushing so you feel comfortable before you go. The pre-surgery phase is the worst....I made myself crazy with worry and random nude thoughts. Don't want you to suffer the same! Lol![/quote']

I hope I don't have nude thoughts too- and BTW I think he tucks his cape in his scrubs so you won't figure out his true identity.

Oh yes' date=' like Batman (but no cape). Very handsome. When I met him, I had already taken my 'happy pill' and told him I dreamed they performed my surgery nude. He thought that was hilarious and assured me they would all be dressed!!

You are going to do great, but keep pushing so you feel comfortable before you go. The pre-surgery phase is the worst....I made myself crazy with worry and random nude thoughts. Don't want you to suffer the same! Lol![/quote']

Lol!! OMG! OMG! That is hilarious. Batman and Robin will be performing my surgery Nov. 29. Sure wish I could find a buddy. Traveling alone...

Indigochild - hoosiergirl went on her own and loved it (sorry to speak for your hoosiergirl) and her blog and comments gave me great comfort before I went...that said, I didn't go alone, but there are many there that are unaccompanied. Once you're there - you're not alone - you will meet many people at the hotel, all in the same boat, just not all going to the OCC. Don't be shy about going up to chat with folks - granted not all big people are there for surgery, but really, the vast majority are. Look around the lobby, around the pool and in the restaurant, you wont be short of finding a "sleeve-family" member. Also, contact the OCC and ask if you can intact any others scheduled for the same day. Sometimes you can get their email address and establish contact. My sleeve-sister at the OCC on the same day has become a new good friend - the positives from our decision to be sleeved and take back our lives are many and some unexpected. Good luck to you, you are in good hands.

p.s. Batman and Robin also have Wonderwoman (Dr Victoria) - who was the doctor on call post-surgery all night. She's gorgeous inside & out.

So I met Robin today via Skype- he was very nice. I'm officially excited again.

So I met Robin today via Skype- he was very nice. I'm officially excited again.

Cute, isn't he?! Haha. So pleased you're excited again....I'm sure you won't regret your decision!

Cute' date=' isn't he?! Haha. So pleased you're excited again....I'm sure you won't regret your decision![/quote']

I hope I don't. Bring on the Batcave (that's the operating room). Where did I come up with this? ;)

I think next year for Halloween I should be Batgirl or Poison Ivy.

Hey- one question. How much cash did you bring/ should I bring with me as far as money needed for incidentals at the OCC?

Hey- one question. How much cash did you bring/ should I bring with me as far as money needed for incidentals at the OCC?

I had surgery in TJ on Friday. I brought $100 with me in $5, $10 and $1's to tip at the hotel and airport. Other than that I didn't spend a dime.