Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This actually happened tonight!

Why were you in so long?

You have a right to complain! As a nurse myself I feel that is bad patient care and just in bad taste! Why are you still in the hospital?

Did you have a problem surgery? I was throwing up too much so I got an extra day and still that was only 2 days

Well..,.a number of reasons, and I get to go home today, finally. One full week later!

I had pretty bad gas pains as all people do, and nausea, no vomiting, but I couldn't take in anything but ice chips for the first 4 days or so. I still have a hard time getting 1 or 2 shakes in me per day. Water I am constantly sipping.

Then I had issues with severe Fluid retention, and they just kept saying, no we can't let you go. Something was wrong and they were waiting for it. Little did I know.

I did know that my surgery was particularly difficult and they had a mishap happen during surgery. The stapler, got stuck shut with two pieces of my stomach in between. They couldn't get it open. In fact they had to call the manufacturer and get some advice while I was on the table. The other option would be to rip it out, with my stomach that was stapled together. It turns out there was some tearing. They had to make another lapro hole, so I have 6, and use another stapler to pry open the other one. what they brought through once they got the stapler open was some of my stomach. I was on the table 4.5 hours. Adhesions, and scar tissue were tough issues too. I was in recovery for 2 hours with breathing problems too. It was just one thing after another. I finally got to my room at 11:30pm

I started feeling better after a few days, and thought yeah I'll be going home... and then I started feeling sick again, and blood sugars were going up despite me not eating much, blood pressure was dropping, and I was having more nausea and night sweats and chills and bam infection. In one of the port holes lol I'm not sure what to call it, but it was big and hard and red and swollen overnight. and growing. So the surgeon came up to my room, took out stitches, no anesthetic at all...and he opened me up drained what was the most nasty pus ever to come out of a zombie (because that's what I felt like at that point) used big swabs to poke all around in me and release all that pus, and then slipped a few feet of strip gauze in me, put some 2x2's and tape on, and here I am today. They did a dressing change on it this morning, shoved more strip gauze in the hole and I'm to take out the strip gauze tomorrow and keep a clean dry dressing on it until it heals. Meanwhile I'm on antibiotics and keeping my fingers crossed. I've been down this road before, with wound care after surgery. Last time it took 3 months to heal. I'm hoping this time is just a few days like they say.

It seemed everything that could happen did happen. And so....I'm maybe grateful for staff who knew there was a possibility I could get sick, and for those who just didn't like how I looked. LOL You know what I mean. They could sense something was wrong with me. I'm still having a great deal of nausea, unfortunately but I am SO glad I am going home. I feel that if I can just get a good nights sleep I might actually feel better.

Ohhh Lord carolm! I'm so glad you're on the mend. What an ordeal. Scary to say the least.

I had my own private room, all patients in my floor did. Do not insult others on this page because perhaps your hospital stay wasn't as pleasurable. I was able to sleep at night, watch the tv if I wanted, whenever I wanted. I'm an adult Lol. I also requested to get up and walk quite often on my own. Each hospital and staff is different. My nurses were awesome. I understand her frustration at being work up as getting comfortable is an hour long process. I was woken up at 4am to be weighed just as I fell asleep. I totally get it.

Every hospital and policy is absolutely different.

I had one nights stay in the hospital and within the one night, they too came to my room stating a patient had recently been released from the recovery room, and needed my room as it was a more 'closely monitored room'. However the patient refused to take my room I was in as they said she has already been in there I'm sure you can walk down two extra rooms to make sure I am all right. Leave her be, she too is recovering. I had a lot of respect for that person. But it prompted me to ask why I was in it as I had no issues after surgery. Apparently it was the quickest room that was available. Once I got the anesthesia to wear off I was walking the halls literally every hour till 11p that night, turned on the TV to fall asleep and the woke every two hours to walk thru the night. Monitor in hand and all. The nurses were not one bit upset, in fact they told every nurse or doctor on shift 'she's going to set the new record for most walked after surgery'. Kind of a thing our hospital does to keep us going lol. My staff were terrific and I would recommend them to anyone. Since the nurses knew I was awake they'd come in to chat, give advice or ask to give me something to help me sleep and try to rest. I have the rest of my life to rest. I've not felt this much energy even tho it is after surgery I want to feel what I've been missing for so long and perhaps it's the excitement of just knowing the new me is born today (4/22)!

I'm sorry you had an awful stay at the hospital and I too can relate to the infection after surgery as I had a horrible one with my first c section. It's not easy. Hang in there Hun. This too shall pass and before you know it this will all just be a distant memory.

Two words... Murphy's law!

Well..,.a number of reasons, and I get to go home today, finally. One full week later!

I had pretty bad gas pains as all people do, and nausea, no vomiting, but I couldn't take in anything but ice chips for the first 4 days or so. I still have a hard time getting 1 or 2 shakes in me per day. Water I am constantly sipping.

Then I had issues with severe Fluid retention, and they just kept saying, no we can't let you go. Something was wrong and they were waiting for it. Little did I know.

I did know that my surgery was particularly difficult and they had a mishap happen during surgery. The stapler, got stuck shut with two pieces of my stomach in between. They couldn't get it open. In fact they had to call the manufacturer and get some advice while I was on the table. The other option would be to rip it out, with my stomach that was stapled together. It turns out there was some tearing. They had to make another lapro hole, so I have 6, and use another stapler to pry open the other one. what they brought through once they got the stapler open was some of my stomach. I was on the table 4.5 hours. Adhesions, and scar tissue were tough issues too. I was in recovery for 2 hours with breathing problems too. It was just one thing after another. I finally got to my room at 11:30pm

I started feeling better after a few days, and thought yeah I'll be going home... and then I started feeling sick again, and blood sugars were going up despite me not eating much, blood pressure was dropping, and I was having more nausea and night sweats and chills and bam infection. In one of the port holes lol I'm not sure what to call it, but it was big and hard and red and swollen overnight. and growing. So the surgeon came up to my room, took out stitches, no anesthetic at all...and he opened me up drained what was the most nasty pus ever to come out of a zombie (because that's what I felt like at that point) used big swabs to poke all around in me and release all that pus, and then slipped a few feet of strip gauze in me, put some 2x2's and tape on, and here I am today. They did a dressing change on it this morning, shoved more strip gauze in the hole and I'm to take out the strip gauze tomorrow and keep a clean dry dressing on it until it heals. Meanwhile I'm on antibiotics and keeping my fingers crossed. I've been down this road before, with wound care after surgery. Last time it took 3 months to heal. I'm hoping this time is just a few days like they say.

It seemed everything that could happen did happen. And so....I'm maybe grateful for staff who knew there was a possibility I could get sick, and for those who just didn't like how I looked. LOL You know what I mean. They could sense something was wrong with me. I'm still having a great deal of nausea, unfortunately but I am SO glad I am going home. I feel that if I can just get a good nights sleep I might actually feel better.

Thanks all for the beautiful support and encouraging words I am reading. You are all so kind! I haven't been on much, since I got home Wednesday. I've been working hard on just keeping afloat. :)

I'm actually starting to feel a bit better, everyday a little improvement, and I am thankful for all the improvements, no matter how small or big.

I'm healing. Fighting dehydration ...the antibiotics are doing their usual number on my belly and colon. shakes fly right through me, but dang it, I'm going to make it. fight it, kick that infection out, and carry on with my life!

I bought a treadmill, I'm so excited to get moving in serious ways. I am retaining a lot of Water in my legs and feet, from being on iv fluids so long, (but that is probably helping me stay hydrated)....I can tell from how my clothes fit I am losing already.

Thanks again for all the positive encouraging words.

@@maureenm That's so scary! I hope all is well now.