Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm new here, and I just finished orientation. They said it can take 6 to 8 months before surgery can be scheduled. How do you pass the time? I know there will be multiple visits in between, but how do you wait so long? What keeps you motivated?

I feel like I lost a lot of time because I spent months researching the surgery to figure out if it's something I really wanted. I decided to go through with it, and now it feels like a long wait! But even though it's a long wait, I know that I made a good choice and I'm proud of myself for taking the first step.

That's a long wait! I went in March and had surgery in May.

I started on December 26th and finally had surgery September 29th.

I used that time to begin to build good habits and stop all my bad habits.

I believe I have had no complications because I was well prepared and followed instructions.

It is a long time and near the end, those last 2 months of waiting were the hardest. But in the end it was all well worth it.

Good luck to you!

Maybe start practicing! Read up on pre-op, post-op diets, start tasting Protein Shakes (don't buy in large quantities, taste buds change after WLS, so just sample for now!), clean out your pantry of all the no-no's, practice eating as if you already had the surgery (chew chew chew!!!), try eating Protein first, in the amounts typical of sleevers' (2 ounces to start, 1 cup or so for the most), start planning for cute clothes/styles you would like (this is the fun part!), read lots of books on the subject, make a list of things to purchase for the surgery (ninja-type blender, small containers for food, baby foods...), research where to get your protein shakes/unflavored protein powders, find a gym or exercise program that will work for you-something you will REALLY like ....there's all kinds of things to do to prep for this. Good luck to you on your journey!!!

I agree with the others try to develop good eating habits before the surgery and you should do well afterwards.

Agree with @@CanyonBaby and @@Djmohr prepare prepare prepare. You can educate yourself and change your eating habits now. More Protein and veggies, less fat and carbs. I started the journey end of January and had surgery May 15th, went into surgery 45 pounds down. Thanks to that head start I have less (but still a lot lol) to lose after surgery.

I also started a journal so I can look back on this later. I have loved recording my journey.

Look up recipes for after surgery. For your soft food phase etc.

The more prepared you are the more control you will feel.

Good luck and welcome!!

My first surgical visit was in September and I had LapBand surgery in March, so six months. My advice is to change one habit every three weeks and don't go back on it. For example: stop TV eating. Stop drinking with meals. Start logging food. Walk for 10-20 minutes every day. You get the idea. Don't do it all at once. Add a change and commit to it for life. Once it's a habit don't revert to old behavior. If you slip up, big deal. Get right back on the track with the very next meal.

Good luck!

I went to an information meeting in September and had surgery in February. One of my first appointments in the hoop jumping phase was the dietician. She had me eliminate all carbonated beverages, caffeine, eating on smaller plates, no eating while watching television, waiting between bites( put your fork down) etc., etc, etc. It really prepared me for life after surgery. So think of this time as a training period. It actually goes by quickly.

I am a fellow "waiter". I started the journey on March 1st and was devastated when I heard that it would take 6-8 months. But, I took the advise of all the "seasoned" folks here and am embracing my time. Just had my 3rd dietician visit today. Since I started, I have lost 29 pounds and of that, only one pound was not fat! I am trying to do exactly what I've been told. (OK...I am still having difficulty with not drinking before, during, and after meals....my challenge for this month is to not drink during meals and to wait 30 minutes after meals) I'll work on not drinking before meals next month. I've increased my step count every day to 8000 which for me is very good! I figure every pound I lose before surgery will allow me to be more healthy and hopefully recover sooner. Since this is going to be a lifetime thing, I have to not care how quickly (in my mind) I should achieve my normal weight and just know that this is a wonderful training time for me. Good Luck! In two years we will look back at this time and it will seem like such a short blip in time.

I had a 5 month wait for approval and 1 month til surgery. I made small changes, lost 26 lbs and got a regular exercise program going. Now that I'm 5 weeks post op, I don't even remember waiting! Good luck :)

I'm new here, and I just finished orientation. They said it can take 6 to 8 months before surgery can be scheduled. How do you pass the time? I know there will be multiple visits in between, but how do you wait so long? What keeps you motivated?

I feel like I lost a lot of time because I spent months researching the surgery to figure out if it's something I really wanted. I decided to go through with it, and now it feels like a long wait! But even though it's a long wait, I know that I made a good choice and I'm proud of myself for taking the first step.

I know exactly how you feel........

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/300489-fallacy-of-the-6-month-wait/

@@JustWatchMe your response was one we all need, especially about slipping up and getting back on the wagon!

My first appt was in Jan and I'm currently waiting on insurance approval, hopefully to have surgery mid-June. Frustrating right now b/c my last step before submitting was the psych eval and they held up faxing over the record for 2 weeks, despite repeated calls. Now it's been sitting at my surgeon's office another week and still has not been submitted!

I have been working on some of my bad habits, but I also have to be careful until my approval b/c my BMI is "only" 39.7. I am hoping my hypertension will be the co-morbidity that seals the deal, but the patient coordinator told me sometimes they don't accept that if it's well-controlled on just one medication. So I cannot lose much weight until I know I'm approved. So it's harder to be motivated on exercising and cutting out all the bad food if I'm afraid I might lose!