Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vacationing after surgery.

Hi yaw! I judt got approved for surgery and got my date (may 18th)yesterday. I was soooo thrilled that I didn't stop and think about anything else. Well back in October we scheduled our family vacation for June 1st leaving on May30th!!!! I'm not worried about the food part, but the pain part. I really can't reschedule vacation because everyone has already taken off work and. I do not want to push off surgery!! Think I'll make it???

Yes, I really think you will be fine.

I guess I would have to ask first, what are you doing on your vacation? That will make a difference on how well you'll be able to handle it.

Probably the biggest concern would be how weak you feel in that first month post op. In particular the first 14 days. The other thing would be making you remain hydrated which is very difficult to do under normal circumstances.

It really would depend on what your vacation is?

I had zero pain after the gas was gone about 4 days post op...BUT I ended up in the ER at 11 days post op with severe dehydration, a UTI and pneumonia in both lungs. Now, 2 days later, I feel pretty darn good and I'd be up for a vacation now lol I guess just be prepared for anything though, I never expected the dehydration or that it would be SO hard to get my fluids in. The pneumonia, it happens, luckily it was caught quick.

I guess I would have to ask first, what are you doing on your vacation? That will make a difference on how well you'll be able to handle it.

We are going to gatlinburg then Myrtle Beach. Mainly some walking and seeing shows. I won't be going anywhere that I can't take a break if need be. I know I probably can't go swimming and all that, Fluid won't be a problem we have a cooler tht I pack down with Water anyway for al of us.

We are going to gatlinburg then Myrtle Beach. Mainly some walking and seeing shows. I won't be going anywhere that I can't take a break if need be. I know I probably can't go swimming and all that, Fluid won't be a problem we have a cooler tht I pack down with Water anyway for al of us.

You say Fluid won't be a problem, but read the hundreds of posts on here about how much of a struggle it really is. You have zero appetite and zero desire to put anything in your mouth at all. It's like a job to keep drinking, its truly hard! Luckily I don't get nauseous like a lot of others do and mine goes down without feeling stuck again like some other feel but it's still hard work. Also expect very low energy the first couple weeks and when I say low, I mean I needed a nap after I took a shower because that was too much for me! I'm not trying to scare you or say it's not possible, just saying expect that it might not be as easy or as relaxing as you hope.

I know putting off the surgery isn't what you want to do; however, it might be the best option. If you aren't feeling good on your vacation then it won't be fun for you or your family. Just my opinion.

I know putting off the surgery isn't what you want to do; however, it might be the best option. If you aren't feeling good on your vacation then it won't be fun for you or your family. Just my opinion.

I have a few adults going. My main focus is my kids having fun so if I needed to hang back a while or take a break they said they would help me out.

You will be fine. After a week it's no pain. Just watch what you eat.

I have my list already made out of What I need to take:) thank you for your support :)

You say Fluid won't be a problem, but read the hundreds of posts on here about how much of a struggle it really is. You have zero appetite and zero desire to put anything in your mouth at all. It's like a job to keep drinking, its truly hard! Luckily I don't get nauseous like a lot of others do and mine goes down without feeling stuck again like some other feel but it's still hard work. Also expect very low energy the first couple weeks and when I say low, I mean I needed a nap after I took a shower because that was too much for me! I'm not trying to scare you or say it's not possible, just saying expect that it might not be as easy or as relaxing as you hope.

Oh I meant having access to the fluid. My dad is going with me and he has had the gbp so he said he would help remind me to drink and get my Protein in as much as possible

One thing I would suggest based on some things my surgeon told us is to take some detailed instructions, contact info for your surgeon and share them with someone in your travel party. Just in case you wind up with complications or need to go to the ER. For example, don't let another Dr. give you NSAIDs or Steroids.

One thing I would suggest based on some things my surgeon told us is to take some detailed instructions, contact info for your surgeon and share them with someone in your travel party. Just in case you wind up with complications or need to go to the ER. For example, don't let another Dr. give you NSAIDs or Steroids.

I will definately do that!! Thank you for your reply!