Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How soon after surgery will they let you have ice chips or water?

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how soon they allowed you to have ice chips or Water after surgery? I have had quite a few surgeries, and never fail to have the worst possible dry mouth afterwards, and can barely speak because my mouth and throat get so dry.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. This is probably the biggest thing I am worried about. Surgery doesn't scare me, dry mouth does. LOL

Hi there!

As soon as I got to my room from recovery I was able to have ice chips. I was actually kind of afraid at the time not knowing if I would get sick but everything went great. A few hours later I was given a 2 tablespoon medicine cup of Water. That was interesting because again I was fearful of drinking anything right away. It all worked exactly as it was supposed to without problems. The next day I was given diluted apple juice, chicken broth, Popsicles and sf Jello. I did not feel much like eating because I simply was not hungry but staying hydrated is critical.

I remained on that diet for a week before I was able to introduce Protein shakes and creamed Soups.

I took a small bottle of Biotene with me. It's a lifesaver!! It made the hospital stay so much more bearable!

Almost right after surgery, I was able to have Water and ice chips. It seemed that right after surgery, the taste of Water changed and I could not tolerate drinking it. It tasted like chlorine. But the ice chips were good.

I was allowed one ice chunk an hour the first day. After the swallow test the next morning I was able to start on Clear Liquids, 1oz cup every 15 minutes. Morning 2 in the hospital I was allowed to try a Protein Shake

@carolm1965 It think this varies with doctor and surgery type. I had the SADI-S procedure so generally speaking you are NPO for at least 24 hours, unless you had an NG tube placed. I did have the tube and I was allowed ice chips, one small medicine cup full every hour. Once the tube was removed I was able to start drinking that was the upside. The downside was one the tube was removed oh man the gas hit.

You are all lifesavers, I feel so much better now. I am the queen of Water and ice. LOL

I'm always drinking Water anyway, but this makes me feel so much better that for the most part everyone here was allowed some ice chips. I'll check into the Biotene.

You are all so great! Thanks again. :)

The day of surgery I was allowed nothing to drink. I was allowed to rinse my mouth out with Water and mouthwash to keep from being too dry, but nothing i could swallow. The day after surgery I had a swallow test and an X-ray done to make sure i didn't have any leaks and that fluids were going where they were supposed to go. Immediately after that x-ray tech said I was good i begged for a cup of Water and went to town on water, unsweetened tea and ice chips for the rest of the day.

I wasn't allowed anything the day of surgery. they did give me these sticks with sponges dipped in a mouthwash type liquid I was able to swab my mouth with.they helped a lot.

I wasn't allowed any ice chips or Water until the next day when they made me drink this terrible drink and then X-rays to see if there was any leaks in my stomach I had the sleeve

I just had my surgery on 4 27 15 and I'm in pain can't lay down much I'm feeling so bad right now

I had horrible pain when I got home. It seemed like I was the only one willing to admit it. I have a really high pain threshold normally and this was unfathomable pain. But - and here's the good news! It gets MUCH better each day and now it is just discomfort - pressure.