Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone do outpatient surgery for VSG? How long were you in the hosp?

I got my insurance letter and it says approved for outpatient surgery. I know this seems like I stupid thing, but I never asked my surgeon how long I'd be in the hospital. I have called the office and hopefully will hear them tomorrow. I never considered I could be in and out in 1 day. Anyone else have this happen?

How long were you in for?

Is it what you expected?

Yep, I was on outpatient. In admitting at 6:00 am and left the hospital at noon. I could have stayed a little longer, but I was ready to go. I see more and more doctors and insurance companies doing outpatient - more than 18 months ago when I had my surgery. I had my doctor's cell number and we had the route to the local hospital mapped out.

I was in at 8am amd left by 4pm..could have left sooner if i would have peed sooner lol.im 7 weeks out with no complications

How do they do the leak test? Or so they do it while in the OR? My sister had hers done in TJ and was in for 2 nights. She had to do leak tests, had a drain, etc. just curious. Thanks!

I has mine On a Monday around 12 and went home the next day at 2pm

How do they do the leak test? Or so they do it while in the OR? My sister had hers done in TJ and was in for 2 nights. She had to do leak tests, had a drain, etc. just curious. Thanks!

I didn't have a drain. My doc did the leak test in the OR.

I had my surgery at 11am by Dr. Nicholson in Dallas and was released by 6pm. The leak test was done in the OR during the surgery which I thought was a big plus because I could drink immediately after surgery. I did not have a drain either. Good Luck to you!

Edited by TREVORSMOM

I was outpatient but I wish it had been over night.

Me. I went in at 7am and was out the next day at 3pm. That was considered outpatient for reasons I don't get. They wanted me to stay another night but I wanted to get home. Outpatient is defined differently be each insurance company.

My sister works at a hospital and says it's considered out patient as long as you are there for less than 24 hours. And they don't count the surgery or recovery time, only the time you are in your room. So while I was in the hospital overnight it was considered out patient. Weird, I know.

Surgery was around 9am. I went home at 2pm. They had me do a barium swallow to check for leaks before I left.

I was going to ask this same question. Since I'm self-pay, my surgeon has the option of outpatient in his surgical center. I'm saving a good bit of money this way. I was a little leery, but this seems fairly routine. Thanks.

I was in the hospital for one night. I can't imagine coming home the same day. I actually felt I needed an additional night....lots of discomfort.

I had surgery at 7am, discharged at 3. Leak test done in OR. So glad I didn't have to spend the night.