Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My BMI is only 28.2 with surgery scheduled!

Because my BMI was also 28, I had my VSG in Mexico on December 2012.

I reached my goal in 6 months and went below goal by 10 lbs,, for a total of 50 lbs. lost.

I have nothing but positive things to say about having this done. My whole life was a struggle with my weight and I had been heavier at various times, but decided to stop the madness!

Menopause, age and a lower metabolism had made it virtually impossible to lose any weight without this surgery.

I am maintaining my weight loss without any issues and determined to keep doing so.

I wear a size 0 and wouldn't give that up for anything!

If the surgeon is reputable, and sees a medical reason to do the surgery & you are willing to subject yourself to the risks of surgery & the subsequent lifestyle changes...then I don't see the problem. My BMI the day of surgery was 31 without comorbidities. Some people assume that a person with a BMI as low as yours is going to lose a ton of weight & be crazy skinny. I doubt it. Those of us with lower BMIs know how slow weight loss for us is.

Someone with a BMI of like 40 can't assume that a person with a low BMI will have the same rate or amount of weight loss as them. Thats comparing apples with oranges.

ETA: Also getting the surgery for me was more so about keeping the weight off for life rather than just losing the extra weight.

Edited by ProjectMe

You are smart to really think this through. A BMI of 28 is not a diagnosis that warrants a drastic surgery by current medical standards in the US. The benefits do not outweigh the risks from what you've said. Just because you have a skilled surgeon, you are not guaranteed to have no complications. Also, having WLS does not guarantee you will actually lose weight and keep it off - we still have to do that part for ourselves, so you need to make sure you are ready to commit to a permanent change. Go to the complications thread, read some real life stories, and see if you think the permanent, disabling complications people have had are things you are willing to live with. Only you know your personal risk tolerance, but most certainly, make an informed decision.

I'd almost rather have lap band instead.

Can I ask why?

I wouldn't be discouraged by the people who are saying your BMI is too low. Only you can determine what is best for YOU. None of us know your situation, how many times you've gained and lost weight in the past, what your current issues with food are, etc. Any surgery is a risk and you will have to work VERY hard afterward in order to see results. But if you truly feel it is what you need to lose weight and successfully keep it off, then that is between you and your surgeon. Lap-band is an option, but it is by no means an easier or less dangerous option. Do your research. Read these forums. And then make the best decision for YOURSELF.

Some are wondering why I would consider lap-band instead? Well, it is because a friend told me that her lap band was the best thing she had ever done. She said she could still go on a cruise and eat what she wanted by having the Fluid taken out and then after the trip she could get it filled back. I didn't know that was an option and I still want to enjoy family vacations and holiday dinners. From what it sounds, I would not get to do these things if I got the sleeve. I guess I'm not mentally ready for it. I'd rather have a band from what others have told me so that way if it doesn't work for me, I can have it removed. Does this sound correct?

Surgeons will only remove a LAP-BAND if it is failing, slipped, causing erosion, or other serious complications. They aren't going to remove it just because you aren't feeling it anymore.... It is major surgery to put it in AND have it removed.

I'm sleeved and going on vacation next week. I plan to fully enjoy myself and partake of the local food. You can definitely still enjoy special occasions and Holidays with the sleeve, you are just severely limited in how much you can eat. That would be the case with the band or the sleeve. Even an unfilled band causes significant restriction. Most people who get a band don't get their first fill for at least a couple months post-op, but still drop weight in those first couple of months because the unfilled band causes restriction of its own.

Definitely do some research on both options. At this point it sounds like you aren't ready to make an informed decision and this is not a decision to be made lightly.

There is a current thread entitled "amazed at the damage the lap did" or something like that.

Suggest looking at it to get an idea of what is possible. Yes there are possible serious complications with sleeve as well, but it sounds like you have the idea that lap band is something that it is most definitely not.

Good luck, speak with Dr Nicholson about it. He is an excellent surgeon. :)

:)

Edited by woo woo

Correction everyone, my BMI is 29. Just got back from my OBGYN and she let me know that I've gained 10 lbs since I last saw her 6 months ago. She is concerned with my cholesterol levels as well as my weight gain over the last 5 years. However, she wants me to try Weight Watchers before I go through with WLS. I've tried weight watchers before and it didn't work for me. I just seem to struggle with my weight and can't lose it. I'm worried about becoming a diabetic like my other family members. Anyone have a jump start diet they know of that would possibly work? I think I will try and see what I can do once again on my own for the next several months and if I can't do it, then I will opt back to the sleeve. I was just hoping to be a little smaller for swimsuit weather coming up. ????

It's not too late for swimsuit season for you! Losing weight is hard work, with or without surgery, for sure. There are a million diets out there, so you just have to find one you can actually do. I guess one suggestion is to eat a diet like WLS people need to eat. Protein first, non starchy vegetables, limit carbohydrates. Of course you'd need a little more food, but count the calories and keep them to around 1200. I think many of us have learned that the carbohydrates cause cravings and lead to increased consumption and slow weight loss. Of course, don't forget to increase your activity, and drink your Water.

Incidentally, losing just 10% of your body weight greatly reduces your risk for obesity related conditions. Good luck.

Thank you so much for your helpful advice. I think I will just try doing the pre-op and post-op diet to get me started and then gradually increase Protein along with veggies and low carbs. Maybe I'll even find some good recipes to cook with that my family could also enjoy. :)

i did not read the whole thread... but you have got to be freaking kidding me! This is not an insult to the original poster, but bariatric surgery is for those of us suffering from the disease of obesity. Surgery helps us CONTROL and manage our symptoms (ie we lose weight) but we are always people with the disease of obesity. Once you have been morbidly obese, your body is changed permanently.

This is no joke, it is serious business. It is relatively safe, but people can DIE. People can have complications that ruin their lives for months, if not YEARS. For someone like me, it was worth taking the risk and it paid off big time. I lost like... 160 pounds, not 20-30 - no complications, but it is still hard at times. i am so thrilled, I would do it 100 times over, my life is so much better now but OMG - I was DYING of obesity not just a bit chubby.

Seriously, no disrespect intended, but this is the WRONG PATH for someone who is just a little overweight.

I understand what you are saying but the fact is that she needs to lose 50 pounds not 20. For someone that is struggling, 50 pounds might as well be 150. I don't see a problem with it and feel it's really between her and her doctor.

Aside from that, she stated that she has decided to wait and try diet and exercise again.

I disagree with the tone of your post, I feel it dismisses the struggles and health challenges of anyone that isn't "super" obese. Medical views are really changing on this issue and are finding this surgery can be safe and effective for lower bmi obese individuals (OP is at a 29 bmi).

I have to agree! Even though I had my surgery with a BMI of 28, I had weighed much more and I was on my way up. By the previous poster's point of view maybe I should have waited until my BMI got up as high as hers before I had surgery. No thank you! I have struggled with my weight for my entire life. I was the heaviest child in grammar school and I weighed 103lbs. at 8 yrs.old.

Please understand that I had multiple experiences losing weight but I was unable to keep it off.

My surgery and recovery have been uneventful.

Everyone has an opinion and this is mine.