Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My BMI is only 28.2 with surgery scheduled!

My total out of pocket would have been $6500 and that includes all visits for up to 2 years as well as reconstruction surgery. My insurance would have covered the rest.

I think you will do well in whatever you decide. Good luck.

Yes "woo woo" you are correct. I have elected NOT to do the surgery, but if I did, then "Cleo's mom" I would only be responsible for $50 for the dietician. If any complications should arise from the sleeve, it would be completely covered through insurance. I have already done that check. However, now that I'm out $3000 for just having the EGD, I thought I'd ask if I could go ahead and do the hernia repair along with possibly another elective surgery like Lipo. That way, I wouldn't feel like I totally wasted my money.

Well, best of luck to you with your decision(s). Does the $50 dietician fee mean than all the other pre op tests usually required for the sleeve are also required for hiatal hernia repair (except for dietician)? If you don't mind answering, since you already indicated how much you paid for the EGD - how much was the sleeve going to cost you? You don't have to answer if you don't want to. I was just curious.

But again, I hope things work out for you. :)

I have a friend who just went the same route with the same surgeon. No nutritional counseling or psychological testing prior to surgery required because they are not using insurance to cover the sleeve portion of the surgery and these requirements are just insurance requirements for some. This surgeon is known to be an excellent surgeon but not sure good at cutting means good at long term success. Just my opinion and why I have chosen another doctor. Having said that, my friend is doing very well (only 6 weeks out). It may work for her just fine. For me, without the counseling, I will never be successful at this.... (PS - the sleeve was done on an outpatient basis - home same day - first appt wasn't for 3 weeks - not the way I want to go). This isn't a post against Dr. Nick. Just to say it not the best choice for me.