Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Marijuana and Life after Bariatric Surgery

Hey guys 6 days out still not getting the munchies lol but it does help with the pain and nausea. Hoping the indigestion hoes away soon I'm so uncomfortable how are the rest of you doing?

Hi Dawn Turpin,

Good to know that it helps. Hopefully the pain and nausea will subside soon for you. I'm still in the pre-op phases of doctor appointments, but I will be tuning in on other experiences. I know for some - they feel nothing at all and are up and about, and then you have some who do experience, pain, gas nausea and other uncomfortable feelings. Every person is different.

Thanks for sharing.

I have smoked before WLS and after. I have not had a case of the munchies, but I also haven't had most of the same thoughts about food as I did before surgery. Food is not as all consuming as it once was. So being high is being high without the munchies (for me). I find that when high, it's also a lot easier to get more fluids in. I have not had alcohol since surgery, that was more of a trigger for me to overeat then pot was.

My doctor don't want me to smoke anything no weed no cigarettes....that is hard cause I can't even use Patches but I know I'm so serious cause I'm a two week non smoker today

My doctor don't want me to smoke anything no weed no cigarettes....that is hard cause I can't even use patches but I know I'm so serious cause I'm a two week non smoker today

I had to quit smoking cigarette too. Doing chantix.

My doctor don't want me to smoke anything no weed no cigarettes....that is hard cause I can't even use Patches but I know I'm so serious cause I'm a two week non smoker today

Congrats Ms. Babyboo,

I have never had no issues using marijuana on and off - I only have used it sparingly. Although I don't smoke cigarettes, I think dealing with letting go of cigarettes is another animal. I kind of feel that way with coffee - I have not had my surgery yet, but just the thought of letting go of coffee is killing me - not to mention the mondo headache that will be with me for 3 days before it finally subsides. Be sure to follow your doctor's advice as it will help in your weight loss success.

Thanks for sharing and keep us posted!

Congrats Ms. Babyboo,

I have never had no issues using marijuana on and off - I only have used it sparingly. Although I don't smoke cigarettes, I think dealing with letting go of cigarettes is another animal. I kind of feel that way with coffee - I have not had my surgery yet, but just the thought of letting go of coffee is killing me - not to mention the mondo headache that will be with me for 3 days before it finally subsides. Be sure to follow your doctor's advice as it will help in your weight loss success.

Thanks for sharing and keep us posted!

Hey did you get surgery yet I got my date for June 28th and I let go of the cigarettes which is good they are horrible but the weed I'm gonna smoke again after surgery only because I like it and it helps with so many different things like nausea pain poor appetite depression etc.

I swear cigarettes are such a drug. Hard very hard to put down. But in order to get this have to quit. I understand why. My neighbor died a cpl months ago after this surgery. And was 3 days post op smoking, got blood clot and died. Man was in late 30s. So very important

I swear cigarettes are such a drug. Hard very hard to put down. But in order to get this have to quit. I understand why. My neighbor died a cpl months ago after this surgery. And was 3 days post op smoking, got blood clot and died. Man was in late 30s. So very important

I would imagine that smoking cigarettes would put anyone at a very high risk of complications. I do think that marijuana has different elements compared to tobacco, but I can understand the overall risk of maybe smoking and would think that Doctors know best when they give their recommendations.

Thanks for sharing

I am 5 days away from the big day and I still smoke buds but the doc said after not to because the smoke can possibly irritate the new sleeve and then the coughing won't feel so good either. So I have been doing my own research and have learned that vaping would not cause smoke irritation or coughing. I will be testing this theory and let you know my experience. Also to the haters, Marijuana is not a drug, it is an herb from the earth and has been used medicinally for centuries so don't go rolling it into the bad category's before you know your facts. I quit smoking cigarettes 3 yrs ago cold turkey! It wasn't too hard even though I used to smoke a pack every 2 days for the past 25 yrs. be strong to those are and trust me you will thank yourself later and breathe better too! ????

Edited by Gr33ni3

I am 5 days away from the big day and I still smoke buds but the doc said after not to because the smoke can possibly irritate the new sleeve and then the coughing won't feel so good either. So I have been doing my own research and have learned that vaping would not cause smoke irritation or coughing. I will be testing this theory and let you know my experience. Also to the haters, Marijuana is not a drug, it is an herb from the earth and has been used medicinally for centuries so don't go rolling it into the bad category's before you know your facts. I quit smoking cigarettes 3 yrs ago cold turkey! It wasn't too hard even though I used to smoke a pack every 2 days for the past 25 yrs. be strong to those are and trust me you will thank yourself later and breathe better too!

Thanks for sharing - Good luck on your surgery and keep us updated!

I am 5 days away from the big day and I still smoke buds but the doc said after not to because the smoke can possibly irritate the new sleeve and then the coughing won't feel so good either. So I have been doing my own research and have learned that vaping would not cause smoke irritation or coughing. I will be testing this theory and let you know my experience. Also to the haters, Marijuana is not a drug, it is an herb from the earth and has been used medicinally for centuries so don't go rolling it into the bad category's before you know your facts. I quit smoking cigarettes 3 yrs ago cold turkey! It wasn't too hard even though I used to smoke a pack every 2 days for the past 25 yrs. be strong to those are and trust me you will thank yourself later and breathe better too!

Thanks for sharing - Good luck on your surgery and keep us updated!

I am 2 wks out as of tomorrow from surgery and feeling good my energy level is rising. But I know this thread is not for that lol so what you have been wondering. So my sister flew out to help me for my first wk and she brought me a vape pen indica and the after surgery when I got home I smoked it and it honestly helped my pain more than the Percocet I was prescribed. I am still smoking my regular bud and seems I'm doing fine. I smoked the pen thru my first wk and had my post follow up last Wednesday and lost 33 lbs since surgery day but I think it's since the beginning of the 2 wk liquid diet. Any how I weighed myself on the scale at work today and another 18 lbs down! I can't wait for the holidays to see what I look like this is exciting!!