Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Marijuana and Life after Bariatric Surgery

Actually - it is addictive, but it isn't the actual weed that is - its the habit, who you're doing it with or not with - when you do it... thats the addiction. I'm a purely social smoker - I only smoke with others. and that means that if we're not smoking (with someone I'm used to smoking with) I get bored and start craving it. Yes, I can ignore it - as I don't have an addictive personality, but I have a roommate that does and he can't go more then a couple hours without smoking because it helps keep him calm.

and I've seen how some of my friends who would smoke regularly would act slightly different when they aren't smoking and then smoke - then see them act completely different personality wise when they haven't smoked in months. Example is actually my sister - when she was smoking all the time and then on the days she wouldn't she'd be easily irriated and easily annoyed vs when she would go months without smoking - she'd have a lot more patience.

it affects everyone differently, and it depends on the person on if its addictive or not. The actual 'drug' may not be - but your habits make it so.

Anyhow - I originally started readg thispost because I wanted to see how ppl that have had the surgery dealt with smoking afterwards. Basically, I'm seeing it depends on the person - so I just have to keep in mind when I do, nothing but Water :D

@@JupiterinVirgo said ...

People fearing the munchies are non-smokers. Like anything else, it's what you make of it. Marijuana does not force you to eat, and it isn't addictive.

Oh yeah?

Marijuana does make many people eat -- and eat a LOT!

It doesn't matter whether marijuana is "addictive" or not. For some people marijuana becomes an irresistible habit that's socially reinforced quite strongly because those they associate with friends / companions who smoke it. Like social drinkers, they become social marijuana smokers. And for those in whom marijuana triggers significantly increased appetites, marijuana can be a real barrier to weight loss.

This doesn't make marijuana a bad thing in itself. But it does make the use of marijuana incompatible with weight loss -- for some people.

As is often said on this message board, your experience is your experience. It doesn't mean everyone else will have the same experience you have had.

'People fearing the munchies are non smokers' . That actually mAkes me laugh. I used to smoke in my teens to my early to mid twenties. After smoking I could house a tray of pizza no questions asked. I'm not saying that weed made me do it but it lowered my inhibitions to say no that's probably not good to do and made me feel so hungry I could do it. I have nothing against weed, I'm just personally over the whole thing. You do you, but you just may want to rethink how you word your phrases. Everyone is different and reacts differently, and as different people we are going to answer differently than someone else. Just take every advice as it comes .. You don't have to take the advice if you don't like it :) good luck with everything

No carbs, no calories. Once American women figure this out, it will be legal everywhere. Just saying. (After being in professional politics for 30+ years I have figured out that what women want eventually becomes the law of the land. Doubt me at your peril. It just takes longer than it should because males make up 90% of the legislative bodies and every married woman knows how well we listen).

This is a very long post so i haven't been able to read all of the comments but I'm curious to ask if I'm the only person out there who doesn't want to eat after smoking? I never get the munchies I just feel relaxed. I'm a stress eater so I think this is why it helps me. Also I don't smoke much at all. Anyone else like this?

You just need to find the right strain that works for you! Not all of them will make you hungry, and if it does just make good choices and eat healthy. There are tons of doctors prescribing meds every day. A lot of the side effects are increased hunger and weight gain. This thread (well, the ignorant comments) made me laugh!:) So thankful for my cannabis script;)

This is a very long post so i haven't been able to read all of the comments but I'm curious to ask if I'm the only person out there who doesn't want to eat after smoking? I never get the munchies I just feel relaxed. I'm a stress eater so I think this is why it helps me. Also I don't smoke much at all. Anyone else like this?

No you aren't the only one . I don't get hungry . I actually get pretty productive with sativa and I like to use indicas to sleep at night .

@@shykneehighknee This is a facinating area. @@LColandrea is right about the different strains. One of the interesting things about legalization in Colorado is now there is REAL scientific testing of pot. How much THC is in it (akin to proof on liquor) as well as other factors. Also the medical pot people did a great job on showing how different strains affect people differently. I happen to do a great deal of work in Colorado, and I'm amazed at the entrepreneurial/regulatory effect of legalization.

If you have not taken time to look at the sites dealing with pot, take a look: http://www.thecannabist.co/2014/03/09/tests-show-thc-content-marijuana-edibles-inconsistent/6421/

This is a very different era and one worth watching. It changes the discussion you have with your kids over drugs. It's not a "You can't because it's against the law." Now the discussion is "why would you want to? What do you hope to have happen?" I think it could be very productive. That's my hope. My worst nightmare is very different.

I smoke for pleasure and to lessen pain. I use topicals to lessen pain and soften skin. For me it is an amazing healer of body and mind! I intend to continue marijuana use after my wls. Everyone is free to choose how or if they use it. Even my mom and grandma use a cannabis salve I make! ???? ✌

Thanks so much for posting this! Regardless of negative opinions, topics like this are a reality for some people, and I'm happy for a free and open outlet to discuss them. Thanks for your courage in posting this, and I'm sorry for some of the negative back lash. Don't be ashamed to own your truth. I'm sure throughout a lot of our lives, we've dealt with very hurtful opinions of our weight, and how we got to be our original sizes, and the choice to overcome our weight via surgery. As we all know, it's not about anyone else's opinion, this is something we had to do for ourselves. Keep being honest :D

It has less calories than wine!

Edited by TxStella

Uh ... just because someone doesn't agree with your use of marijuana doesn't mean they're "bashing" you. It generally means they wouldn't use marijuana themselves and they and you disagree on this topic.

That is all.

Welcome to the Internet.

It would appear to me that MONEY is what is going to change the legalization of marijuana. I'm very glad some serious scientific testing is being done.

There are many ill people who have the right to try a plant derivative as an option to serious pain, sleep disorders, nausea etc. ....now with tinctures and edibles it is even more conducive to testing.

Colorado has more money now, and had talked about a permanent fund annual payment to residents ( similar to alaska).

Amazing the difference in my lifetime!

Education is power. And please don't confuse this for any endorsement for anyone underage. That is not what a developing brain needs.

Adults? Lots of options.