Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Marijuana and Life after Bariatric Surgery

I am 4 months post op and i smoke weed every day . I started 2 weeks post op . I don't get the munchies I feel it's something mental and I can control it . It relaxes me and it's just something I choose to do. It hasn't affected me in any way I am 70 + lbs down . So that's my experience and my opinion and everyone is entitled to one :)

Can you say Munchies...... :)

Everyone has their own opinion, I however struggle with munchies too much, and its not munchies for carrot sticks. Lol

Edited by FLLyssa

I have friends that smoke after the bypass.Did not effect the weight loss.. Be carefull though ..hehe.just make sure you have healthy munchies handy...make sure you are far out from surgery date.I am guessing that the smoke will cause gassss.no one likes gas pains...

Thanks Petunia for sharing, I have smoked on off and I find it great for relaxation. Some have shared that it even helps with their nausea, pain and insomnia. Some have also shared that maybe waiting a few weeks or months would be best, what are your thoughts?

I am 6 weeks post op and I smoke Marijuana I had the bypass. I have bipolar and depression. Marijuana helps me sleep and relax. Sometimes I get the munchies but then I drink a Protein Shake. It's simple only you know you and if you find you have a problem with it quit Marijuana is not addicting.

I tried pot at a teen and hated it. I am now in my forties, have VSG 2 years ago. I started having horrible shoulder pain about 6 months in. Turn out I have terrible arthritis and will need a should replacement. My pain control options are narcotics, nsaids, or pot. Narcotics come with a whole load of problems. Nsaids are a no-no with bariatric surgery, however doc gave me a pass to allow me to take. And pot works the very best. However it does make me very hungry. I did not re-gain do to pot, but I do not continue to lose when I am using it. When the pain is bad, I use pot each evening. I am not able to sleep without it due to the pain.

I would say stay away from it. If makes it possible to eat much larger portions than without it. It seems like I do never get very full after a full portion.

STAY AWAY!!! No use going through all the trouble of the surgery to throw it away with the side effects of marajuana. For me, I will continue to use till I have my replacement surgery which should be later this year,

It has caused no problem. No uncontrollable munchies.

I am 6 weeks post op and I smoke Marijuana I had the bypass. I have bipolar and depression. Marijuana helps me sleep and relax. Sometimes I get the munchies but then I drink a Protein shake. It's simple only you know you and if you find you have a problem with it quit Marijuana is not addicting.

Thanks gravesmisty69 for sharing,

I think making the healthy choices even when prompted with hunger will be key. Someone else said they also got munchies, but had some Peanut Butter and celery.

@@jadama22 - I'd say hold off for now. It probably goes in the same boat as alcohol which also needs to be put on hold. So ask your nutritionist about when you can drink again and stick to that.

Thanks OP for posting. This is helpful. I think like others have said, it depends on the strain. I've never had the munchies with it - usually it just helps me fall asleep. So great for pain and relaxation.

bottom line is ......its your body and your life. It is NOT going to hurt you if you smoke a little weed every now and then.

This is a tough one, and I don’t use marijuana so I can’t speak from personal experience. Like the others, I would worry about two things. One would be the possibility of a replacement addiction – would you start to depend on marijuana more frequently for a high if you were not using food to get a high?

My other concern would be if using marijuana made you eat more, whether from increased appetite or from decreased inhibition. If you are planning to continue to use it only once a week and you are aware of the risks of overeating, maybe you can take steps to prevent overeating, such as eating a salad that night.

This definitely sounds like something you should ask your doctor, and also ask about the immediate post-surgery stage when you are recovering. Good luck!

Wow some of you could benefit from a puff or two...pissy much?!! Lol!!! Are you in a legal State? If so ask your DR. I don't smoke it but my brother is a marijuana grower in Colorado. A lot of people do/can benefit from it. I'm not sure about after WLS though. If my brother ever gets the surgery I'll let Ya know :)

Edited by Elode

Hysterical! Love this!