Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

An extremely long time before surgery (insurance imposed)

I finally decided to get WLS. Attended my first group meeting the beginning of the month (March 2015). I turned in all my paperwork and finally had my phone interview yesterday (March 18th) only to discover that my insurance company required a minimum of 6 months working with a nutritionist. The first time I can get in for my first module is April 15th which means I won't even qualify for the surgery until the middle of October. This has me a little discouraged (OK...maybe a lot discouraged!) Have any of you had a similar experience and how did you handle it?

Most insurance companies require the 6 month nutrition period. My insurance company waived the 6 months period if your BMI is over 50. Fortunately and unfortunately my BMI was over 50 so I did not have to do it. Went to my seminar in October, surgery is scheduled for April 28th.

Yes. I could have written this post myself a couple of years ago! The 6 month professionally assisted diet is a requirement for most of us unfortunately. (Myself included). You'd think a lifetime of documented obesity and an armload of prescriptions that are only half controlling weight related issues would be enough for them! Some insurance companies are relaxing that requirement, but not all are on board. :-(

BUT... The good news is, IT IS WORTH THE WAIT! So jump through their hoops and use the time to educate yourself. Take off what weight you can in the 6 months so you're as healthy as possible for surgery. Wean yourself off soda\caffeine NOW, (that alone took me 6 months). Hang in there!

yep! luckily for me, I had coworkers who went through the process, and warned me. I started monthly weigh in visits with my PCP prior to the first of the year when I took out the insurance, so I had the hard part done.

Most insurance companies still have time period of nutrition counseling before surgery will be approved. It was frustrating when I was eager to have surgery done and just wanted to be losing weight quickly. However, I am so glad I had to go through the waiting period. It gave me time to start building healthy habits before surgery and break some bad ones. It is going to feel like the 6 months are taking forever to pass and a waste of time. Take this work seriously and work the process. It will only help you be more successful after surgery. Hang in there and get through it. You will be on the loser's bench before you know it.

I just started my 6 month NUT visits. Luckily for me, when I had my first appointment with my surgeon, she had a NUT there to meet with me also, so that counted as my first months weigh in. So technically mine will just be 5 months. My last weigh in will be in August. It is discouraging but also gives you time to get everything else done required by insurances. I have to have an EGD, psych eval, echo, sleep study, visit with a gyno, etc. Hang in there and know that you aren't alone!

I'm in the same boat. I knew my insurance required the 6 months. I tried to get them to count my recent months doing Weight Watchers but since I didn't see my PCP each month it will not count. That really bummed me out. So I have my first appointment with the bariatric dietician/nutritionist this coming Monday. I'm probably looking at September for soonest possible surgery. I am weaning off diet soda now - have gone from about 5-6 every day to only about 1-3 a week right now. Drinking lots of Water (never did that before) and experimenting w different Protein Drinks. I hope these 6 months go fast!!!

Edited by KS123

Unless you're in the bmi>50 (and I think some insurance companies want it to be even higher) almost all require 6 months or so of classes. Depending on your surgeon, you'll also need an EKG, EGD, a sleep study (if there's a possibility of undiagnosed sleep apnea), a chest x-ray, and clearance from a pulmonologist. It takes time, but it's worth it.

My insurance require 6 months of documented weight management visits. The time really does pass by quickly. It gives you time to physically and mentally prepare. My surgery is scheduled for April 14th 2015 and I can't believe it's so close. Good luck!

One thing for sure, once you are done completing all the requirements, and jumping through all the insurance hoops, you will know that this is the right step for you (or that it is not the right step for you) Some people give up. Those people probably wouldn't do well with the surgery, because once you have the procedure done, there's no going back. There's no saying, "I don't like this afterall, This is too hard, it's taking too long, I think I'll just eat the way I did before". Once you have the surgery, you're committed to this lifestyle change!

@@MarciaN - I felt the same way you did! Unfortunately we're all in the same boat together! My journey began in January with my first visit with my surgeon. I had to sign up for six months of "Healthy Lifestyle" appts. and they gave me a list of the perquisites that needed to be accomplished before my surgeon would approve my surgery. (Cardiologist, psych, one group session). etc.

Six months seems like such a long time, but with all the appointments I had to do for my cardiologist, required two psych appts. and group - along with my monthly weigh-in appts. the first four appts. have flown by! My meeting with my surgeon counted as my first weigh in, so I was able to get two weigh-ins done in January! After my next appt. next week - I'll only have two more appts.

Since I decided to have this surgery, I've spent a lot of my time online doing research about the sleeve. I've watched YouTube videos of people who've had the surgery, and spend a lot of time reading posts on mybariatricpal.com! I've also read The Big Book of Gastric Sleeve and it's got a lot of great info! I've also researched Protein drinks and read countless reviews on which ones are the best.

I look at the six months as a blessing! It's really helped me to gear up and be ready for what lies ahead of me - once I'm on the loser's bench! Good luck!

Hi, my insurance is a 3 month wait. And there have been times that it was sooooo long! But now i have my last appointment April 10! It feels like it flew by (if that makes sense). Since I decided to get surgery in November, I went through a lot of different emotions, food funerals, weight gain, and acceptance. Looking back I think I really do need this time to prepare myself for this transition. I know what I want, and I am figuring out ways to deal with my emotional eating habits before the big day. I am hopeful it is going to help me tremendously. Take this time to focus on yourself and really deal with the issues you personally have with food. The time goes by faster than you think : ) good luck!

I have 6 months required as well. I should have my last appointment in July- my goal is to try and get it done the first week of July. I view it as a chance to get my head in the game before the surgery, and give another 6 months to make sure I want to make this life altering decision. It is frustrating to put it off, but I am trying to embrace the positives.