Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to Bypass.....a few comparison questions!

Hi Everyone!

One of the Many things I didn't like about the band was that I never experienced what I would call a "satisfied belly" feel. I would stop when no longer hungry of I'd vomit.

My RNY is two weeks from Mo day and I'm wondering......unlike the band, do you feel full/satisfied as one would feel without the band or what is the sensation like after RNY?

Thanks!

Marieze

Yes! There is a big difference. I describe it as - with the band, I stopped because I was being "choked off," while with the bypass, I am truly full and satisfied. I remember feeling cheated with the band because I wanted to eat more but could not. With the bypass, I truly have no desire to eat more.

I find I can eat more sometimes and different foods that I could on the band. The band was great if you over eat but mine was a metabolism problem so the bypass is perfect for me. And my band moved during my pregnancy.

I am only 6 days post op but with an unsweetened applesauce (1/2 cup) I am full. I never felt full with the band until it was too late. I tried to use the hiccup rule but that did not work either-I was still hungry and not satisfied. I am praying BP will be different for the long haul.

I think Bypass is so much better! I love only eating a small amount and no issues except if I eat rice or dry meats. Sweets and fats give me a headache and just don't feel good so it's a great deterrent. Yes I can a small piece of chocolate but that's it because any more than that and I will be sorry ????????

This is really great stuff. I am about to have revision from banding (9years). I have been given the option by my surgeon, and am struggling to decide... but the more I read, the more I am leaning towards the bypass. I had issues with heartburn with the band, but they went away when i had my gallbladder removed. So i wasnt sure if it would come back with the sleeve or not. I have also read a number of people who have gone from band to sleeve say they don't have the restriction they were expecting. I think that would be devastating, if after all Ive been through in the last year, to finally decide, and things dont work.

Id be interested to hear what, if any, deciding factors swayed anyone else to the bypass instead of the sleeve?

Id be interested to hear what, if any, deciding factors swayed anyone else to the bypass instead of the sleeve?

I chose the bypass because I had reflux with the band, because I wanted the additional benefit of malabsorption, and because I wanted to go "tried and true" this time. I went with latest and greatest when I got the band 11 years ago, and that didn't prove to be a good choice.

My answer would be exactly the same as Notinks, with the addition of the fact that there is no adjusting/fills that are needed for the bypass so you come out of surgery with the process pretty much complete with the exception of recovery of course.

I'm having the bypass done next weekend, 6 months after having my band removed and I can't wait.

This is really great stuff. I am about to have revision from banding (9years). I have been given the option by my surgeon, and am struggling to decide... but the more I read, the more I am leaning towards the bypass. I had issues with heartburn with the band, but they went away when i had my gallbladder removed. So i wasnt sure if it would come back with the sleeve or not. I have also read a number of people who have gone from band to sleeve say they don't have the restriction they were expecting. I think that would be devastating, if after all Ive been through in the last year, to finally decide, and things dont work.

I had the band and loved it...well.. I loved that I lost weight ! lol I converted to sleeve because everyone said how great/wonderful/amazing it was BUT that was not the case for me! My "sleeve" was made large due to scar tissue and removing the band opened the flood gates so to speak. I could eat anything and everything and larger portions so I gained 40 lbs. Also, my body was already used to a restriction only procedure so it was less likely to work for me the second time not that I knew that then. Thursday I revised AGAIN to a mini bypass. I'm doing pretty good, but it's been emotionally very hard for me this time unlike the last two. I've had a little bit of freaking out wtf did I just do to my body kind of thoughts I'm trying to deal with. I have a crazy fear of dumping and getting sick !! Recovery is good though and I'm even back to work today but I do have almost constant headaches I can't kick yet..surgery wise though I feel fine. Best of luck to you!

That is REALLY good to hear! I had my band removed August 21, 2015 and having bypass on November 16th or 23rd, 2015. Almost here!!!

Yes! There is a big difference. I describe it as - with the band, I stopped because I was being "choked off," while with the bypass, I am truly full and satisfied. I remember feeling cheated with the band because I wanted to eat more but could not. With the bypass, I truly have no desire to eat more.

I had my band done in 2008 and never had problems with reflux until just about 2 or 3 months ago. I had it removed Aug 21st, 2015 and it got WAY worse. On meds until I have the bypass done. I have heard tooooo many people conplain about reflux with the sleeve or having to revise to the bypass due to not enough weight loss. Just skip the middle man and go for the GOLD! Just my opinion :)

Hi Everyone!

One of the Many things I didn't like about the band was that I never experienced what I would call a "satisfied belly" feel. I would stop when no longer hungry of I'd vomit.

My RNY is two weeks from Mo day and I'm wondering......unlike the band, do you feel full/satisfied as one would feel without the band or what is the sensation like after RNY?

Thanks!

Marieze

Hey Marieze,

I just had revision surgery from Lapband to RnY about 2 1/2 months ago. My experience so far is that the physical stomach hunger is greatly reduced.

That being said...I have been surprised at the amount of Emotional and Mental Hunger that still affects me.

I am an overeater because I turned to food at an early age as a way to cope with childhood trauma. By the time I was an adult, compulsive overeating was habitual.

My eyes still crave certain foods. My nose is temped when I encounter certain smells. My mouth sometimes desperately wants to taste what it shouldn't have. My mind is constantly trying to rationalize why it's ok to eat pretzels and carbs that are not on my diet. My heart still wants to eat because it used to be the way I would "treat" myslef when I was feeling pain and discomfort.

My point is that there are many different types of hunger. The surgery only supresses the physical.

The good news is that the reduction of physical hunger makes it so much easier to fight off the other urges. But I have to say that the best thing about the surgery is that the lapband is gone.

No more coughing all night long

No more hicupping all day

No more resorting to slider foods

No more acid reflux

No more intolerance of healthy food

So far RnY is WAY better than the Lapband...but for me....I still need to put in a lot of effort to stay on track.

I had the band and loved it...well.. I loved that I lost weight ! lol I converted to sleeve because everyone said how great/wonderful/amazing it was BUT that was not the case for me! My "sleeve" was made large due to scar tissue and removing the band opened the flood gates so to speak. I could eat anything and everything and larger portions so I gained 40 lbs. Also, my body was already used to a restriction only procedure so it was less likely to work for me the second time not that I knew that then. Thursday I revised AGAIN to a mini bypass. I'm doing pretty good, but it's been emotionally very hard for me this time unlike the last two. I've had a little bit of freaking out wtf did I just do to my body kind of thoughts I'm trying to deal with. I have a crazy fear of dumping and getting sick !! Recovery is good though and I'm even back to work today but I do have almost constant headaches I can't kick yet..surgery wise though I feel fine. Best of luck to you!

Clearly, Im an infrequent visitor to the site! but, thank you for the information. Id love to hear how you are getting on since the revision of the revision! I am still waiting on my surgery date, but have finally decided on the bypass option. Your comments really helped. (also my surgeon, after telling me it was my choice, told me it would have to be bypass anyway, because of the scarring from the band!) I have my final appt on the 22nd October, and have been pencilled in for a mid November surgery date. Its been over a year since they removed the band, and +20kg later, Im really looking forward to moving on.

Clearly, Im an infrequent visitor to the site! but, thank you for the information. Id love to hear how you are getting on since the revision of the revision! I am still waiting on my surgery date, but have finally decided on the bypass option. Your comments really helped. (also my surgeon, after telling me it was my choice, told me it would have to be bypass anyway, because of the scarring from the band!) I have my final appt on the 22nd October, and have been pencilled in for a mid November surgery date. Its been over a year since they removed the band, and +20kg later, Im really looking forward to moving on.

Unlike my first two surgeries, recovery from the bypass was very hard for me. I ended up with pneumonia in both lungs and the antibiotics made me super sick. I was miserable but thankfully after the first month all was well. I'm now almost 6 months out and doing great ! I've lost almost all the weight I wanted too, I was low BMI to begin with (189 day of surgery) and I'm now around 155-158 depending on the day. I would like to be about 10lbs less but I'm pretty happy where I am too. I had the Mini bypass so my bypass is actually almost 9', the only complaint or problem I have is that nothing stays with me long and I'm in the bathroom A LOT! Sometimes 10x a day I would say and it's very unpleasant lets just say without too much detail. I do stress about this at work and anytime I'm away from home unfortunately. Thankfully for the most part it has worked out that I tend to go mostly evenings and overnight and early morning but there have definitely been a few emergencies in the middle of the day as well. Other than that which is honestly more than I even expected, things are great! I eat whatever I want, yes I dump on anything too sweet or too fatty so I do avoid some things again especially if I'm away from home. Also, I think it's important to say I really have very little actual restriction, I can eat what I would consider a "normal" portion size of most things though occasionally I still get stuck just like I did with my band which is weird and doesn't happen often. Any specific questions i would be happy to try to answer.