Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Depression after the Gastric Sleeve

What brand are the B-12 Vitamins that you take? I could only find chewable but would love one's that dissolve so much better

Great to hear the blues are better, Tink! And I envy the weight loss progress. I'm 5 weeks out and a little sad over the change in my relationship with food. I love to cook, used to love to eat, but not enjoying the process of eating much. I miss enjoying food. Does that sound weird? Plus, I've had some stalls, making it seem even sadder ( all this for what?) Trying to focus on the joy of my pants falling down.

If I can get pictures to attach here.

post-245068-14311415503139_thumb.jpg

Guest nickyv35

Are you sticking to your dieticians recommended supplementation? Lack of D3 and B12? Increased levels of the stress-hormone cortisol can cause memory problems. I had to cut down on all my medications including statin drugs after surgery because after surgery my blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol dropped into the normal range. Statin drugs always seemed to affect my memory. Also, now my body thinks it doesn't need sleep so I had to switch to my exercise walking early in the day instead of at night. Not needing to nap during the day and being up most of the night is starting to affect my memory too. I'm only two-weeks post-surgery, but all the changes are making me a little blue and forgetful too. Good luck.

Guest nickyv35

Puree some Beans. Kidney, garbanzo, pinto, soy, and black Beans have a low glycemic load.

Avoid canned beans because so many have added hidden sugars.

Depending on the dry bean variety, this can take as long as 30 minutes on the stove top.

Peanuts are an excellent source of Protein along with cashews and other nuts.

As for beans making you fart, the more you eat beans over a period of time the more accustomed your body gets to breaking down the complex carbohydrates and dealing with the extra Fiber.

Otherwise, Beano helps.

Are you sticking to your dieticians recommended supplementation? Lack of D3 and B12? Increased levels of the stress-hormone cortisol can cause memory problems. I had to cut down on all my medications including statin drugs after surgery because after surgery my blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol dropped into the normal range. Statin drugs always seemed to affect my memory. Also, now my body thinks it doesn't need sleep so I had to switch to my exercise walking early in the day instead of at night. Not needing to nap during the day and being up most of the night is starting to affect my memory too. I'm only two-weeks post-surgery, but all the changes are making me a little blue and forgetful too. Good luck.

Yeah I never went away from the dietician recommendations. I mean honestly, the only thing I didn't do was buy my supplements from my physician's office. I'm now back on a fuller workout schedule, which includes walking no less than 2 miles at least once a day, and weight lifting about 3 times per week. Eventually my goal will be to do weights up to 5 days a week along with the cardo (walking, bike riding).

My next weight mile stone is under 300lbs, which I am hoping to hit before I see my surgeon again in July. That's about 50-55lbs away. I think the closer I get to that goal the more happier I'll be, which I am hoping will help with the depression I've been suffering through. BTW, the depression has been getting better. I want to honestly say that a lot of it has been due to me actually working out more, and spending time around family and friends that actually are encouraging me. Even the smallest of compliments help keep my mood on the positive side, especially when its one of those down days were my mind just wants to go to the gutter on things.

Edited by BigTink2LilTink

Puree some Beans. Kidney, garbanzo, pinto, soy, and black Beans have a low glycemic load.

Avoid canned beans because so many have added hidden sugars.

Depending on the dry bean variety, this can take as long as 30 minutes on the stove top.

Peanuts are an excellent source of Protein along with cashews and other nuts.

As for beans making you fart, the more you eat beans over a period of time the more accustomed your body gets to breaking down the complex carbohydrates and dealing with the extra Fiber.< /p>

Otherwise, Beano helps.

Thanks for the tip. I'm not quite sure I'm ready to go all beans out. But knowing this does help, and if not me now, maybe someone else whose looking for a way to get more Protein into their diet.

I'm still pre-op but I went through depression the last few months since about January.. I feel the fog lifting and i'm hoping I don't get depressed after surgery!

I'm happy to say that ever since my surgery, my depression and anxiety has lifted. I feel amazing, and so much better with 51 pounds off! I think it was mostly anxiety over the upcoming surgery.

I will say the brain fog/forgetfulness was terrible the first few weeks after surgery.. when my calorie counts were super low/around 300 and no carbs at all. I stay at lower carbs, but carbs from veggies and fruits help.. so does exercise.. like really getting the heart pumping really hard for 30-60 minutes..

Edited by Chrystee