Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Depression after the Gastric Sleeve

I am not sure I was depressed - but i felt "not myself, not quite human" for the first 12 weeks post op. It was sorta strange, like I felt as though I was an observer of my own life, kind of a surreal feeling. Is that depression? I have many theories as to why I felt that way, but it did pass. I would say by around 6 months post op I was becoming... jazzed, excited, happy, astounded even...

My theories of what causes that weird, unsettled feeling:

-Fat acts like a body organ and releases hormones. It is well documented that rapid weight loss releases stored estrogen. Sometiimes that makes people feel very emotional. I felt stupid, couldn't remember things etc

-Many of us probably used food to help "quiet" feelings. Could we perhaps be starting to "feel" some things were weren't used to feeling? how unsettling to wake up one day and realize that you just cannot, under any circumstances continue to live with XXXX in your life that you tolerated for a long time, with the help of a little food to bury your true feelings.

-Wow, it's kind of hard adjusting to the water/food/vitamin schedule. Felt like a freaking full time job. I was so huge nobody could even SEE my weight loss until I had lost about 50#.

So, those early months I was parting ways with a close friend (food and obesity), realizing aspects of my life really sucked and needed to change, spent huge energy on managing my food/water/activity/vitamins etc etc AND I was still HUGELY FAT. That kind of thing could get a girl down if she let it...

Everything you've said here is what I've been feeling lately. Like I'm an observer of my own life and I'm not really here until things go wrong and I have to react quickly. It's been very hard to put into words what's been going on with me lately, yet you were able to say exactly what it is that I've been going through.

I would say the last 4 weeks have been emotionally hard for me to deal with and cope. And no longer having the ability to eat my way happy, is more forcing me to deal with demons I wasn't strong enough to deal with in the past.

Just as a side note too because its interestingly similar in symptoms. When my thyroid count is off, i have these same exact symptoms. And its in charge of our hormones. Bet we r overloading by losing wt so drastically. Interesting. I will def keep my bloodwork up!

I am finding it hard to go to work, I just about can't imagine how I can get thru another day or two, tomorrow I'm calling surgeon or anyone, I need help in the worst way, ive never felt so down depressed and full of anxiety in my life, I need help, please pray for me I have two kids who depend on me, I just broke down in front of them so now it is all out in the open, my fiancee knows and its worried, I know anti depressants don't kick in for weeks, I dont know how I will cope until then honestly. I'm a private person but I need help and can't kick this...tears...

Edited by downsizingdiva

I really need more people to tell me this will get better and that it will pass please...

Edited by downsizingdiva

I am saying prayers for you right now hun. I am so sorry that you are feeling like this. Just take it minute by minute until you receive a call back from your doctor. If you cannot handle it til then, go to the hospital. They can draw bloodwork to see whats going on. And my antidepressants did not take that long to take effect. Do make sure to call your doctor and be totally honest with them. Hiding anything will not help you to get better, to feel better, or to be there for your family. Great big hugs

It will get better and it will pass.

I am pre-op so everything I know about post-op is from reading and research (including these boards).

But, I have battled depression for years and know what it's like to detox from food. I think you are going through a combination of physical and emotional changes that will definitely pass.

In the meantime:

Keep sharing your feelings. It's great that you let your kids and fiancée know how you are feeling. Journaling/writing is a great way to share your feelings, too.

Get outside. Sunlight does help.

Exercise also helps.

Definitely talk to medical professionals.

You also might want to consider Overeaters Anonymous. It's a 12-step group that can help you learn to cope and live life without numbing yourself with food.< /p>

Best of luck and keeps checking in here so we know how you are doing.

Edited to add: Stay hydrated.

Edited by Inner Surfer Girl

After a night of no sleep, vomiting nothing, more depression, anxiety andshivering, I left a message for my surgeon and I'm going to the ER. I can't go on I can't even go to work today, I hope they can help me.

After a night of no sleep, vomiting nothing, more depression, anxiety andshivering, I left a message for my surgeon and I'm going to the ER. I can't go on I can't even go to work today, I hope they can help me.

Good luck. I hope that you can get the help you're seeking.

I'm home now no surgery complications causing the nausea. I did get a prescription for antidepressant and anxiety and zofran. I have to eat more but I need more ideas of what to eat.

Edited by downsizingdiva

I am 8 weeks out I can eat anything, I'm just so nauseous nothing sounds good but I know I've got to eat. : (

Try to figure out what it is triggering your nausea as u eat. Is it texture, smell, firmness of the food?

Try standing up, take a tiny bite. Walk away. Get your mind on another task. Dont bend over. No drink. Make sure you do not lie down soon afterwards. Go get another tiny bite if it holds. Put your hands above your head as you swallow. It may look goofy, and if your kids are there just shout hooray for mommy to make it not so strange to them. ???? Make a game out of it.

Now I'm thinking it could be gallbladder. I'm not having an attack but nausea vomiting shakes and shivers and insomnia.