Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Depression after the Gastric Sleeve

I feel better today with the help of anti nausea med.

They didn't see any problem with it on the x Ray but they weren't really looking for hat

I'm four weeks out and also cry very easily over nothing! Already several times a day. My stomach seems so bloated and I'm in a stall so that doesn't help. I really have to busy of a life to deal w these emotions! Lol I'm hoping I'll turn the corner soon. Hang in there everyone and remember why we made this decision. No matter the struggles I'm going through now, there's no way I want to go back to pre-surgery

Yeah I've had blood work done. I'm going to try and setup an appointment to see a neurologist per my primary care physician. Just to try and figure out a way to fix my memory issues.

I think depression after major surgery is common. However, what concerns me is your memory problems - like brain fog. You said you had blood work done - did they test your thyroid? TSH, T3 & T4? If not, you need to get them tested and GET A COPY OF THE RESULTS. I can't emphasize this enough on here for everyone - GET COPIES OF EVERYTHING THE DOCTOR SEES, especially the operative report. Be a proactive patient. Don't think if they don't call you the results are normal.

And as for the thyroid - even if it was tested you need to have it tested again next month because the test could have caught it in the normal range while it was on its way up or down.

Minor changes in the thyroid can cause many of the symptoms you are experiencing. It is nothing to fool with. I know.

Big tink, how are you?

Downsizing diva we must be twins. I am 6 wks today postop and have had horrible anxiety and depression. I never had huge issues with this before surgery only with postpartum depression.

I have trouble every morning, dry heving, anxiety, sad thoughts. Nothing like me at all is really happy anymore. I don't care about the weight loss anymore I just want to be happy again. I don't like that my husband and kids see the low that I am at. I am supposed to be strong for them but this low was pretty far. I had thoughts of suicide 3 wks postop and have never been suicidal before. I never thought that I would go into such a depression.

I am on meds now but still get anxiety and nausea all day. I am seeing a psychiatrist and therapist. Just hope this gets better soon. Going to work is difficult now. Hope you come thru your troubles quickly.

Yes that sounds a lot like me. Still have the anxiety and nausea every morning until up into the day. Please keep in touch

Guys, (gals) I really hope your therapy helps. I had a truly terrible set of years and what the other posters have said, esp Inner Surfer Girl are so on. For those on meds and still having trouble, there are many different kinds that help in different ways so if the first one isn't helping, ask for other options. The first one I was on - I think it was Lexapro - made me incredibly sleepy all the time, but worse than that, I felt somehow I was a step behind myself. Which made it scary to drive because I felt my reactions would be a step behind too. I am now on Effexor which has worked well for me.

The other thing I'd suggest is to see if you have anything else going on physically. I didn't realize it for 14 years - just thought it was aging and stress and fat - but I had (have) lyme disease and babesiosis, which can also cause depression among many, many other problems. Now after 6 months on IV antibiotics my lyme titres are still very high (though half of what they were last summer), but between that and the weight loss, I am feeling way better. And I'll tell you in all honesty, there were days - weeks - (maybe years) when I could barely get out of bed and I truly didn't care if I didn't wake up. I have a great family, a sweet job, a fabulous team of co workers, a board that things I'm smart, a group of wonderful friends and yet I was MISERABLE. I just couldn't figure out what the hell was wrong with me. What was wrong is that I was sick. Very sick.

I tell this history of me (I really don't like to talk about my suicidal ideation) because I hope it will give you hope that things can change, if one thing isn't working, try another, and maybe another. Our bodies are so incredibly complex, it may take time and persistence. My heart really goes out to you because I KNOW how hard it is to be in the middle of it.

Keep us apprised.

I've been feeling a few clicks better than I have. It is a daily battle to get, stay, and remain positive. food is going down a lot better than it was so I'm hoping that whatever weird stomach bug I had I'm finally over. As for the depression, I'm still coping with it. A lot of days are good/okay. Like I said a daily battle at this point.

But the fact that I realise what it is and dealing with it through therapy and writing it had gotten better. I just want to get rid of it.

Downsizingdiva I have not had my surgery yet but I am so afraid of going thru what u are experiencing now. My daughter is afraid my personality will change but they don't know the hurt I keep bottled up inside because of my weight. I will be praying for u. Hang in there and ask God for help! He will not let u down . That is going to be my main thought God will get me thru it.

I knew depression was possible but never dreamt it would be this bad and never thought about the insane anxiety. Not trying to scare you, you may be just fine, I'm just being real because I never read anything like this pre op. Thank you for the prayers I will do the same.