Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking Sodas with sleeve?

I drink soda every single day...diet cherry pepsi...mmmm, YUM. It doesn't bother my stomach at all. My doctor told me to lay off the soda and caffeine for the first two months and then if I could drink it if it didn't cause gas pain. There was no sleeve-related medical reason that I couldn't have it and while soda is bad for you, so are a lot of other things, most of which are not made any worse just because we only have 20% of a stomach. I figure I don't smoke, don't do drugs, rarely eat junk food, and rarely drink alcohol....if diet soda is my weakness, I'm pretty happy that's the one I have!

I was told that routine carbonation consumption can stretch your stomach out back to its original size. My surgeon was very, very serious about the consumption of carbonation in any form.

Interesting. My surgeon said nothing could ever stretch your stomach back to its original size, ever.

However, obviously from the stories on this board alone, you can still absolutely regain weight with a reduced stomach size.

Edited by Garifab_VSG

My surgeon warned of a number of things that can stretch your stomach out.

@@kimpossible67 - it's the fizz I miss. I even miss seltzter Water.

I was not a big soda drinker pre-op, and am not quite 3 weeks post-op. I do hope to be able to have a sip or two of Coke later on, but if not, I won't be too upset. Like a previous poster said..there is always Coke Slurpees. :)

I can have sips of my husband's sodas, and from time to time I have my own soda, but we no longer keep sodas in the house and I am no longer a regular soda drinker. I don't want to undo the surgery with carbonation.

I don't drink anything carbonated and do not plan to.

Exactly.

You never hear anyone on the forum concerned about being addicted to Water or apples - it is always fake products made in factories. These industrial giants like Monsanto, Con-Agra, and General Mills create this stuff and then convince us how much we need it because they made it and need to move it out of the warehouse so that they can give their overpaid CEO a multi-million dollar salary while the regular people struggle to make ends meet.

You would be shocked if you took a look at the groceries you bought (especially pre-op) and put them in two categories: Natural food and Made in a Factory. The main ingredients of most soda is Water, dye, chemicals, and caffein. I have always marvelled at how humans can sit and drink a 12 pack of beer during a game, but can't drink an 8 ounce glass of water without gagging. I used to drink a 2 liter of Pepsi with a meal and still want more. Now that I am post-op, it takes an hour to drink 8 ounces of water.

You may want to consider what value you place on your new tummy. Is it just going to be a smaller version of the dumpster that it used to be, or is it going to be a pecision engine that you fuel with the highest octane fuel available? Becoming a post-op NUTRITARIAN will feed your body on a cellular level in such a way as to support a healthy (not just smaller) body. A nutritarian is someone who refuses to eat or drink anything tha does not have some redeeming nutritional value to it.

I miss soda, too. My taste buds argue with me every day, but Miss Tummy has a strong rebuttal with the bubble argument, and I don't feel like giving my money to the mega-factories whose products made me fat in the first place. The closest I come to soda now is Syntax Grapefruit whey Protein made with Crystal Lite Lemonade, which tastes bang-on like Fresca.

Preach! @@Miss Mac

No bubbles allowed!

I've had 2 tiny sips of ye olde sodey pop since I arrived in Sleeveland, and they were both strange experiences. The sensation was odd, tingly, and I felt immediately that I should not take another sip.

One was diet Dad's root beer, YUM! The other was Coke Zero, which was delicious, I'm not going to lie. It might not be a coincidence that so many obese people are "addicted" to diet soda? I know skinny people are too, but skinny doesn't equal healthy! I've heard some evidence that diet soda is still pretty bad for us in a number of ways, I'm not a health professional though.

I used to enjoy an rare Diet Coke or Diet Orange Crush pre-surgery, but have not had more than a small sip once in a blue moon when my husband drinks a Diet Orange Crush. A small sip is just enough to satisfy my "taste" for something other than Water or whatever sugar-free beverage I'm drinking.

My surgeon warned of a number of things that can stretch your stomach out.

@@kimpossible67 - it's the fizz I miss. I even miss seltzter Water.< /p>

I was really dreading not having Diet Coke after surgery. And 9 days out, while there are lots of things I miss and crave, bizarrely Diet Coke isn't one of them.

I'm drinking Water and diet squash, and while Water doesn't taste good to me at the moment, the squash does and I have no real desire for Diet Coke.

However, I do know that I want to be able to live a normal life, and sometimes that might mean having a Diet Coke on an evening out. In particular, I don't want to give up alcohol completely (I'm not a heavy or even a regular drinker, but I do want to be able to have a drink with friends every so often, even if they are empty calories), so that might mean I occassionally want a wine spritzer or carbonated cider or gin and (carbonated) tonic. I hope that I will be able to tolerate these since I know they will not be regular features of my diet, and I had this sleeve so I could live normally and still enjoy things in moderation.

lol you can never stretch your stomach out to anywhere near the original size. period end of story. the fundus ( the elastic part of your stomach ) is removed gone, bye bye, it dont grow back, humans do not regenerate organs. Now your stomach will stretch a bit over time, but you will not stop that, it has to happen or else you wont take in enough nutrition. You will not get fat stretching your stomach you WILL get fat eating the wrong foods, like tix bars and cake and pizza and onion rings a, hmm miss those, etc etc.

oh if your stuck on sodas but cant do carbonation i have a solution, you can buy the sodastream product mixes and mix them up with 1 liter of Water and bingo i use it for my red bull addiction, i use the red bull mix ( yes im allowed caffeine because it does not irritate my sleeve, im lucky i know) to make a bottle of red bull . they have all kinds of flavors for diet drinks. but id give i wasnt allowed caffeine until my 6 weeks post op. they do also have a caffeine free die coke version as well. i tried some carbonated beverage, but i can only take about 2 good sips before the burping is obnoxious and its not very comfortable. so i do without.

I was told no more sodas also.. but not that it would stretch anything.. I don't really drink sodas though.