Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insurance Coverage of Pre-Op Nutrition Class

The hospital system I had my VGS surgery required a $200 upfront payment for the nutrition class that was required before having surgery. This was in addition to the 3 monthly meetings with the nutritionist required and paid for by my insurance. Do most programs require a payment for the "class," where they go over the food plan that you should use for the first few months after surgery? If anyone out there has, I am interested in knowing what the class consisted of, and how much it cost.

I am angry I had to pay this money because it was an hour class with a nutritionist who read off of the packet they gave me previously, and gave me again after surgery. There was no new information, the class wasn't one-on-one, and my insurance does pay for nutrition counseling. I do not understand why they charged $200 for someone to read a copied on a regular (what?! Not even in color!) and stapled booklet of information that I was able to read and follow at home.

I am going to try to get reimbursed from my insurances, but I am quite miffed why this cost occured when all others were paid for by my insurance.

Aetna did not cover the nutritionist counseling/education that was required by the program. I paid $200 also and was told that no insurances pays for that part.

Edited by mae7365

I am covered through Cigna and they covered my visits with the dietician the same as they covered every other visit required for surgery. I would be upset too if they charged me an additional $200 for information I already had.

I'm covered by Straight Medicaid, which covers everything (from NUT meetings to the surgery itself). I'd be real upset if I had to pay $200 for nutritional classes.

Edited by Kimba Marie Angelina Wiggins

I'm covered by Straight Medicaid, which covers everything (from NUT meetings to the surgery itself). I'd be real upset if I had to pay $200 for nutritional classes.

Hi! I just wanted to say my name is Kemba but with an e. Lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

My program also had a non-reimburse able fee that covered the nutrition classes. But, it wasn't for just one class but for lifetime access to their NUT.

I had to pay $600 for my nutritional classes and material out of pocket. Kinda annoyed that they would make this a requirement for surgery and not figure out a way for it to be covered.

Sent from my SM-N900V using the BariatricPal App

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches